NHL is back

Cantousent

So where are you from DT? And more importantly, how much is gas in your town?

To keep this on topic, both Bill Guerin and Jason Smith were members of the 1995 Jersey team that won the cup. Smith did not play in the playoffs that year and only suited for the club twice during the regular season.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I feel the same about Dougie. He was the last player for the Oilers who could say ' I'm changing the tide of this game right now, and I'll do it myself if I have to!' and back it up on a semiconsistant basis.

Please don't admonish me Alanschu but I've been digging through Sportsnets Oiler forums and have been reading nasty things about the Doug Weight deal. Like how Kevin Lowe never even made him an offer to turn down. How much is true, who knows? I take it with a grain of salt but its still interesting.

And don't get me started on the Tommy Salo/Mike Comrie feud... :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Mariusz Czerkawski, huh? That would be a good addition to the wing-clipped Leafs. Mariusz played a long time in Sweden before he joined the NHL. He used to be very good and a consistant goal scorer, and I always thought he was swedish. That is until he moved away for the NHL and they said he was polish. He speaks fluent swedish though, and back then he was dating an extremely pretty swedish actress/model..

I think he could put up some pretty decent numbers if he played with a good center. Seeing as half of Toronto's dressing room is made of quality centers, that won't be a problem (Sundin, Lindros, Allison).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Crap. Losing Kovalchuk is actually a big blow for the NHL. He might not be the best player or anything, but he sure can put on a show to please the crowd. I remember one game (can't remember against who) when the coach of the opposite team made the refs measure the curve on Kovalchuk's blade. It was deemed to be too steep and he was sent off the ice for 2 minutes. The second Kovalchuk got back on the ice, he got a quick pass, exploded into the offensive zone and made a spectacular goal (with his new stick). Then, instead of celebrating the goal, he skated back to the other teams bench, holding up and showing them the stick all the way past them. There were more than one guy on that bench that wanted to beat the **** out of him then. And that was during his rookie year! I love his attitude :)

And don't forget nothing has been confirmed with Kovalchuk yet either. The source is unreliable at best.

I just read at TSN.com that Al MacInnis has decided to hang up his skates as well. Goalies and shot blocking forwards are breathing a sigh of relief. Does that make Eric Brewer the no.1 D man in St.Louis?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

St. Louis will have a hard time making the playoffs since the owners didn't want to spend money to buy out Keith Tkachuk!

On d they have Brewer, Weinrich,Jackman and Salvador the rest is not even worth mentioning!! Poor Blues fans not!!!

Also to note James Patrick has retired!! Not a flashy D but has been steady over 21 seasons

Olli Jokinen still has signed a new contract with Florida ! Since he will be unrestricted after this season !! Wonder if Iron Mike Keenan will drive him out of town !!

I just read on ESPN NHL that Forsberg is injured again.. one week into training camp.. :)

Guess the Leafs aren't the only ones with permanent rooms in the nearest hospital.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=135861&hubName=nhl

I guess we won't be seeing 'The Old One' after all. It feels like the Hall of Fame will be packed with new inductees after this season! McInnis, Stevens and Messier, all in one year. Oh well, I am glad we have Ovechkin, Crosby, perhaps Malkin and of course the batch from the last few years, Nash, Kovalchuk, Ruuttu.

A lot of the perennial big names are getting pretty old. Yzerman and Sakic to name two.

I had a feeling Moose would be retiring this year. A lot of the older guys I think, given the year off, have experienced life without hockey and have gotten used to it.

I'm still surprised that Yzerman is going at it, but I suspect he's the type of player that didn't want to end his career with an injury. Just seems like something he would do.

I, for one, would like to tip my hat to one of the greatest hockey players of our generation. Thanks for the memories, Mark Messier.

Who is left to retire? I haven't heard anything about Ron Francis lately.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yes it really seems the era of the great players is almost gone! But perhaps Mr. Volourn you should wait and see how the new rules really play out before you judge the product..

For the last ten years we had great players BUT you were not able to see them play to their potential because of the defensive hockey, grabbing,slashing and expansion which diluted the talent. IF these new rules allow a faster , higher scoring league than the NHL will be on the right road to recovery

Oh and too add for any Montreal Fans Michel Ryder has signed a 1 yr deal for 1 million