BACK FROM MEXICO!

Child of Flame

(See the locked topic 'Not So Random Acts of Kindness' for the pretense)

I just got back in. Our base of operations was the Church in Ensenada we'd already built awhile ago, I wasn't there for that one. After that, we rode the busses an hour and a half in each direction morning and night to Puerta la Trumpa and Ohos Negros. We had Vacation Bible School with the Onion Field Workers' kids, and left duffle bags of non-perishable foods with them before we left, we also took similar duffle bags up to an orphanage in Tijuana. We got all the framing done on the clinic, and roofed it with the felt covering that made it water tight. All that's left is finishing work and wiring, as well as the roofing tiles. A few of the boys in the youth group are also raising money for their Senior projects to drill a well. It will be some of the only good water in that part of Mexico that's not bottled if they manage to raise the $4000. Small groups of contractors, and possibly some of the youth will be making trips down there the rest the year to finish the Clinic, it should be staffed shortly thereafter. It will treat patients for free, taking donations when available, and is attached to a non-profit missions group that profides medical treatment (St. Lucas Foundation IIRC. )

Congratulations, Servant. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

You know, folks always look at the bad things and figure, because evil* is far more noteworthy, that the "bad guys" are winning. Who the bad guy might be, from "corparate America" to "damned terrorists," doesn't really matter. Folks look for evil things and find evil in every place they look.

Your experience serves to highlight the underlying truth of our world, there is more good than bad. There are more people in the world doing good things than there are doing bad things. The good things people do are far grander than the bad things people do.

Pride is a sin, I suppose, but I think you should sin a little and take some pride in doing something good. As long as it doesn't go straight to your head and take up residence, I think God will overlook the sin of pride every now and then. ;)

*yes, there are some things in this world for which "evil" is the only applicable term

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Glad you had a good trip and you felt it was successful.

I'm curious - did the local people help with the construction, or was it just your group doing it for them?

The local pastor helped quite a bit, the one who did most of the on site coordination, getting the land, etc. Most of the local people were busy working in the fields, the adults at least. The Federalis totally liked us after the first couple days or so, and stopped even making us sit though the checkpoints, and the local people were all rubbernecking every time the passed the work site. Word of medical facilities apparently spreads extremely fast in rural farm towns.

The local pastor helped quite a bit, the one who did most of the on site coordination, getting the land, etc.  Most of the local people were busy working in the fields, the adults at least.  The Federalis totally liked us after the first couple days or so, and stopped even making us sit though the checkpoints, and the local people were all rubbernecking every time the passed the work site.  Word of medical facilities apparently spreads extremely fast in rural farm towns.

Interesting. I ask because I'm touching on this issue in the dissertation I'm writing at the moment. A lot of donors like USAID and the World Bank now insist that they'll only give money if the local community gives something, too - like construction material or free labour - to the project. It's very controversial - on the one hand, it means the community feels they 'own' and are responsible for the project, so it's more likely to be used and cared for. On the other hand, for the very poorest in the community it can be impossible to contribute anything, making them even more marginalised and feeling that they have no right to use the new facility, thus defeating the whole purpose.

*sigh* I need to stop posting here and actually get back to writing my dissertation. :lol:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The local pastor helped quite a bit, the one who did most of the on site coordination, getting the land, etc.  Most of the local people were busy working in the fields, the adults at least.  The Federalis totally liked us after the first couple days or so, and stopped even making us sit though the checkpoints, and the local people were all rubbernecking every time the passed the work site.  Word of medical facilities apparently spreads extremely fast in rural farm towns.

Interesting. I ask because I'm touching on this issue in the dissertation I'm writing at the moment. A lot of donors like USAID and the World Bank now insist that they'll only give money if the local community gives something, too - like construction material or free labour - to the project. It's very controversial - on the one hand, it means the community feels they 'own' and are responsible for the project, so it's more likely to be used and cared for. On the other hand, for the very poorest in the community it can be impossible to contribute anything, making them even more marginalised and feeling that they have no right to use the new facility, thus defeating the whole purpose.

*sigh* I need to stop posting here and actually get back to writing my dissertation. :-

Extrapolation: The land is public land, donated by the state. All the materials were purchased with bootstrapped monies provided by my church. My church is an Independant denomination, and therefore has no fiscal or overwhelmingly social ties to anyone but it's body. All labors were provided voluntarily by contractors and youth within the bodies of the two churches that collaborated on this, this is one of I think two years that we've collaborated with another church, this recent change is because a former Intern, and a former Youth Pastor from my church both took positions at the same church in Pheonix (new positions were Youth Pastor and Senior Pastor respectively).

I guess you could say this means they have as much entitlement to it as they would any piece of public land. The only reason the St. Lucas foundation is involved, is because it was the most feasible way to keep the clinic staffed with doctors. If we had required materials or labor from locals, I doubt the clinic would have been built, there are simply no monies and all the locals are dirt poor.

