NHL is back

Cantousent

Nonsense. I LOVED the hockey of the alst 10 years. It wasn't slow nor it was boring. Scoring 10 goals in a game won't make it more intertesting; it'll just make goals less important. Though, I for one, don't see goals increasing all that dramatically. NHL coaches for the most part won't allow it to happen because they simply can't afford to.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, it does. Without Messier, the NHl has lost the BEST player ever. That automatically makes it lose lots of its shiniess.

P.S. Gretzky and Lemiux fnaboys can shove their PPG averages up their behinds as it emans nothing to me.

Those two are one dimnesional (greta albeit) players. Mess is a total package - leadership, defense, toughness, offense, and a player who automatically makes those players areound him better: see Graves, Adam.

Fallen from grace? Coming from someone like you who has never been a 'fan' of mine; I'm too worried about that.

"Stating that Messier's departure is a reason to hate the "new" NHL indicates that the new NHL is to blame for his departure."

No. Nowhere in my statement is that even implied.

It is weird though that he didn't stay for just another season. I mean, why not end his career in Edmonton (I know the fans would love that), pass Howe on most games played and score a measly 7 more goals to break the magic 700 goals barrier? I know it means nothing to him, but still.. He wasn't bad in his last season and the fans sure want him back, and he himself said he was healthy. Like I said, it's weird.

Let's hope Crosby & Co. can live up to the hype so we won't miss the old-timers.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Another reason to hate the new NHL!

Bah.

When you state that his retirement is a reason to hate the new NHL, it gives implication that the new NHL is cause for his departure.

If you didn't intend that, then I suggest you practice up making your points a little clearer.

"It is weird though that he didn't stay for just another season. I mean, why not end his career in Edmonton (I know the fans would love that), pass Howe on most games played and score a measly 7 more goals to break the magic 700 goals barrier? I know it means nothing to him, but still.. He wasn't bad in his last season and the fans sure want him back, and he himself said he was healthy. Like I said, it's weird."

Messier said his only choice was the Rangers. Other than that, I 100% agree with you. He may not care about his stats rcords; but his fans do. I wanna him to CRUSH Howe. CRUSH him like poo.

"When you state that his retirement is a reason to hate the new NHL, it gives implication that the new NHL is cause for his departure."

When I state 'new NHL' it's in reference to the fact that there was no NHl last year. And, in a way, the new NHl does play a huge part. It's 99% likely that Mess 9and the other greats who are retiring) would have played last year if there was hockey; but with a year off they learned that they don't nee dhockey as much as they though. Afterall, Mess has been playing in the NHl for over half his life. It's all he knew until last year.

And, he elarned life without the NHl isn't horrible.

Damn the new NHL. It's gonna suck!

Perhaps it would be nice to see Messier play once more! Although being 44 yrs old with a year not playing would make it more difficult!

Yes the NHL is changing but thats why everyone is hoping new guys coming into the league like Crosby, Ovehkin , Phaneuf will develop into the next generation of superstars. The old guard can't hold on forever as much as we would like that

The New NHL = No Messier, and no heart.

Well can't agree on that one, ONE PLAYER does not represent the entire league.

The league will still have great leaders in Yzerman, Sakic, Iginla, and Lemieux(he has proven he is a great leader, just look at how many times he has played injured and even has come back from cancer)

Volourn even though Messier was great for Edmonton he will never be compared with Wayne Gretzky , Gretzky will always represent Edmonton, thats why they even named a street after him ;)

Although for New York I can see Messier Definitely going down as one of their greats

I don't think Messier's accomplishments in Edmonton mean anything to Volourn.

But one player does not represent the league. He's just unhappy because his favourite player is retiring.

Although to state that Gretzky wasn't a leader is a bit, misguided. He wasn't as outspoken as Messier, but the two definitely fed off of each other. The "Boys on the Bus" documentary was very enlightening in that aspect.

I wonder how many people were in similar shoes as us, denying the oncoming of Gretzky and Lemieux while their favourite players like Lafleur and Esposito were in their twilight?

I would agree if we could look back every decade I'm sure it would be the same with the old guard versus the new

Joe Sakic is a terrific player.

Yzerman has been my favourite player for many years now. Gotta love a guy that can barely limp onto the ice, that's still the best player on a very talented team despite have bummed knees that require surgery in the off season.

Or a guy that, despite having a potentially career ending injury in his last game played, still wants to keep playing in spite of the additional year off due to the strike.

A fantastic two way forward, and the longest running captain in league history for good reason.

Oh yeah Yzerman shows true heart wanting to play even if he can't walk !! Perhaps overexciding his limits!! But the city of Detroit will miss him on the ice and off he represented that team with everything he could offer.. It will be a disappointing day when he retires next year.. Detroit won't be the same until they draft another superstar.. whenever that maybe

Well, they do have a couple of young stars in Datsyuk and Zetterburg. Although Datsyuk is already out of the running for the Yzerman successor at this point given his demands of money and then jumping ship to Russia because things weren't going the way he wanted.

He'd have to make quite a recovery to reattain Yzerman successor status :)

Well if they play badly for a number of years then who knows they can get a nice high draft pick!! Washington won't always finish last haha !! True but Zetterburg hasn't played in the league long enough !! And not sure if he will be the leader type! Datsyuk is one dimensional right now and by playing back in Russia that just shows the type of leader he is and I'll give you a hint it three letters and starts with o and ends in e as in himself