Kotor 3: Ideas and Suggestions

If that is this linkwhat you're talking about, then, with all do respect: Never in my life have I ever read more right wing neo-con 'facist' brainwashing bullsh*t in one place! <_< it's an insult to intelligence and common sense :)

Please don't flame. but it's my opinion :D

Um, Hildie, have you ever read 1984 ?

Back On-Topic: please read Saberist: (<{POST_SNAPBACK}>)

I didn't read 1984, I know what's it about, a part from that....but when I saw things on the link I posted, well come on dude :)

Well, if you can't be bothered to read one of the seminal philosophical works of the twentieth century, at least read the summary: 1984!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't know about the rest of you, but I felt disappointed that there weren't any useful Jedi/Sith holocrons (Tulak Hord's saber skillz :kof kof:) that the player could use.  Handmaiden mentioned that they were interactive (they asked her questions) so something like the Circle of Zerthimon would work great.

Plus, it'd be a cool central decoration piece on the Hawk.

Holocron interaction would be a great idea! Maybe your pc gets to choose free force powers, feats, and/or extra skill points. You just go directly to that part of the LU screen and instantly add them.

If that is this linkwhat you're talking about, then, with all do respect: Never in my life have I ever read more right wing neo-con 'facist' brainwashing bullsh*t in one place!

British Humour : Confusing Foreigners Since 55BC. :)

I have to admit, the INGSOC sig looks a bit fascist. The presentation and style, I mean - very scary.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Only problem is that a game like you suggest would be all but impossible for the devs to design plotwise. What are they going to build the story on, if they cannot assume the main character to be a jedi or sith? I know this may seem forced, and probably was in the previous games, but then most CRPGs tend to be fairly linear. It's a case of choosing the main character to be very fixed and then use what you've definitely established to build a story on that is tied very closely and personally to that character, or to write a very generic story, where the NPCs carry the plot forward. I tend to go with the former, and KotOR3 is likely to do the same, since the previous games did.

Also a few other points:

1. The game is called "Knights of the Old Republic" - that indicates jedi knights. There is no question that it's about the conflict between jedi and sith. What game doesn't put its main character right in the middle of that conflict?

2. If you're not going to be a jedi, then how will the light side/dark side choice have any meaning? The choice between the two has been the one deciding factor for how each game has played out so far (if we overlook the cut content of KotOR2), and you want to cut that out? I couldn't disagree more.

Agreed with this. This is what I've been saying since the suggestions forum for K2 came up and people were suggesting we be allowed to play as a non-Force sensitive.

I'm all for playing as a non-Jedi in a SW RPG, but not this particular series.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i would prefer to start off as a jedi

and for party members, i would like some choice as to who came with you (like the whole disciple/handmaiden mira/hanharr thing)

holocron interaction would be kinda cool. maybe they give you force/saber forms, or feats/force powers or something

manipulation of your party member's classes could be cool. prestige classes for non jedis or something

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I'm all for playing as a non-Jedi in a SW RPG, but not this particular series.

Precisely. If someone wants to do a KotOR-like game where the main character is a non-force-user, then fine - go ahead. Heck, if it's any good, I would play. But it would not be KotOR, so it shouldn't be named as such.

Precisely. If someone wants to do a KotOR-like game where the main character is a non-force-user, then fine - go ahead. Heck, if it's any good, I would play. But it would not be KotOR, so it shouldn't be named as such.

I wonder why Lucasarts doesn't decide to do them simultaneously?

I mean, I'm assuming KOTOR is a money maker (if I'm wrong, then there's no point to this thread since K3 will never be made in that case), so why not get two different development houses to work on this. One works on K3, the other works on a different SW RPG.

Especially since it's outsourced, I don't see the problem. I could understand their trepedation if they had to handle all development themselves, but with outsourcing the games, I'm not sure why not.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I wonder why Lucasarts doesn't decide to do them simultaneously?

I mean, I'm assuming KOTOR is a money maker (if I'm wrong, then there's no point to this thread since K3 will never be made in that case), so why not get two different development houses to work on this. One works on K3, the other works on a different SW RPG.

