NHL is back

Cantousent

Don't take this the wrong way Mkreku, as you seem sane, but I've been having a barrel of laughs with some of the bizarre postings that Leafs fans have made.  Apparently they also had Forsberg and Naslund stolen from them, in addition to the Bulin wall.

I am quite aware of my fellow Leafs fans state of mind, thank you very much :) I've made the mistake of hanging out in a few Maple Leafs boards :p

But they're not THAT wrong. Apparently the Leafs have been in the bidding war for all of those players mentioned above. And they've lost every single one of them! The days when the mere name of the Toronto Maple Leafs was awe-inspiring are over. I think the Leafs fans (myself included) will get over it, bitterly, in a few.. seasons. Let the rebuilding commence..

Ray Whitney is a Hurricane now. Oh well.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh Mkreku, I'm really sorry that your Leaf's took Owen Nolan off my Sharks hands.  I was so happy when he left the Sharks.  The guy has had one good season in his entire career.  He was a money pit.

Yes. I know. And now he's demanding 12 million $ more for not playing a single game in two years. A really classy guy.

Like I said before, its good to see greed is still alive, and for every player that takes less money to play with a certain team, there will be knobs like Owen Nolan to make them look bad.

And Hurlshot, you can rip/praise whoever you want. This isn't Russia, and you are entitled to your opinion.

Whitney to the Canes? I see Kevin Lowe signing Chris Gratton in return... :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I do have one thing to say about the Penguins...

I fear them.

They now have a cast of players who can make the playoffs. That alone is not frightening. The players they picked up, and the one they drafted, are no better than the cast of any other team. The problem lies in Lemieux.

Mario Lemieux is a magician, and I mean the type of magician that should be feared. Physically he should not be playing. He doesn't have the speed or youth. But somehow, when he touches the puck, anything can happen. If this magician enters the playoffs healthy, he can crumble ANY team. Most of the kids in the NHL may say that he's just another player, but at night he will haunt them and they will wet themselves. These children grew up hearing stories about Mario.

He is the only real magician in the NHL. Gretzky isn't coming back.

I forgot to mention: swedish newspapers (Aftonbladet) reported rumours today that the Red Wings are having cap troubles and that they might not be able to hold on to both Datsuyk (wants 4 mil) and Zetterberg (wants 2.5 mil). Apparently Toronto is going after Zetterberg! Now, if they could pull off a move like that, I would immediately stop whining and start praising Ferguson! I've followed Zetterberg from TV-pucken (swedish youth tournament) through his Elitserie-years (swedish national league, where he carried a Division 1 team into the elite league and kept them there, despite being the ONLY good player on his team.. I wouldn't be surprised if he even played as a goalie some nights :blink:) and into the NHL. I am certain he will evolve into a star in the next few years.

Go, Fergy!

Through the miracle of BellExpressVu and NHL center ice, I watched more Pittsburgh games than I would have liked to in the last campaign. There are some talented kids in their system already, like Ryan Malone. And Marc Andre Fleury can only get better, I think. The team is a little soft of the defensive side , but if you can score enough goals that doesn't really matter.

And forgotten is the pens pick from the year before, Evengi Malkin. Apparantley quite gifted himself, if he signs with the club it could be a long season for New Jersey, but probably not for Philly.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

If you listen to the latest discussion with Kevin Lowe, before even Kariya was 100% confirmed, he mentions that budget wise he's probably right around where he'd like to be, and that his priorities had shifted to getting Ryan Smyth penned for a deal.

It's possible we still might do something, but I'm not holding my breath, nor am I overwhelmingly concerned. It's still possible the Reasoner/Handzus trade rumour may materialize, which would be nice and give us a little bit more size up front. I think Josef Stumpel is still available, but I honestly have little idea of what type of player he is.

I just question whether the big pickups are going to propel them forward in the playoffs. I believe it takes every team a few years to gel, unless you coach is Scotty Bowman (and even he had a few tough playoff years after dominating the regular season.)

I think it can sometimes be hit and miss. The big thing about the Pronger and Peca acquistions is that it has the players (and also the fans) very excited. I don't think it's impossible for new players to find their niche in the team and if things are a bit lucky, start clicking relatively quickly.

Peca and Pronger both seem very enthusiastic as well, and there was a great crowd out to welcome them. It was really neat because when Pronger put his jersey on and waved at the crowd, and people just started cheering, you could see he was trying to be modest and "professional" and stuff with a little smile on his face, but as the crowds cheering just kept getting louder, you could see he couldn't help but break into a big grin. It's flattering to receive such a warm reception (from fans and the organization alike...he mentioned a big thing about going to Edmonton was how much interest Lowe was expressing in him).

Also important, is that the current group of players seem eager to want to integrate the new guys into the line up. Peca was joking about a PPV event with Georges Laraque for #27, as long as he could bring in a big stick :D (for the record Peca said he didn't care a whole lot, and will be wearing 37).

There's definitely a buzz of excitement, and that excitement can be motivating which can help a team do great things.

Having said that, I'm not going to be upset if the Oilers don't win the Stanley Cup, and nor do I demand them to get deep into the playoffs. I think the acquistions help fill up some of our previous weak spots on our team, as well as provide additional experience to a relatively young team, and having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers were able to do quite well this season.

EDIT: I wonder if there's any chance of him bringing back Moose for a last hurrah ;) Lowe mentioned that he hadn't even spoken with Messier so he's not sure what Messier's plans are, but he did say that he felt Messier could be a solid contributor to the team as it is now.

