What's your favorite colour?

Bytor

Prussian/Parisian Blue has always been a favorite of mine but I wont turn down a bit of Cadmium

Red if offered :D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My favorite is black (I'm starting to see a pattern around here), but I'm going to paint my room a stormy gray (the one with just a hint of blue).  That's a beautiful color right there. :thumbsup:

Ahh... I had a girlfriend with eyes that colour, once upon a time. Beautiful, as you say.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My favorite COLOR is black.

Well sorry, but I happen to speak the Queen's English, rather than a bastardised version of a noble language :thumbsup:

Let's not go there. :ph34r:

My favourite colour is primary green. :luck:

OK I appologise but I do not appreciate people correcting me when I was right the first time

I concur, I'm not even a native English speaker, but I too use the 'ou' whenever I can, it just seems... right.

Oh and my own favorite colOUr would be... black, goes with my mood.

EDIT: Oh and metallic dark gray, if you can call that a colour. :">

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Have to disagree there.  English is defined by how people speak it.  If the majority of English speakers decide that Black is a colour, then it is in fact a colour.  If the dictionary definitions do not allow for this, then either their definition of "Black" or their definition of "Colour" is inadequate.

But not to worry, the dictionary does account for it:

black

adj.,

1. Being of the color black, producing or reflecting comparatively little light and having no predominant hue.

Launch is 100% correct. She said:

Technically, black isn't a colour...  :-"

whereas you are trying to refute a specific technical definition (i.e. black is the absence of colour, just as white is the sum total of all colours) with a common idiometric usage.

You are correct that in the vulgar colloquial, black is regarded as a colour, but Launchie is correct in saying that technically black is not a colour, but the absence of all colour.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Have to disagree there.  English is defined by how people speak it.  If the majority of English speakers decide that Black is a colour, then it is in fact a colour.  If the dictionary definitions do not allow for this, then either their definition of "Black" or their definition of "Colour" is inadequate.

But not to worry, the dictionary does account for it:

black

adj.,

1. Being of the color black, producing or reflecting comparatively little light and having no predominant hue.

Launch is 100% correct. She said:

Technically, black isn't a colour...  :-"

whereas you are trying to refute a specific technical definition (i.e. black is the absence of colour, just as white is the sum total of all colours) with a common idiometric usage.

You are correct that in the vulgar colloquial, black is regarded as a colour, but Launchie is correct in saying that technically black is not a colour, but the absence of all colour.

No, under a specific, rigid definition restricted to physics, black is not a colour, but black is a colour both coloquially and technically. You'll note that the dictionary definition I provided does not include colloquial beside it, and in formal use black is also a colour. You will find the term black used as the name for a colour in both formal english and in industries such as clothing production.

Black is a colour. It is also the absence of all colour. This does not mean that black is technically not a colour any more than a pound is technically not a unit of currency because it also happens to be a unit of weight.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

No, under a specific, rigid definition restricted to physics, black is not a colour, but black is a colour both coloquially and technically.  You'll note that the dictionary definition I provided does not include colloquial beside it, and in formal use black is also a colour.  You will find the term black used as the name for a colour in both formal english and in industries such as clothing production.

Black is a colour.  It is also the absence of all colour.  This does not mean that black is technically not a colour any more than a pound is technically not a unit of currency because it also happens to be a unit of weight.

Ah, but twelve (imperial) ounces is not a colour, is it? You are deliberately and disingenuously conflating the meanings of two homonyms.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, under a specific, rigid definition restricted to physics, black is not a colour, but black is a colour both coloquially and technically.  You'll note that the dictionary definition I provided does not include colloquial beside it, and in formal use black is also a colour.  You will find the term black used as the name for a colour in both formal english and in industries such as clothing production.

Black is a colour.  It is also the absence of all colour.  This does not mean that black is technically not a colour any more than a pound is technically not a unit of currency because it also happens to be a unit of weight.

Ah, but twelve (imperial) ounces is not a colour, is it? You are deliberately and disingenuously conflating the meanings of two homonyms.

