NHL is back

Cantousent

I never did like the fact that Lacrosse is our "national" sport.

What is a national sport really anyways? We didn't have any lacrosse teams in my high school, nor do I think we had any in any of the Edmonton school areas.

Don't know of any Lacrosse teams of any kind actually, but hockey teams of all ages are all over the place.

Doesn't matter what we as individuals want ESPN top show. It only matters what the majority of ESPN viewers want to watch, and if other sports or 'sports' get higher ratings than NHL Hockey than I don't blame ESPN one iota if they go another direction.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Doesn't matter what we as individuals want ESPN top show. It only matters what the majority of ESPN viewers want to watch, and if other sports or 'sports' get higher ratings than NHL Hockey than I don't blame ESPN one iota if they go another direction.

Instead we should blame other ESPN viewers! >_< I like you're style Volourn.

By the way, what do you think about this season's Tampa Bay Lightning? Ok, they managed to hold on to Lecavalier and the nameless mass of players, but they lost Khabibulin and it looks like they will have a hard time keeping Martin St. Louis and Brad Richards. Suddenly the Bolts doesn't look like a Cup winner anymore..

They're my girlfriend's favourite team so I can't say I'm too upset.. :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think Tampa will get their core players signed for this year, but thats it. St.Louis will probably bolt (ha ha, lame I know) after this season. And I don't see why Vinny got the big deal. Hell, he was trade bait and in Tortorellas doghouse before the 03/04 season. Funny, but i still don't see him as the Art Ross winner.

I think they will make the playoffs but won't advance past the second round.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I never really thought much of Tampa, they sort of caught the NHL in a year where there was only a couple of good teams, and no real great teams. Tampa will probaly have a tough time qualifing for the playoffs this year

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think the team in the East most likely to struggle this year (aside from the obvious choice Toronto) will be New Jersey. You can't be sure Mogilny and his arthritic hip will hold up. Scott Gomez likes to follow up career years by underachievment and relegation to the second line. I won't point out the obvious about Patrick Elias, who is basically the only consistent performer. And although Martin Brodeur is still one of the if not the top goalie in the league, I thought he looked tired and old when he was beat by Tuommo Ruutu.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I think the team in the East most likely to struggle this year (aside from the obvious choice Toronto) will be New Jersey.  You can't be sure Mogilny and his arthritic hip will hold up.  Scott Gomez likes to follow up career years by underachievment and relegation to the  second line.  I won't point out the obvious about Patrick Elias, who is basically the only consistent performer.  And although Martin Brodeur is still one of the if not the top goalie in the league, I thought he looked tired and old when he was beat by Tuommo Ruutu.

Ya I think you're right, Brodeur will have to be amazing just to get NJ into the playoffs, by the time they actually role around he'll be exhausted.

But on the other hand, they do worship the Dark One, and thats pretty powerful magic.

I wonder why they have never tried to sign Satan, theirs would be the perfect marriage

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I can't really say, I don't follow the Devils at all, does John Madden still lace it up for them?

Where the real action is taking place this year:

AirCanadaCentre.jpg

Air Canada Centre, Toronto!

(Yes, I was bored with too much time on my hands :) )

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Since there wasn't really any news on the NHL this weekend, I thought I'd pass along some rumors. Brendan Witt from Washington wants out, and Montreal and Toronto are in the mix.

And Scott Stevens told a newspaper he's seriously contemplating retirement. Which would be bad for New Jersey and good for the NHL, since injuries due to concussions should decrease.

Here's a nifty article about the Western Conference:http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/08/21/1182359-sun.html

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Some guy was trying to tell me that any player that hits a player with his head down should get an automatic suspension for 20 games. And a repeat offense should get full season suspensions.

He considered Stevens a dirty hitter for hitting people with their head down. Felt that Stevens only really tried to crunch people when they had their head down.

I disagree of course :) I think Stevens always tried to crunch people....just that those with their head down aren't anticipating or preparing for the contact.

I wouldn't be surprised about Stevens' retirement. He is getting pretty up there in age as well.

Some guy was trying to tell me that any player that hits a player with his head down should get an automatic suspension for 20 games.  And a repeat offense should get full season suspensions.

I just think it should be if people cheap shot others, then its open season for the other team to pound the everliving **** out of the guy. Once this is allowed again and enforcers are actually useful again, you'll have less injuries because people will be afraid to take cheap shots because they'll get pounded. No one gets injured in hockey fights, injuries come from the cheap shots that result in the inability to vent agression because of the crackdown on harmless fights.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Is Brian Burke insane? First, he wastes two mil on Rob Neidermeyer, now Teemu Salami? I honestly thought he was pretty shrewd in Vancouver, but now I'm not so sure. Its a good thing I hate the Ducks anyway. Who's next for their team, Brian Savage?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Holy ****! I just read on TSNs website that Ottawa is moving Marian Hossa for Danny Heatley. Now thats a trade! And the Canucks signed yet another former Oiler today in Josh Green.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I think Teemu for 1 million isn't actually a bad deal.

If we adhere to the rule changes, he still has some quickness and has fantastic hands. A one shot scorer to be sure.

Rob Niedermeyer? Well, that was a way to circumvent the cap and sign Scott Niedermeyer for 9 million ;)

EDIT: Wow, Hossa for Heatley.

Lets hope Heatley returns to form with a new enviroment. I wonder if Kovalchuk is going to resign with the Thrashers now that his buddy is gone.

I don't think of Selanne as the offensive force he once was. If he plays on a line with Federov and Sykora he might put up decent numbers, but I'm not too sure if that will make Rob Neidermeyer very happy ;)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I think a lot of Selanne's recent production "issues" came from being like 7th man on the totem pole while in Colorado.

He was still a 30 goal scorer in San Jose.

But with no red line, and hopefully less obstruction with the smaller goalie equipment, I think he has the possibility of doing quite well. It is a gamble, but for only a million I think he's worth it.

Who knows, maybe he'll pull out a 76 goal season :D

Selanne was not impressive in San Jose. Even getting solid minutes and 27 goals, he tended to miss a lot of good chances and score when it mattered least. I really think the "game winning goal" stat category is pretty important, and the fact is Selanne missed some BIG chances in the playoffs (In game 7 againsts the Av's he missed an open net on a wrap around, Sharks lost 1-0.) He'll probably score 20 goals, but he'll also be a hazard defensively. It's like the Ray Sheppard syndrome.

Still, 1 million is a good price for him in Anahiem because he will make the fans happy. He is loved in Anahiem, and you probably have a good deal of tickets sold because he's back.

Rob Neidermeyer is a pretty solid two-way player. The Ducks lean on him heavily as the guy who can stifle the opponents top line. I don't think they overpaid, but after getting Scott it seems like pure genius on Brian Burke's part.