NHL is back

Cantousent

I think Belfour's reputation for playing has also been overshadowed by his reputation for being a...*insert mean words here*

He did win a cup with Dallas. He is at the tail end of his career though, as is Cujo (and Potvin when he was traded.) That doesn't mean they don't still have talent, but they aren't in the same class as Broduer and they don't have the upswing potential of Loungo and Nabakov.

I used to love Felix Potvin too. He made some of the prettiest save you would see all year. Of course, that was usually because he was out of position :-"

Has Cujo had any offers so far? He's not going back to Detroit the last I heard.

And on the subject of TO, I have to agree with Alanschu. The way the entire team pretty much blew the series against Philly was quite disappointing, and I'm not even a Leaf fan. Toronto is still putting the same defense on the ice this year, minus Brian Leetch. I think you could put the almighty Jesus in net and Toronto would still lose. From non hitting defencemen to forwards who refuse to backcheck, Toronto should hope to score twelve goals every game this year because from the looks of things they will let in six .

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Speaking of Joseph, tsn.ca is reporting the Coyotes have all but signed him. I didn't realize he is still 107 games over .500 at 396-289-90 . Lets hope his ankle holds up and he proves his critics wrong.

And Mogilny signs with the Devils? Thats a move out of left field. But a line with he, Patrick Elias ( hows that hepatitis treating you?) and Scott Gomez ( my broken pelvis is healed, really) should inspire fear in teams throughout the league.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I don't think so.

If they did I bet it's not for very much money. I'm still half-on half-off about a Messier sigining.

I see a player like him being very useful to players like Stoll, Reasoner, and Horcoff in terms of growth. Since he's getting old, it's hard to say what the year off did for him. He could be fully rested and ready to go, staying in tip top shape for this season.....or he could just be a year older which means a little slower, and so on.

Edmonton would have to change their slogan to City of Captains if he does get signed.

As for SportsNet, I'll admit I have some reservation about going there after their Sean Burke confusion. TSN has been more reliable IMO.

What did they do? I am having a bitch of a time creating an account for their forums. They trash poor Adam Oates in the Oilers thread so much it just about makes me want to cry... :blink:

And of course defend the guy. Edmonton would have won about 30% of their faceoffs if Oatie wasn't there for the call.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

SportsNet had posted an article about Sean Burke going to Pittsburgh, before it was actually confirmed.

They ended up eating their words a practically minutes later, with the annoucement that he was going to Tampa Bay.

Anson Carter to Vancouver for 1 year, 1 million.

Not a bad signing, he could be a good fit with the Sedins. He has a bit of a rep for being lazy though...not to mention he supposedly has an NBA attitude. The Canuck dressing room is pretty tight though, so hopefully they can keep him in check.

Maybe I'm jaded from seeing Brodeur dominate every series he's in? I used to think Belfour was good until he arrived in Toronto.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

According to the Sun, the press conference for Edmonton today is to announce the retiring of Paul Coffeys number. Thats great, but thats not what I was hoping for.

And hopefully Anson Carter takes Jason Kings spot with the Sedins.

Man, two points are going to have to be earned in the West this year.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Did you hear about the squabbles of Martin St. Louis and his bittersweet reaction to Vinnie's contract?

Maybe it's because I'm not a professional athlete, but one thing I know is that I would much rather win than lose. I'm disappointed that Lecavalier wasn't willing to not go for top dollar to ensure that the team could sign his linemate St. Louis.

I guess the more things change the more they stay the same. I would think it would get to the point where money is less of a concern since it's already way past what one would really need to live an affluent lifestyle, but I guess not. Tsk tsk.

Greed will allways be a part of pro sports, for better or worse. On an unrelated note, the NHLNetwork is replaying highlights from the 93 playoff series between St.Louis and TO. Dougie Gilmour versus Cujo and Brett Hull against Felix Potvin. Good stuff. Only 48 more days to go... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

It's not simple greed. It's being paid what you feel youa re worth, and what the market will bare. Every single one of us would do the exact same thing no matter how much we dare deny it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Boo on you ESPN,  If I lived in America I'd boycott your station(s).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133834

Anything and everything ESPN put in the NHL's timeslot last year beat NHL ratings. If Poker is cheaper to cover and has better ratings, then why schill out $70 mill for the NHL?

I like hockey. I miss hockey. I understand ESPN's decision.

I understand why ESPN is sore at the NHL and willing to pull it, but honestly, Poker is not a sport. No one can deny that Hockey is a major world sport. ESPN is supposed to be the leader in sports, and I think by failing to cover hockey they are selling out.

I also think they should cover soccer much better. These are major international sports. If they are failing on ESPN, ESPN needs to find a way to market them. I'm hoping OLN takes this baby and rolls with it. Maybe hockey can become big if it's the primary focus of a network.

ESPN is a business.

The NHL decided to make a mockery of themselves, but even before the strike, the NHL got horrid ratings. Now they will get even worse ratings.

I like hockey, I do. But ESPN does not cover every sport in the world. They don't have a major contract for Lacrosse, which is actually the national sport of Canada, not hockey.

They only cover the most popular sports.