Twelve ounces isn't a colour, but black is. I fail to see the difference between the two different meanings of pound and the two different meanings of black. Technically, black is a colour, as centuries of usage in formal english, artistry, and clothing will attest to. The fact that one particular field of science chooses a different definition of black does not make that definition the technical one.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

...in the vulgar colloquial, black is regarded as a colour, but Launchie is correct in saying that technically black is not a colour, but the absence of all colour.

It's not the vulgar colloquial. It's a valid alternative meaning, I suppse.

When I buy a pack of twelve colour felt-tip pens, the pack does not say "Eleven colour pens and one absence-of-colour pen".

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Twelve ounces isn't a colour, but black is. I fail to see the difference between the two different meanings of pound and the two different meanings of black. Technically, black is a colour, as centuries of usage in formal english, artistry, and clothing will attest to. The fact that one particular field of science chooses a different definition of black does not make that definition the technical one.

Actually, there were precious few colours in historical usage, owing to a dearth of methods to create them. That is why such a fuss was made about lapis lazuli, which is mined from a small singlular area in present-day Afghanistan. You will find that there are precious few sources of "black" pigments in nature. For example, there have been ongoing efforts to research a "black" rose; recently there have been "black" tulips and a rose, but if you analyse these flowers you will see that they are darker hues of purples, etc.

Nature doesn't have a lot of use for a non-colour, like black.

Irrespective of historical chomatics, however, you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical. Would you insist that a Mole of Gold is a small furry mammal, too?

:lol:

...in the vulgar colloquial, black is regarded as a colour, but Launchie is correct in saying that technically black is not a colour, but the absence of all colour.

When I buy a pack of twelve colour felt-tip pens, the pack does not say "Eleven colour pens and one absence-of-colour pen".

They don't tell you the make-up of the colours generally, do they? It is a specious and circular argument to say that in the common idiom black is a colour, because in common usage it is regarded as a colour!

:-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually, there were precious few colours in historical usage, owing to a dearth of methods to create them. That is why such a fuss was made about lapis lazuli, which is mined from a small singlular area in present-day Afghanistan. You will find that there are precious few sources of "black" pigments in nature. For example, there have been ongoing efforts to research a "black" rose; recently there have been "black" tulips and a rose, but if you analyse these flowers you will see that they are darker hues of purples, etc.

Nature doesn't have a lot of use for a non-colour, like black.

Still you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical. Would you insist that a Mole of Gold is a small furry mammal, too?

:p

It's your argument that suggests this, not mine! You and DL are the ones insisting that there is one correct and formal definition of a particular word!

Technically, a mole is a small furry mammal, and a chemical unit of measurement. Technically, black is a colour that reflects very little light, and the total absence of colour. Using "mole" to mean small furry mammal is not a vulgar colloquialism, is it? Similarly, using black to mean a particular dark colour is not a vulgar colloquialism. It is a technical name for a colour just as much as red, green or blue.

They don't tell you the make-up of the colours generally, do they? It is a specious and circular argument to say that in the common idiom black is a colour, because in common usage it is regarded as a colour!

:wacko:

It's not a circular argument. In English, black is a colour, because the speakers of English have chosen to use the word black to define the colour that could also be referred to as "very, very, very dark grey". You will find the word black used to refer to this colour in both standard and formal english.

If the vast majority of the speakers of english chose to use the word "arsenic" to mean this colour, then assuming "arsenic" was used to refer to this colour in standard english also, then technically arsenic would be a colour and an element.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I tend to think of black as a color myself, even if it officially 'isn't' a color. As Metadigital implied, it's an idiomatic thing. You might say the same thing about white, since white is the presence of all colors while black is the absence of all colors.

It's your argument that suggests this, not mine!  You and DL are the ones insisting that there is one correct and formal definition of a particular word!

