Gmail

EnderAndrew

I don't know what the rules are here on this forum. Some forums have policies against giving out Gmail invites for reasons that I have never clearly understood. But I don't want to violate any forum policies.

Thusly I won't mention that I just got refreshed with 50 GMail invite codes.

I won't mention that GMail is easily the most incredible email account I've ever seen.

I won't mention that I pity the fool that doesn't have a Gmail account at this point.

I won't mention that you could theoretically message me for an account.

"I won't mention that you could theoretically message me for an account. "

Same here. So we theoretically could supply about 100 people with Gmail. Which we won't do. Obviously. Of course. :)"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is it true that GMail can scan your account messages for info? Irrespective, does anyone else do it?

I have no problem with Echelon doing thsi sort of thing, but private companies are not on my list of people who need to know.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Gmail uses the same technology as Google ads on webpages. It reads the page, scans for content and then generates small text ads based on the content.

They swear they are not reading or keeping that info. Honestly, I don't like Google has the staff to really be reading everyone's personal email.

I could post a screenshot if someone were curious.

Unlike most web-based email, there aren't ads all over the place. There are no graphical, pop-up, float, pop-under, flash or java ads. There are no ads in your mail inbox page.

There are only ads when you are specifically reading a message, and they are very small text ads off to the side. If you weren't looking for them, you probably wouldn't notice them.

I should also note that right now I have 2400 megs of free storage (as opposed to the 5 megs some places offer), an incredible spam filter so that a spam message has never reached my inbox, and threading capabilities so when I get a response from someone, I can see all the emails in that conversation.

And it has Google search built in to find old-emails. With all the storage, you never have to delete old emails again. You just archive them.

As I understand it, it just looks for certain words, and generates ads based on that. As Ender said, Google swears it is entirely automated and that your messages aren't read by people.

For instance, if you were discussing a transfer of money from one account to another, the software would scan, pick up on the words 'transfer' and 'money', and show small text adverts for Credit Cards.

I also don't have 50 invites that you can't get by messaging me. :thumbsup:"

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Oh yeah, and the reason that some forums have a policy against Gmail invites was that a while back you only used to get 5 invites instead of 50, so getting a Gmail account was the Internet equivalent of winning a Ferrari. Which meant that everyone wanted them, and would heavily spam forums in an attempt to get them. Take FARK, for instance. During the frenzy, people would go into every single thread and make a post asking for a Gmail invite, and people looking to make themselves popular would claim they had a few invites which would promptly derail the entire thread into a slum of hundred Gmailless beggars. Little to no discussion could be done because of all the spam, and FARK began to look very unfavourably on anyone offering or asking for an invite. It's far less of a problem now (invites are easy to get), but the stigma remains on many forums.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I will mention that I just got refreshed with 50 GMail invite codes.

I will mention that GMail is easily the most incredible email account I've ever seen.

I will mention that I pity the fool that doesn't have a Gmail account at this point.

I will mention that you could theoretically message me for an account, but equally theoretically I will mention that I may not feel like giving one.

It will like totally blow my mind if everyone here doesn't have an account by the end of the week.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Trust me, if you had a gmail account, it would be the only one you used.

No.

One for my non important internet stuff aka kirottu account.

One for more important stuff with my real name.

One for all the school stuff.

And one for all the pr0n stuff.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hah, reading comprehension -10.

kirottu said:

Trust me, if you had a gmail account, it would be the only one you used.

No.

One for my non important internet stuff aka kirottu account.

One for more important stuff with my real name.

One for all the school stuff.

And one for all the pr0n stuff.

Why not just have one for it all?

I use my Gmail account for everything. If I'm emailing real life friends (as opposed to all you internet-ready supercomputers pretending to be real people), I just sign my real name at the bottom, otherwise I just use my screenname. Anything school related back when I was there just got emailed into one account too.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I hate to break up the fun non-invite party, but from what I can tell Gmail is public now. I went to www.gmail.com and then created a Google account and I now have Gmail. No invites or secret handshakes or anything like that. I'll never use it but I can say I have it. Free POP3 is cool but kind of pointless for me since the last email program I used was Eudora Pro and then only for bbs.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

What is the difference between being invited and just going to gmail.com and signing up like I just did?  >_<

I don't see how you do that on the main page, and from their FAQ:

2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test.

How do you sign up? :lol:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Ive got Linuxmail, Gmail and a real proper account on a norweigan server but I cant be bothered to use anything else than Linuxmail even though its so full I have to delete old mails to fit new ones.

edit:

I just figured the gmail account mayb be pretty handy for Diplomacy. Fellow warmongers, check yer inboxes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What is the difference between being invited and just going to gmail.com and signing up like I just did?  >_<

I don't see how you do that on the main page, and from their FAQ:

2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test.

How do you sign up? :lol:

I went to Google.com and search gmail. The first link is gmail.google.com.

Hmm.. thats strange.

I go back in my history and this link here Mysterious google link now says account already created.

Thats weird. I dont know what to say. I am logged into my gmail account right now. Its got the starter email from the Gmail Team. Odd. I didnt use any codes or invites. On the page there was a link that said something like "No account?" which has mysteriously vanished.

EDIT: Im already late for work.. Ill try to recreate my steps there with another account there.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

This is like in that film: Invasion of the body snatchers. I 'm not getting gmail. I'm a free man!

*exits stage left, shrieking and waving his arms around*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.