I also notice Mario Lemieux is an UFA :unsure:" :(

I just hope the latest rumours are true: Big Eric to Toronto for 1.5 million $. I don't care if it's a gamble as long as the stakes aren't ridiculous. For that prize I think he's worth the risk. That would mean Toronto has THREE big, talented centers, although Sundin did start his carrer as a left wing. Just too bad two of the centers are like.. one hit away from retirement :(

Hmm.. Lindros to Toronto. Meh. The Rangers fail again. Lindros may not be the premiere center in the game anymore; but he's still top of the line. At 1.5 mil that's a plain old fashion 'steal' even with the risk of another concussion. Don't forget, he's had an entire year to relax (other than keeping in shape, I presume), and to further recover from the repeated concussions. That cna only be good. I'm no Leaf fan; but they are gonna be even more dnagerous.

As for the Penguins, I think people are overrating how good the Pens will be this year. With an unproven goalie, an older Lemieux, and a rookie even with some of their other additions; I don't think they'll be a threat to win the cup. they *might* pull off .500 and a play-off spot though which is huge improvement from 2003-2004.

And, the Ranger falls continues... The one good thing about being a Rnager fan beofre was even though it failed in the end, the Rangers as an organization were always trying to win. Now, it seems they are purposefully trying to lose all their good players which means they are gonna waste Jagr, and Bure (is he still playing?)...

Gah.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You really don't want Lindros.  I think I already gave me speil about him.  He can't play the style of hockey that made him a top pick, and so he's not worth any money.  He'd be another Owen Nolan for the Leafs.

But this time the new Nolan is a 1.5 million $ one year deal (if it goes through, it's only a rumour so far). I think that's worth giving him a chance on a new team, with a fully healed body (but not head). It wouldn't sting almost at all if he was a complete failure.

In the Edmonton Sun this morning they talk about Messier resigning with the Oilers. Or not. From the sound of the article, it appears the Mighty Moose has decided to call it quits... :thumbsup:

And Volourn, Pavel Bure is done like yesterdays dinner. His knees are shot. He couldn't pass the physical to play in 03/04.

I don't think that anyone really expects Lindros to put up fifty points. Thirty five to forty , I think would be a solid return. Maybe the year off has helped. You just can't tell for sure until he puts his head down and tries to skate over the blue line... :thumbsup:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Cant they have regular people to play just for fun, and pay all those millions to the poor? :thumbsup:

(although Peter Forsberg has bought a lot of nice things for the people in

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Didn't Forsberg build a rink in his hometown or something like that?

And on an unrelated note, someone at work was telling me that Tie Domi had a bit of a run-in with former Toronto Gm Bill Watters. Words were said, people got mad and Domi walked out of an interview. Does anyone have any info on this? I can't seem to find any online.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Tie Domi vs Bill Watters

As for Lindrose to Toronto. Well it's been said, 1.5 million is a steal, and why not try it out? Now, what they need to do is get more defence.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Sure thing ;)

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

I was thinking about what the Toronto Maple Leafs would really need (except for the obvious) and I think the team would be better off with some high scoring defensive liability, despite them not having a stellar defense either.

I read this about Sundin's 2003/2004 season (which I thought sucked):

"Finished first on the team in games played (81), first in goals, first in assists, first in points, first in powerplay goals, first in shorthanded assists, first in shorthanded points, first in game winning goals, first in shots (226), first among team forwards in average ice time (19:52), first in multiple point games (24), second in powerplay assists, second in powerplay points, second in multiple assist games (5-tie), fourth in plus/minus (+11), fourth in multiple goal games (2-tie) and fourth in faceoff winning percentage (53.0%)".

Mats needs a little in-club competition! One player should not be able to dominate the team stats like that, if the team is a balanced one. I like Sundin a lot, but no team that's a one-trick pony is going to go far in the play-offs. I'm really hoping Allison can return to his former game and that if the Leafs sign Lindros that he can contribute offensively too (Even though I have no idea where they would play him. Third line?!) like he used to on the Legion of Doooooom.

Who knows, maybe GFjr. will dig Robert Reichel out of the mothballs. I'm not envious of anyone who is a Leaf fan this year ( sorry Mkreku). And they really look to be in a rough spot, being so close to the cap and all. It looks like they are going to have to trade someone to bring lesser priced players. But by that same point, most of the players under contract in TO are so pricey that I'm not too sure if anyone wants to trade for a Bryan McCabe or Ed Belfour. All I can say is good luck, Mkreku, cos your team is gonna need it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

"I don't think that anyone really expects Lindros to put up fifty points."

if Lindros is reasonably healthy, and plays a decent amount of games this year; I expect NO LESS than 50 points for him. :wub:

I think peple including Leaf fans have underestimated what Lidnros can still do. the only big mark against him is his concussions. If he stays away from those, after the 1 year of his 1.5 mil contratc; he is once again likely able to ask to be one of the highest paid players.

If he stays healthy. If. If is very big for Lindros..

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My favourite rumour site reports that the Leafs/Lindros deal is not going to happen. Oh well. Let's hope that the Zetterberg rumour turns out to be true instead then.

Looks like Gretzky will officially be coaching the Coyotes now.

And my poor, poor husband the Avalanche fan agreed to drive out to Denver this season to catch an Edmonton/Colorado game. Muahahahahahaha!

Proud purveyor, owner and operator of the Wonder Twins