Especially since it's outsourced, I don't see the problem. I could understand their trepedation if they had to handle all development themselves, but with outsourcing the games, I'm not sure why not.

I guess the obvious answer to that is the doubling of fixed costs at the beginning of the production cycle: two developers equals twice the start-up investment.

It's an interesting idea, though, and well worth some serious thought: the costs would be balanced against the probability that further series would not capitalise on the current series to the same extent as two, simulataneously, would now. Then again, I'm sure some marketing types have lots of pretty (useless) graphs to demonstrate the (lack of) wisdom with this idea. After all, who would play as a non-FS in a SW universe ... :)"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I guess the obvious answer to that is the doubling of fixed costs at the beginning of the production cycle: two developers equals twice the start-up investment.

It's an intersting idea, though, and well worth some serious thought: the costs would be balanced against the probability that further series would not capitalise on the current series to the same extent as two, simulataneously, would now. Then again, I'm sure some marketing types have lots of pretty (useless) graphs to demonstrate the (lack of) wisdom with this idea. After all, who would play as a non-FS in a SW universe ...  :blink:"

But that's just it: if they know the series (or have a pretty good idea) is going to be a big money maker, the up front fixed costs wouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming they'd do a sales forecast and calculate all the various revenue and expenses, etc. So I don't think up front costs would be a problem.

The only thing I can think of is they wouldn't want two similar games competing with each other. But I don't think that's a big problem, considering EA sports releases both professional and college sports games at the same time (ie. Madden and NCAA football are usually released around the same time, give or take a month or two).

wow i had to trawl though 7 threads to get this far - anyway

I'd love to:

Kill anyone and everything

Have a proper ending

Influnce system scrapped

less loading screens

space combat

less companians

better battle graphics

new planets

reven - NO

exile- a bit

atton- yes

malak force ghost attacking reven force ghost

quicker way of traveling- air speeder

you get all force powers without having to chat to a old senile woman (w00t)

more gameplay

sith more of a background than main story

exchange and cherks NO

But that's just it: if they know the series (or have a pretty good idea) is going to be a big money maker, the up front fixed costs wouldn't be an issue.  I'm assuming they'd do a sales forecast and calculate all the various revenue and expenses, etc.  So I don't think up front costs would be a problem.

The only thing I can think of is they wouldn't want two similar games competing with each other.  But I don't think that's a big problem, considering EA sports releases both professional and college sports games at the same time (ie. Madden and NCAA football are usually released around the same time, give or take a month or two).

Businesses, when operating at best efficiencies, tend to keep their capital invested somewhere. So, although it doesn't seem like a big deal, doubling fixed costs at the beginning of the development cycle would mean that cash isn't available for something else (whether that's a new title or the Executive Superannuation Fund top-up), so there is definitely a feduciary decision to be made.

Are you suggesting the second game would have both FS AND non-FS, and just include lots of narrative paths? Or a seperate "Han Solo" type adventure / RPG spin-off, set in the KotOR universe? Because if you want the former, I'd say it'd make more sense to combine them into one game.

I guess a seperate game that doesn't have the protagonist as a FS in the SW universe might sell (heck, SWG managed to do it, without the dynamic of a first-person narrative to glue it together). Certainly I think FS are too over-powered, so a game where they are few and far between would have some scope for real role play and adventure.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Are you suggesting the second game would have both FS AND non-FS, and just include lots of narrative paths? Or a seperate "Han Solo" type adventure / RPG spin-off, set in the KotOR universe? Because if you want the former, I'd say it'd make more sense to combine them into one game.

I'd like to see a RPG based on a character that didn't necessarily have to be Force sensitive in order for the story to be plausible. KOTOR's story just wouldn't work with a non-Jedi/Sith as the protagonist. But if a game's story was built more around, say, the fringe such as crime organizations or crime lords, or even focussed more on the military wing of the Empire/Sith (ie. those Sith troopers/Storm Troopers, rather than the Dark Jedi, Sith Apprentice), then it could make sense.

