Help me decide which game to play

Setzer

So I'm getting a little bored of WoW lately and got the craving to play a single player RPG. There are a few I already own and have even started but just never finished. So, I thought I'd get the advice from all of you, who have played the following games, on which one you would recommend playing.

Baldur's Gate

Icewind Dale II

Neverwinter Nights

Jade Empire

Knights of the Old Republic II

BG, NWN, and IWD2 I've all started at one time and just never finished. Funny that I actually took the time and played through BG2 + ToB but never finished the first one.

IWD2 -- I still have on my HD and I think I where I left off was about 1/2 way through the game.

NWN -- I've started that game over countless times. I don't know what it is about it but the game didn't draw me in like other RPG's I've played. Maybe its because I got sick of how every building or area I walked into looked all the same. The Character graphics were nice but the world graphics left little to be desired, imo. The story was ok but nothing I haven't seen before. Why I would actually want to start playing this again? Because Obsidian is working on NWN2 and I think I better get a grasp on what's going on before playing the sequel. Learned my lesson with the BG series.

Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 I have yet to start playing. Of course, there are probably other games I'm missing out on but the ones I listed are the ones I own and my Wife has cut off my gaming fund for the time being. Damn WoW to hell!

Your destiny lies with Yu Gi Oh the video game, do not deny what the emperor has already foreseen

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Would the answer "all of them" be helpful?

Seriously, if you have the time and the money, play all of them. I know you probably want just one suggestion, but that's not how I operate, so don't try to smother my creativity!

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I would start with BG. Its better then then 2 and then move to IWD2, but if you can get the "Dual pack" get that

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Do you hate fun?

Do awesome games make you mad?

Do you despise activities that have a point?

If yes, then you should stick with WoW.

You're an ass.

None of the games I listed have made me 'mad'. Don't know where you got that from. Yah, they've me soooo mad and thats why I want to play them. Please, think before you say something stupid.

Guest Fishboot

BG is pretty thin if you've already played BG2 - a lot of the original charm of the game was based in the real-time-with-pause system and toying with the novelty of it. Low level 1E/2E D&D is as awful as it ever was (Mage with sleep spell! Woot!) so the "game" part of the game is weak until you're up at the cap levels and the story isn't interesting if you know the twist, which you do. I'd save it for a few years until you've forgotten everything from BG2 so you can play the whole series over.

So um, of the rest, K2 or JE.

Edit IWD2 might be good, I could never really get into 3E D&D enough to bother learning the system, and IWD are combat/rules games so that didn't leave me with much.

If you've already played BG2, BG1 will be a pretty big step back.

IWD2 is pretty much H&S. Go for it if you're looking for ample combat.

NWN's official campaign = avoid.

KOTOR2 would definitely be my pick among those, though I have yet to play JE.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Thank you.

While I enjoyed JE, be aware it is the quintessential Bioware game. Good and Evil are basically the equivalent of A. I'll help you for free or B. Pay me so I can do the same quest as the good guy in a slightly more evil way that earns me less xp and fewer items in the long run. In other words, it is heavily biased towards good and both extremes are rather shallow. The storyline (IMO, others will disagree vocally) was apparent from the moment you learn a certain pertinent detail quite early in the game. From there, it only becomes more predictable. The choices you can make are shallow and affect very little, and you are basically limited to two (one good one evil), three (one good or evil and two of the other), or four (two of each) of them. Not very much variety. The combat is simplistic, even laughable, and will fail to satisfy even the least demanding of action fans. It didnt really bother me because I play pretty much only RPG's, but it has bothered others I know. Finally, to make matters worse, it can be beaten in approx 10 hours plus or minus 2.

I dont recommend against it, I simply want you to be aware of its faults before you engage in the game.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Finally, to make matters worse, it can be beaten in approx 10 hours plus or minus 2.

I dont recommend against it, I simply want you to be aware of its faults before you engage in the game.

That's probably the reason its still sitting on my shelf, unopened, collecting dust. Given Bioware's history of making 40+ hour RPG's I was surprised how short I hear the game is. For me, spending $50 on a game that's maybe 10 hours or so long is a waste. So, I may end up taking JE back.

You sould get "True Love" ... or "Princess Maker 2" (that is not that much as a RPG but still solid)

Princess Maker 2 is better.

True Love is good too,you can prolly find them both at CDos.

I liked IWD 2 better than the first, I really enjoyed 3e more.

I'd also recommend Kult\Heretic Kingdoms when you get some new funds.

When you say BG1 will be a 'pretty big step back' are you just referring to the graphics or what? The Infinity engine isn't as polished as it was in BG2 but I was considering using the Tutu mod to play BG1. So, graphically it should look about the same. They both use the 2nd Ed. rules, correct?

I'm leaning towards starting this one up and finishing it. H&S is not my thing but they called IWD a H&S game and I actually thought the story was good. IWD2's story is average at best but thats to be expected.

So once you get past the game's OC the game gets better? I heard the story got better in the expansions? My main gripe with NWN was the graphics. Every building I walked into looked practically the same. Their was a lack of creativity with the game's setting. It was a let down because the BG series in 2D looked alot better than NWN did. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story was 'ok' or at least up to the point where I stopped playing.

I listed KOTOR 2 and at some point I will play through it but I heard the Xbox version, which I own, has some bugs it and that the PC version fixes those and there's also a Restoration mod in the works to restore some of the missing content. With the little amount of time I have to play games I only play through them once so I would like to play through KOTOR 2 and it be a worthwhile experience.