The point I'm getting at isn't so much about who legally owns the land or the building. It's more to do with whether the local community feel that this new facility is part of their community or a foreign outpost that's nothing to do with them. If that sounds strange at first reading, yes I agree, but you'd be surprised how many development projects (schools, clinics etc.) end up decaying and unused simply because the local people feel distanced from them. People are sad when the facilities are lost, but feel that maintaining or reparing the facilities is beyond them, because creating them was also beyond them. In a sense, they're excluded from the process, and it's difficult to bring them in at a later stage when they weren't in at the start.

I'm not saying any of this is necessarily true for your project, because you know the details much better than I do. Nor am I intending it as a criticism, because the alternative path (to ask local people to contribute) is equally problematic for a dozen reasons, including the fact that many people are so poor. I merely offer it as food for thought. It's also a pleasant distraction from my work. :-

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The point I'm getting at isn't so much about who legally owns the land or the building.  It's more to do with whether the local community feel that this new facility is part of their community or a foreign outpost that's nothing to do with them.  If that sounds strange at first reading, yes I agree, but you'd be surprised how many development projects (schools, clinics etc.) end up decaying and unused simply because the local people feel distanced from them.  People are sad when the facilities are lost, but feel that maintaining or reparing the facilities is beyond them, because creating them was also beyond them.  In a sense, they're excluded from the process, and it's difficult to bring them in at a later stage when they weren't in at the start. 

I'm not saying any of this is necessarily true for your project, because you know the details much better than I do.  Nor am I intending it as a criticism, because the alternative path (to ask local people to contribute) is equally problematic for a dozen reasons, including the fact that many people are so poor.  I merely offer it as food for thought.  It's also a pleasant distraction from my work. :-

I think the clinic will do alright, if only from past experience. The Church has been up for several years now, and remains in pristine condition, despite a few break ins, and one burglary in which the theives stole all the pots and pans.

The people seem to feel attachment, even though they weren't helping us build it, they were coming by and chatting off and on all day, the ones who didn't have time to chat, were, as I mentioned, rubbernecking. I hope it will do alright, I'm sure the local Pastor will see to it that it does. :rolleyes:

Hooray!  Well done, SOE.  :(  Hope the well project goes well, too.  See, metadigital?  Christians can be good people.  And that is what we are all about.  :p  (waits for him to start flaming)

Indeed... towards certain groups of people. :ph34r:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Hooray!  Well done, SOE.  :(  Hope the well project goes well, too.  See, metadigital?  Christians can be good people.  And that is what we are all about.  :p  (waits for him to start flaming)

You shut it. Christians come in all different stripes of beliefs and tolerance.

Thanks for the correction Lancer. I got it off of a Billboard for Coke, and the literal translation amuses me. (w00t)

Hooray!  Well done, SOE.  :(  Hope the well project goes well, too.  See, metadigital?  Christians can be good people.  And that is what we are all about.  :)  (waits for him to start flaming)

Thanks for the correction Lancer. I got it off of a Billboard for Coke, and the literal translation amuses me. (w00t)

You don't know the nature of our recent discussions on the board, so don't f ucking tell me to shut it.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Well, I do. You should shut it.

Welcome back, o'Child of Flame.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Hooray!  Well done, SOE.  :(  Hope the well project goes well, too.  See, metadigital?  Christians can be good people.  And that is what we are all about.  :)  (waits for him to start flaming)

You don't know the nature of our recent discussions on the board, so don't f ucking tell me to shut it.

Yes, yes I do. In fact, it wouldn't have even took me looking over the threads for the past few days to know you were referring to intolerance towards homosexuals. Whenever someone says that at this point in time, they're referring to lack of tolerance towards homosexuals. I stand by what I said, shut it.

Well, I do. You should shut it.

Welcome back, o'Child of Flame.

Thanks Mus. :)

Umm..good job. :(

Welcome back and all that jazz. I suppose my hatred for all organized religion is slightly lessened by your actions, though dont expect that goodwill to last for long! :)

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I'm just glad some folks now have medical care. I agree with Steve in that I think it is better if the community helps in such projects. Nevertheless, that's not always how it works.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Wow, I guess flame wars can start anywhere can't they? The Christians with the "lack of tolerance" also happen to be the loud ones. A few outspoken members do not define the whole. I as well as most Christians I know have no problem whatsoever with gays and gay marriage and wish them all the happiness in the world.

With that said, enough flaming! We should be congratulating SoE for the good work, not arguing.

sig2.gif

Wow, I guess flame wars can start anywhere can't they?    The Christians with the "lack of tolerance" also happen to be the loud ones.  A few outspoken members do not define the whole.  I as well as most Christians I know have no problem whatsoever with gays and gay marriage and wish them all the happiness in the world.

With that said, enough flaming!  We should be congratulating SoE for the good work, not arguing.

Meh, there's no denying that the religious text Christianity is based on (both Old and New Testaments) condemn homosexuality. There's also no denying that Jesus didn't speak out about it once in his thirty-five years on the Earth. That leads me to believe the best action to take is tolerance.