To be honest, I don't know how well a game would sell if you (the gamer) couldn't play as a Force sensitive. Especially now that the KOTOR series has hit the shelves and gamers already know what possessing those powers is like. But I'd be 100% inclined to play a game where the story revolved around a non-Force sensitive in a RPG setting (I added that part before people suggested I play Republic Commando or Battlefront).

I'd like to see a RPG based on a character that didn't necessarily have to be Force sensitive in order for the story to be plausible.  KOTOR's story just wouldn't work with a non-Jedi/Sith as the protagonist.  But if a game's story was built more around, say, the fringe such as crime organizations or crime lords, or even focussed more on the military wing of the Empire/Sith (ie. those Sith troopers/Storm Troopers, rather than the Dark Jedi, Sith Apprentice), then it could make sense.

Agreed. KotOR without jedi/sith as main character isn't really KotOR.

I'd love a game where you'd play a non-force user. Seems *everything* in Star Wars is about the Jedi/Sith struggle. It could be interesting to explore something that just isn't about that.

For example, they could set the game in the time between Episode III and IV - there are no jedi and the two positions of allowed Sith are already filled, so you cannot be a force user (well Force Adept might be possible). Instead the game is about the harshness of the Empire and how normal people sufffer beneath, a bit like the plots of the X-Wing games. It's like everyone's forgot that there are non-jedi in Star Wars since the prequel trilogy began.

:devil:)

Yes, in the orgy of CGI-enabled Jedi-Sith comfrontation, a.k.a. the prequel trilogy.

Of course, they could always make an RPG using the primary protagonist of SW: the astromech! You'd be forced to manipulate / cajole / convince / encourage others to your cause, rather than run in all-lightsabres-blazing ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have an idea for people who wish the PC to be Non Jedi. Why not make 2 PC's. They can both be started on Level 1. One is a Jedi and one is a Scoundrel or Scout or why not, a droid. Kotor II proved with the many solo missions and the Freedon Nadd tomb that this could be very well done.

When the 2 PC's are in the party you could switch between the Jedi and the Scoundrel and they can both be the speaker in the game, they share the same amount of Xp.

You could choose a DS line with the scoundrel, then the LS Jedi disapproves which will cause an Influence loss.

O yes, one more thing. I think we are done with everyone calling you Jedi, Off worlder, Visitor etc. etc. etc.. Why don't we give the PC's a fixed name or 2 or 3 choices. I think it would be better if some people call you by your name, especially the NPC's in your party.

Master Vandar lives!

Hello everyone, I rarely post here, but would like to contribute to the ongoing KOTOR III discussion. These are just a few things I think have to apply to the next game in order for it to not only complete the story set by the previous games, but also function as a solid RPG that makes sense.

1. PC cannot be Revan or The Exile. By the end of either game both characters are rediculously powerful, especially The Exile, so playing a third game as them is just unreasonable.

I also don't think making Revan and Exile NPC's is much of a problem. There are simple ways to get around interacting with these two characters that are critical to the story, but all the customization allowed in the previous games shouldn't really affect how things play out in KOTOR III.

2. A new intro is desperatley needed. The beginning to KOTOR II was already too reminiscent of KOTOR I, so the whole waking up in a lost world with no memory thing has to be avoided. In KOTOR III something very simple should be used such as the PC being a Jedi Padawan who spend all his/her life up till now training under a Jedi Master. There is a "seamingly" simple backstory to the character, which is good, because I think KOTOR's story should be MORE about Revan and the True Sith/Rebuilding the Jedi Order than necessarily the PC's own story.

3. New planets. We need to see new planets. Corescount (sp?) is a must. The only old planet I'd like to see is Dantooine, as that is a location of major significance in both previous games.

4. Keep the gameplay mechanics relatively the same. The last thing the final chapter in this trilogy of games needs is to totally rework the basic gameplay. Leave the combat the same, party interaction pretty much the same, etc. Minor tweaking is certainly welcome though, along with new features as no one want to "play" the exact same game again. The Influence system needs some fine tuning. Either that or loose it all together.

Well, that's about it for now. I know I have a lot more ideas floating around my brain about this game, but those are just a few important things that I think KOTOR III would greatly benefit from.