MMORPGs

Errr.....why would you tell me that?

No real reason. The name of the quest is "The Missing Diplomat", but as previously noted, you're really searching for the king of stormwind. Just thought I'd point that out.

Very nice quest, though, and one of my personal favourites.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Well...you did just kinda spoil it for me :p

Well, what can I say? I did it all for the wookies.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Haha, seriously. You say that all MMORPGs should be like Guild Wars, and you haven't even played it yet! :D

I wouldn't personally count Guild Wars as a true MMOG though, because the world isn't really connected. It's more like small private hubs, and a big one were all the players can meet up and talk as far as I've understood it.

All MMOs that I've tried have been really boring.. so I'm probably not even going to look at one in a long time.

I've been playing Guild Wars, although I'm not a fan of MMO's normally. Ten-year-old griefers sent me screaming away from EverQuest a few years back and I've never returned. Also, I'm on dial-up. o:)

The good news is that Guild Wars is dial-up friendly, and has unique "instanced" areas for the PC and party only, so the only time you have to deal with 10-year-old griefers is when you go to town... or when said 10-year-old ends up in your party. The loot drops are also assigned by name to party members, making it more difficult (but not impossible) for those loot-stealing adolescents we all dispise to ply their wicked craft! More good news is that computer generated henchies are supplied, so that solo-loving folks like myself can gather henchmen instead of real folks for those missions that require a full party.

That said, the role-playing part of the game... which is massive... is just a training ground for the PvP and GvG arena battles, which is NOT my thing. Also, I hear the later role-playing mission/areas are so difficult that it really does revert back to the old "forced party interaction" thing, which annoys me. So it's definitely not without flaws.

It's interesting, though, and without the monthly fee the cost is reasonable enough that I feel I've gotten my money's worth already just exploring the early part of the game. (There IS a story, by crackey!) Those who enjoy exploration liberally sprinkled by the ever-present monster hack-n-slash should find GW a fun diversion.

[/end mini-review]

I've never played a MMORPG, or a MUD, but the reason I haven't is because I know it will be something like this example from SomethingAwful

Since this is ostensibly a family board, be advised that SA is not work safe, nor parent safe.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've never played a MMORPG, or a MUD, but the reason I haven't is because I know it will be something like this example from SomethingAwful

Since this is ostensibly a family board, be advised that SA is not work safe, nor parent safe.

Meh! A good MUD is nothing of the kind(refering to those textbased games)! If you find a nice server, you should see that it's way.. way more roleplaying on them than any selling MMORPG. Talking from personal experience.. some of my best gaming moments are from MUDs :)

Meh! A good MUD is nothing of the kind(refering to those textbased games)! If you find a nice server, you should see that it's way.. way more roleplaying on them than any selling MMORPG. Talking from personal experience.. some of my best gaming moments are from MUDs :)

Fair do's I expect MUDs are more roleplay-ish. But I'm still not doing it!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I never expected you would.. as said in the "Story"-thread. Most gamers are ignorant, and blinded by graphics in games.. *hint hint* :blink:

I can't be blinded by graphics in games. My PC doesn't have a 3D card, for reasons I won't go into. Ever.

I just worry about how much time it would suck up.

-Elwood Blues

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I never expected you would.. as said in the "Story"-thread. Most gamers are ignorant, and blinded by graphics in games.. *hint hint* :wub:

I can't be blinded by graphics in games. My PC doesn't have a 3D card, for reasons I won't go into. Ever.

I just worry about how much time it would suck up.

Aahh, then I forgive you. :wub:

I'm quite interested though in why you won't tell us about the 3D card.. must be something embarrassing. :blink:

Aahh, then I forgive you. :wub:

I'm quite interested though in why you won't tell us about the 3D card.. must be something embarrassing. :blink:

I'm intrigued by the notion that there could be a shifty reason for my not owning a 3d card. Any ideas?

-Elwood Blues

While we are on topic of SA, I'd like give a little warning for the future if someone is unaware of the danger. Never link directly to a picture on that site, especially not on a well populated forum. SA people don't take kindly of people stealing their bandwith that way and those pictures have an habit of changing into something very nasty indeed when linked. Just link to articles like Walsingham and I did.

Back on topic, though I haven't played MUDs myself, I have heard that they tend to have much better roleplaying that MMORPGs. It's as if people's ability to roleplay was inversely related to the graphics of the game.

SODOFF Steam group.

No. I'm not saying. ( actually I have said elsewhere on these fora if you are that interested. I just realised).

I guess I would play a MMORPG, except I really keep weird hours online. And my hours aren't predictable. I'd rather have agme I can play at my own speed wherever I am, and however long I have. And yes, I am seriously concerned it could be habit forming.

-Elwood Blues

Walsingham, me too. Which is why Guild War suits me (as MMORPHS go), because I can use henchies as a team when a team is needed, therefore it doesn't matter how much time or how little I have available for a play session. Also, the game (at least the early parts of the game that I have seen so far) allow solo'ing to a much greater extent than the other MMORPH I have played.

As for habit forming... well... it might be. I've not become "addicted" to it yet, though. I still play every few days for an hour or two when I feel like it. I'm enjoying the freedom, though, and I must confess it has really gone a long way toward eliminating what I consider to be the worst flaws of MMORPH'ing overall.

Guest Fishboot

I think it would be extremely hard to find an RP Mud that doesn't have a crushingly insular community these days, considering that most MUDs are essentially descendents from the old days when they ruled the 2400 baud airwaves. You would certainly have to play the interloper for a year or two before they'd let you play their reindeer games. :rolleyes:

Now, Combat muds on the other hand need a constant influx of new meat, and with the dwindling pool of players available they tend to roll out the welcome mat. I'd point you to one that I played off and on for a few years but it's down for a few months for a revamp.

It's habit forming, but I think you'd find that eventually you'd lose interest. Of course, that assumes you don't get into a hard core group. I always refused to spend much time with folks I didn't know well, and that usually meant folks I personally knew from "real life."

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!