HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY!

I regard the whole matter as a piece of modern (performance) art: as long as it gets people discussing the subject matter, then it is good art.

So, if a few more people read 1984, then that can only be a good thing.

(nice pic)

:blink:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Apologies for muddying the pristine waters of bull that comprise WOT. :)

Speaking of which I can't abide swimming in pools. Rivers and oceans may contain dead bodies, but I'd rather that than paddling about in a mass bath... And don't get me started on the urine! :devil:

Fair enough, rowing seems to build people up, but I don't fancy being reduced to a simple boat donkey. Running and cycling you get to explore. Football and rugby you get to meet people, and do a bit of thinking. I can't imagine anything more tedious than hoofing up at 5 a.m. every morning to move a plank of wood up and down the same stretch of river. I'd rather go back to working an assembly line! At least they paid me for doing it. :ermm:

*ducks justified throwing of rowing paraphernalia*

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I can't abide swimming in pools. Rivers and oceans may contain dead bodies, but I'd rather that than paddling about in a mass bath... And don't get me started on the urine!  :-

True, that and the fact that British pools all seem to be about thirty foot long, makes for poor swim training (I feel like I'm in a particularly franetic wash cycle, with all the spin-turns!) ...

And of course most of the beaches are so poluted that they make Bondi look clean ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So whaddaya suggest? Swimming IN THE OCEAN!!!?!

One lucky speargun shot away from a horrible, horrible death

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im 64 kilogram at 180cm so Im sort of on the opposite end.

183.5 cm and 61 kilos here. I think I've got you beat. I've got the metabolism of a ferret, and I'm also very fidgety. (research shows people who couldn't sit still if their live depended on it are probably skinny)

Anyone got advice on gaining weight besides such sillyness as eating more? I eat four meals a day and basically snack all day long, plus eat loads of fruit.

No, it's not a medical condition.

56kg and 170cm here, on a diet of potatoes, bread, pasta, and chicken. I'm a carb burning machine, baby. :thumbsup::p

I laugh at you, so-called Neutral-True, and your silly Frrroo-its. Now go away or I shall-a taunt you a second time. :D

Actually, I'd like to gain some weight too, but I'd like to gain it as muscle, and due to my horrendous diet, I'm constantly paranoid that if I exercise more than a little I'll start gaining all that weight as fat, and turn from a small scrawny geek into a big huge overweight one with no friends.

You're shorter than me. I think we're generally about equel on the healthy scale.

Whoa. Quote Tunnel. Let's not do this any further.

True, that and the fact that British pools all seem to be about thirty foot long, makes for poor swim training (I feel like I'm in a particularly franetic wash cycle, with all the spin-turns!) ...

And of course most of the beaches are so poluted that they make Bondi look clean ...

Luckily the sea over here is crystal clean, especially on the beaches on the remote islands...... :thumbsup:

*runs of to the beach*

Normally I am a self-involved cynic with nothing better to do than be unpleasant but I have some happy news and it has nothing to do with car insurance.

When I started my new job back in February I weighed at a lard-arse 340 pounds.  Five months later I am now 290 pounds.  Losing 10 pounds a month seems a rather healthy way of doing it and I am very happy about the progress, but now its time to take the next step.

Starting tomorrow I am going to walk to and from work instead of taking the bus.  It would be a good 3 mile walk round trip. If I don't kill myself by Wednesday I'll keep doing it.

My goal is to be around 240 around December and be at my goal weight of 190 by next summer.  At that point I will no longer be so self conscious about my appearance and have the confidence to date again.  :thumbsup:

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yes, I am still self involved cynic, but currently a much happier self-involved cynic.

Resistance training along with cardiovascular training is the best combination for good health. Cardiovascular benefits are obvious, but resistance training helps your muscles stay strong after 25 (and your older than 25), when your body starts on its downward spiral. This doesn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

If you are trying to maintain a healthy weight you may want to try brushing. A study published in the Journal of the Japan Society for the Study of Obesity found that people who brush their teeth after every meal tend to remain slimmer than those who don't brush as often. Japanese researchers discovered this effect when they compared the lifestyle habits of nearly 14,000 people whose average age was the mid-forties. They concluded that tooth brushing is a good health habit that could play a role in preventing obesity. I have long suggested brushing your teeth at least twice a day, accompanied by daily flossing, to help prevent the buildup of small amounts of food that attract and nourish bacteria. So if gingivitis, cavities, or bad breath weren't enough of a reason to brush and floss, consider becoming a slimmer you!