Technically, a mole is a small furry mammal, and a chemical unit of measurement.  Technically, black is a colour that reflects very little light, and the total absence of colour.  Using "mole" to mean small furry mammal is not a vulgar colloquialism, is it?  Similarly, using black to mean a particular dark colour is not a vulgar colloquialism.  It is a technical name for a colour just as much as red, green or blue. ...

No, it is your argument. You mistakenly inferred that there was no colour black, when in fact both Launch and I were merely stating that technically, there is no colour "black". Sure people refer to the colour black collloquially, this is demonstrably idiomatic.

Similarly, technically, Nero is the Italian for black, but your argument would have us believe that the Italians say "black"!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

...You and DL are the ones insisting that there is one correct and formal definition of a particular word!...

Slow down there Revvy... I make one post about how black is not technically a colour and I'm insisting now!?!

My point was that from an artistic and scientific approach, black is not considered a colour... nor is white... but I'm not going to dance in circles with you about it... you're entitled to your viewpoint ;)

DL

P.S. I also like turquoise :devil:

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Me too. I wouldn't use it on clothes though.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Can I say that i don't mind people using 'black' as a colour, and still be a pompous English idiot?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's your argument that suggests this, not mine!  You and DL are the ones insisting that there is one correct and formal definition of a particular word!

Technically, a mole is a small furry mammal, and a chemical unit of measurement.  Technically, black is a colour that reflects very little light, and the total absence of colour.  Using "mole" to mean small furry mammal is not a vulgar colloquialism, is it?  Similarly, using black to mean a particular dark colour is not a vulgar colloquialism.  It is a technical name for a colour just as much as red, green or blue. ...

No, it is your argument. You mistakenly inferred that there was no colour black, when in fact both Launch and I were merely stating that technically, there is no colour "black". Sure people refer to the colour black collloquially, this is demonstrably idiomatic.

It's not colloquial or idiomatic. If this was the case, you wouldn't find the term used in formal english, when you quite clearly do. The term black as used to describe the colour is not used only in spoken English or in written English attempting to imitate speech. In fact, the term black as used to describe the absence of colour is used almost solely in the Sciences. It is the technical term for the colour which "black clothes" are. Here, on the label of the T-shirt I'm wearing it says:

"T-Shirt

Small Adult

Black"

In the clothing industry, T-shirt is the technical term for the clothing this label is attached to. In the clothing industry, Small Adult is the technical term for the size of T-shirt this label is attacked to. In the clothing industry, black is the technical term for the colour of T-shirt this label is attached to.

EDIT: Oh, and not forgetting the technical name in HTML for the hex triplet #000000 - Black. Looks like it's a technical term there too...

Similarly, technically, Nero is the Italian for black, but your argument would have us believe that the Italians say "black"!

How on earth does my argument have you believe that? I truly cannot fathom how you would come to such a ludicrous conclusion! If this is how you wish to play it, your argument would have us believe that it technically isn't Italian for Black, because almost every Italian speaker on the planet, speaking both formally and colloquially uses the word "Nero" to mean "very, very, very dark grey"!

Tell me, mets, what does the word "cleave" technically mean? Does it technically mean "To split with or as if with a sharp instrument" or " To adhere, cling, or stick fast"? Or could it maybe be that both are valid and correct definitions?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

part of it depends on the color wheel that you are using. if you use the traditional art color wheel, then black is supposedly the combination of all color. - personally, I get a really dark brown. - if you use a photographic or computer graphic color wheel, then black is the absense of all color.

Either way I get in trouble if I say it is anything other than a shade at school. -- darn those teachers!

Then again I get really funky greens when I mix yellow with black.

Dang... I still can't help thinking of Monty Python. 

Old man: "What is your favorite color?"

Sir Galahad: "Blue.  No, yell-aaaauuuughhh!" [is thrown into fiery pit]

I'd say blue is my second favorite color.  Still like orange, though.

rofl!! I had forgotten about that. ahhhh, the good old days when a group of us would get together and watch those movies.

I do however have my vorpol bunny on my bureau.