Help me decide which game to play

Setzer

NWN's official campaign = avoid.

So once you get past the game's OC the game gets better? I heard the story got better in the expansions? My main gripe with NWN was the graphics. Every building I walked into looked practically the same. Their was a lack of creativity with the game's setting. It was a let down because the BG series in 2D looked alot better than NWN did. I enjoyed the gameplay and the story was 'ok' or at least up to the point where I stopped playing.

The OC isn't that bad. (Alright, the ending third of SoU is pretty meh, but the HotU third expansion is not terrible.) The main complaint is the munkinism; there are ludicrous magic items in the epic levels, like Bastard Sword of Global Thermo-Nuclear Warfare +36 to hit / +40 dmg / Critical Range 2-20 (okay, I'm exaggerating a little).

The main thing to remember is that the community modules are even better than the OC. Rick Burton has already been given a job at Bioware, based on his terrific work (look for it at the Hall of Fame: there are some cracking mods here.

The Community have put together a bunch of common items (like new weapons, e.g. all the Japanese martial types, extra scenery tiles, and even monsters).

Thanks for the link and your input on NWN!

Yup, it'll be a fantasy game, mostly because of the toolset provided.

It'll be a racist world too, with the big three (humans, elves, dwarves) being the major races. To fit in the smaller races, we'll probably pair up Human-Halfings, Elves-Half Elves, Dwarves-Gnomes.

Yup, it'll be a fantasy game, mostly because of the toolset provided.

It'll be a racist world too, with the big three (humans, elves, dwarves) being the major races.  To fit in the smaller races, we'll probably pair up Human-Halfings, Elves-Half Elves, Dwarves-Gnomes.

Elves? I bet there'll be bloody drown and orcs, too.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm replaying Fallout 2 as we speak (okay maybe not RIGHT now).  It still holds it's playability value even now.

Is that instead of TSL? >_<"

Yes. But only because I finished playing TSL last week. o:)"

It was between FO2 or pick up a new game (read: one I haven't played yet, not necessarily "new"), and I was too lazy to go to the mall so I just re-installed FO2.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thanks for your input all!! o:)

I re-installed IWD2 and loaded up my saved game from over a year ago. I've been reading through my journal, which I wish BI would have done better >_<, to get me refreshed on where I was in the game when I stopped playing it.

I plan on finishing up IWD2 and then jumping into KOTOR 2 or BG...haven't decided yet. As for NWN, looks like I'll just wait and see what NWN 2 brings and avoid the NWN OC like the plague. :p

Haflings can be awesome.

Dwarves always are.

Dwarves should kick all the elven ass.

So no Half Orcs I take it?

Half-Orcs will be in the game, but in the world we're creating, it's going to be a very different world for them. By being borderline "monsters" the career of the Half-Orc is going to be a very challenging one, given the racist world.

We'll likely have Dwarves hating Elves more than humans and some of those usual archetypes that exist in fantasy worlds, but right now the initial plan is going to be Half-Orcs at the bottom of the totem pole for all of the major factions/races.

While at the beginning we'll try to guide the character based on a combination of race/class (i.e. go to Human region to find a Paladin mentor if you're a Human Paladin and stuff like that), but right now the Half-Orc race supercedes any class combination.

Simply because you're a Half-Orc, regardless of class, you'll be facing an uphill battle almost everywhere. It's sort of a sociological experiement of sorts, where you'll have systemic discrimination against a particular race, and I'm curious if Half-Orc characters will end up siding more with the ideal of criminality simply because trying to persevere in the wake of extreme racism will make things difficult. Having said that, I'm hoping for the "good guy" Half-Orcs to ultimately have quite a neat adventure, where gaining the trust and faith of even a single person will be quite the sense of accomplishment.

Naturally though, our concept of the Half-Orc is still far from etched in stone, because we still want to have the narrative relate to Half-Orcs in some way.

Elves? I bet there'll be bloody drown

At the moment, Elves are just Elves. No real plans for supporting the near infinite amount of "subclasses" of elves. One of the advantages of creating your own world :lol:

Once NWN2 gets released, we need to get a bunch of Obsidian regulars to play a weekly session online or something.

Heck, we could do it now. I just wouldn't want to be the one to organize it.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Only if you get to torture them all.

PS: The modules sounds good thus far,let's see how NWN2 turns out.

Fortunately, if NWN2 turns out to be the suck (which I doubt), none of our ideas so far could stop it from being implemented in standard NWN, so it's the backup plan.

We're planning for NWN2 as it'll have a more ripe market though.

Once NWN2 gets released, we need to get a bunch of Obsidian regulars to play a weekly session online or something.

Heck, we could do it now.  I just wouldn't want to be the one to organize it.

If I have time I might give it a try despite my dislike for D&D.

Nice! I'll sign up for sure.

Me too. The regulars are an intelligent enough bunch that the gameplay doesn't just degrade to loot hunt. Though I wouldn't mind that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Guest GroinOfDespair

Intelligence, though believed to be quanitifiable, is really quite subjective.

Survey says, the jury is still out. But we have some lovely party gifts for you, and I'm not talking about the syphillitic parting gifts my ex likes to leave behind.

Groin, I'm curious; what do you see as your purpose in life?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I would also be interested in such.

Also, based on the prejudice in your world, did you draw off the setting of Arcanum, at least in that aspect? It sounds somewhat similar to me.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Guest GroinOfDespair

I must be a Jewish mother, because I believe my lot in life is to suffer.

Is it karmic because of some past deeds? I don't know.

Is it because Lillith, or some similiar Godess wishes to teach me to find Satori through languish?

Is it because the world truly is a cannibalistic, sado-masochistic cesspool from which there is no escape other than the welcome 12-gauge deliverance to oblivion?

That I ponder, but the few pathetic truths I have gathered this far I am obligated to share with the world.

Consider it my payback.