:thumbsup:

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I went to the service office and I had to do all the friggin' tests before the major said "we dont want people like you in our army" and I could go home :D

I was found to be "completely devoid of any motivation" and (this is true) "suitable for a command position" ?! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I went to the service office and I had to do all the friggin' tests before the major said "we dont want people like you in our army" and I could go home :D

I was found to be "completely devoid of any motivation" and (this is true) "suitable for a command position" ?! :)

LOL! :thumbsup:

I was found to be "completely devoid of any motivation" and (this is true) "suitable for a command position" ?! :lol:

LOL! :(

You speak to most squaddies and they'd be grateful for an officer who doesn't go charging after promotions and medals. They want someone who gets the job done, and leaves it at that. No complications, no bullspit. Sound like you?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Smart and motivated: You absolutely need a few of these folks, since they drive your company's intellectual progress, research ideas, etc.

Smart and lazy: these form your project management corps. Essential.

Stupid and lazy: these don't produce very much, but they don't hurt you. Educate and motivate at your leisure, if possible.

Stupid and motivated: these folks need to be weeded out ASAP, since they actively hurt you. You know, the ones that form "cross-cutting teams" to solve trivial problems. Or add software features that accidentally send mail to everyone in your address book.

I used to have a quote along similar lines with regards to military positions, but I cannot find it at the moment. <_<

You speak to most squaddies and they'd be grateful for an officer who doesn't go charging after promotions and medals. They want someone who gets the job done, and leaves it at that. No complications, no bullspit. Sound like you?

Sounds like me. I get the job done and then get as far as possible from the job. It's over and done with. Next task please.

Smart and motivated: You absolutely need a few of these folks, since they drive your company's intellectual progress, research ideas, etc.

Smart and lazy: these form your project management corps. Essential.

Stupid and lazy: these don't produce very much, but they don't hurt you. Educate and motivate at your leisure, if possible.

Stupid and motivated: these folks need to be weeded out ASAP, since they actively hurt you. You know, the ones that form "cross-cutting teams" to solve trivial problems. Or add software features that accidentally send mail to everyone in your address book.

I used to have a quote along similar lines with regards to military positions, but I cannot find it at the moment. <_<

Alright! I'm essential! Go me! If only I could find something that would motivate me. :huh:

I was found to be "completely devoid of any motivation" and (this is true) "suitable for a command position" ?! :huh:

That means you're lazy enough to be one of the dumb@ss officers. (I'm not saying that you're a dumbass. Afterall, not ALL officers are morons. Just the majority)

Spare a thought for poor junior officers. They may be a little overeager, but bear in mind they suffer ridiculously high casualties when people start shooting.

Nartwak, the original quote along those lines is Gen. B.L. Montgomery. ('Monty')

-Elwood Blues

look out it's the generic red bridge boy from startrek who always Dies! he's an officer to be on the bridge ain't he?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If you are trying to maintain a healthy weight you may want to try brushing. A study published in the Journal of the Japan Society for the Study of Obesity found that people who brush their teeth after every meal tend to remain slimmer than those who don't brush as often. Japanese researchers discovered this effect when they compared the lifestyle habits of nearly 14,000 people whose average age was the mid-forties. They concluded that tooth brushing is a good health habit that could play a role in preventing obesity. I have long suggested brushing your teeth at least twice a day, accompanied by daily flossing, to help prevent the buildup of small amounts of food that attract and nourish bacteria. So if gingivitis, cavities, or bad breath weren't enough of a reason to brush and floss, consider becoming a slimmer you!

:p

I wonder if the author of that quote is aware of the difference between causal and correlatory?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I was found to be "completely devoid of any motivation" and (this is true) "suitable for a command position" ?! :p

I applied for the Air Force when I was still at school. Upon completion of the entire day of testing ("Why do you weant to be in the Air Force? Write a four hundred word essay. Twenty minutes. Go."), I found out that I hadn't been successful.

I read my debrief report to my brother (who was a Captain in the Army at the time), and he responded:

"All the aptitude, none of the attitude."

Who cares if I didn't know the difference between a Mig and a B-52? I wanted to fly fast!

<_<

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Who cares if I didn't know the difference between a Mig and a B-52? I wanted to fly fast!

<_<

Wanna fly fast Metta, then I got the bird for you:

SR-71 Black Bird

sr71-1.jpg

Developed for the USAF as reconnaissance aircraft more than 30 years ago, SR-71s are still the world's fastest and highest-flying production aircraft. The aircraft can fly more than 2200 mph (Mach 3+ or more than three times the speed of sound) and at altitudes of over 85,000 feet.

:cool:

Which neatly brings my point in: the fastest craft is a spacecraft. The Apollo astronauts are the record holders, not atmosphere-bound fighter pilots!

I always wanted to be an astronaut. Pity I grew up in the wrong country. And they stopped manned space missions.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT