Civ IV

yep, every single time we play they block the entrance to their base with Supply depots or somthing similar. (I said they learn, but not very quickly) so the lings don't get in. Also the lings don't go after the depot's because they keep reargeting the bunkers behind the depot's.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

yep, every single time we play they block the entrance to their base with Supply depots or somthing similar. (I said they learn, but not very quickly) so the lings don't get in. Also the lings don't go after the depot's because they keep reargeting the bunkers behind the depot's.

Is that in skirmish mode ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Ooh, this sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.  I'm sure there was a strategy game released some years ago which recorded all your games and sent them over the internet to a central computer, which would then analyse the best strategies and constantly update your computer's AI, making it increasingly more challenging at the higher levels of play.  What was this game called?

Galactic Civilizations

I do know that Starcraft's AI learns.

Yeah, I once beat the AI by killing my own troops.

I think that is wonderfully innovative. I wouldn't recommend it IRL, but if ever Skynet does appear, we've got a walk-up start ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest GroinOfDespair

Skynet mocks the governent computers like Echelon that track us all, but they are reading how you are mocking them right now.

Don't be suprised when Skynet *disappears*

So your pessimistic ability to "see" through the authorities and their all-knowing, all-powerful and all-controlling influence on us will mean that you, too, are soon to be *disapeared * ?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If the game handles multiple variables, then it isn't much of a stretch to have the AI make decisions based on those variables.

Unless the developers don't programme it.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Good point.  It's kind of a given, and not too terribly difficult to do.

I imagine it'll be some of the big differences between the different leaders for the same country and whatnot.

Well, it's not difficult if the developers planned to use the variables from the beginning, and set up some sort of Object Oriented Design. I would always do that, because the probability is very high that the variables used to identify / differentiate / leaders, as well as discriminate their actions and even measure their progress.

That way, any attribute can be quickly added to any of these AI task centres, without needing to add the entire processing thread (as in the case of non modular design).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT