A KOTOR 2 romour

True, but forge was just anoying on that ... more due stupid NPC running all over spawn trigger that anything else.

But that is what happens when using NwN engine and NPC control system (original one before scripts helped stupid NPC behavior) ...

Star Wars d20 combat is usually faster that d20 due to wound point system that BioWare could implemented, it could stop the obvious anoying Sith trooper n

drakron.png

Yup, it is easy. Playin' it second time (PC), difficult setting. Only a few time I noticed that raised difficulty. Also, because I am a character building pro now :D, and have a dual wielding Master Flurry/Master Speed character (4 attacks/round, with two +6 AB lightsabers, I usually kill anything before my companions get their first hit. (they fight melee, too).

/Karzak, go end play Jedi Academy, than. KoTOR is just not that kind of game.

As for Obsidian developing the sequel ... I don't care.

I hope Bioware comes up with something good for PC, otherwise I'll have to buy an XBox. (There is Blizzards Ghost, too.) It would be hard to explain to my wife, though.

PS. NPC pathfinding is just desastruous in KotOR. I noticed the same strange thing as in NWN. when they have an obstacle to get around, they always choose the longer way. Why the heck is that ?

Essentially what I am getting from everyone is this.

Star Wars fans loved the game.

PnP RPG players are whining that it wasn't PnP enough for them.

FPS fans are whining that it wasn't FPS enough.

DnD fans are whining that it wasn't DnD enough.

MorroWind fans are whining that it wasn't MorroWind enough.

Fallout fans are whining that it wasn't Fallout enough.

etc. etc. etc...

All I have to say is this: Kotor was incredibly true to the spirit and feel of Star Wars, and was a wonderful RPG - Adventure hybrid.

The levels were somewhat limiting, but they fit given the overall feel and focus of the story. Star Wars has always been story-driven, and if you are given too much freedom, you lose focus of the story.

Those of you wanting Kotor to be more like Fallout, or Torment, or Jedi Academy, well, go play those games instead. Kotor makes a wonderful Kotor, and it's not the fault of Kotor if you want Kotor to be anything other than Kotor. In otherwords, if you can't meet the game on its own terms and look at it from that perspective, then why are you playing it and not something else?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That said, there are some legit things brought up. I will second those here and bring up my own.

Useless first class - Really, it would have been nice to get some more longevity out of the original class, but I can let it pass since it was more there for story purposes than functionality.

Useless skills - What were security spikes used for? Seems there were some things in the game that did not get implemented - I would like to see everything that made it in to a game by publish have a use. Granted, its difficult when your publisher is pushing hard for a quicker release (look at what happened when LucasArts pushed Sony into releasing an unready SWG), but a best effort should be made.

The ability to explore and complete quests after beating the game - There are so many quests that can go unresolved by the time you beat Kotor. I think a function that would be universally heralded by Kotor players would be to complete quests and travel after you finish the game. Maybe, although its not necessary, have the scenery change on each planet depending on whether you finish good or evil, and have some of the dialogue change as well, but have all quests you didn't complete available to be completed, unless you already did something to miss that chance (which can happen in the original - case in point: Bastilla Romance and Finding Dustil).

Downloadable additional content - One promise made by Bioware was that there would be downloadable content that added on to Kotor. It never happened, and we are still waiting. Its looking less and less likely. Even if it were semi-annual, Kotor 2 fans would be happy with some new quests and items involved in the game.

More character feature customization - More faces and more clothes to start with. Same with hair. Will SWG let you borrow theirs? lol.

Anyway, that is what I would suggest to improve it.

I am not going to make any suggestions that Kotor 2 should be anything other than an improved sequel to Kotor. It shouldn't be Torment, Fallout, Morrowind, or any other game people keep trying to compare it to. It should just be an updated version of Kotor (obviously with a different story, and they already said all the characters were new).

It had some problems with remaining true to SW, though. The most notable were the neutered lightsabers, which jsut acted and felt like regular magical swords.

That's because it's based on the D20 rules.

Besides, they aren't all that powerful, look at episode 2, the most Obi-wan got were two scars. And in ESB Vader took a hit to the shoulder and didn't lose any extremeties.

It had some problems with remaining true to SW, though. The most notable were the neutered lightsabers, which jsut acted and felt like regular magical swords.

That's because it's based on the D20 rules.

Besides, they aren't all that powerful, look at episode 2, the most Obi-wan got were two scars. And in ESB Vader took a hit to the shoulder and didn't lose any extremeties.

Whereas in Attack of the Clones Anakin lost most of his arm, in ESB Luke lost his hand, in Phantom Menace Darth Maul was cut in two and Qui-Gon was killed, in ROTJ Vader lost his hand. Sounds pretty powerful.

I am not certain that BioWare didn't take leeway with the Star Wars D20 rules there. They certainly changed several other things that I know about.

Maybe it's not the weapon itself but ones command of the Force that makes it more or less powerful or affects ones ability to defend against it?

After all I read somewhere that only a Jedi(force user) can really learn how to use it.

Maybe it's easier for a force user since he isn't as likely to cut off his own legs when practicing with the lightsaber?

"Besides, they aren't all that powerful, look at episode 2, the most Obi-wan got were two scars. And in ESB Vader took a hit to the shoulder and didn't lose any extremeties."

Vader had armor on his shoulders. The hit was obviously deflected by the armor.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"Lukes sabre punched a hole in an ATAT... I'm thinking it's more than simply armor."

Did you notice that no one else was shown to wear armor like that, and how little even Vader was wearing? Some strong, rare, lightsaber resistant metal*, perhaps? It couldn't be Force, since it didn't stop Vader's arm get cut off twice.

By the way, weren't you the one saying that lightsabers didn't seem to be all that powerful?

* Not cortosis, though. It's supposed to short out a lightsaber's circuitry, causing the blade to shut off. Perhaps Bioware copied Raven's implementation of cortosis from Jedi Knight II?

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

Lightsabers in KotOR were implemented poorly, they were too weak and you could not use them against most of the environment.

I say vader was using the force to shield himself from luke's strike but that is just me.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Lightsabers in KotOR were implemented poorly, they were too weak and you could not use them against most of the environment.

I say vader was using the force to shield himself from luke's strike but that is just me.

TripleRRR

Jedi defense!

Remember KotOR is 4ooo years before the SW saga, obviously early lightsabers were much weaker than the ones puke thighlicker and garth gator used.

If I only had an uzi I would have been king!

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

Lukes sabre punched a hole in an ATAT... I'm thinking it's more than simply armor.

Please ... Luke simply blasted a cover in the AT-AT, not drilled the actual armor and if were not to keen in trying to prove "lightsaber are kewl" you would mention that he thrown a granade inside that cover.

drakron.png

Lukes sabre punched a hole in an ATAT... I'm thinking it's more than simply armor.

Please ... Luke simply blasted a cover in the AT-AT, not drilled the actual armor and if were not to keen in trying to prove "lightsaber are kewl" you would mention that he thrown a granade inside that cover.

Did you actually "read" what I wrote?

I said it punched threw an atat's armor, I didn't say he destroyed it with his sabre.

The grenade is not relevent, it has nothing to do with what I was describing.

Don't forget the blast door that Qui-gon melted through in the Phantom Menace.

TripleRRR

Inanimate items cannot use the Force.

Which is all I'm suggesting as to why Vader didn't lose an arm in ESB.

As for the "he lost it in RotJ", he was also weakened and at that time Luke had the upper hand, instead of desperately trying not to get his ass kicked in ESB (where he wasn't a full jedi when he took Vader on, as opposed to RotJ where he was)

Don't forget the blast door that Qui-gon melted through in the Phantom Menace.

TripleRRR

Inanimate items cannot use the Force.

Which is all I'm suggesting as to why Vader didn't lose an arm in ESB.

As for the "he lost it in RotJ", he was also weakened and at that time Luke had the upper hand, instead of desperately trying not to get his ass kicked in ESB (where he wasn't a full jedi when he took Vader on, as opposed to RotJ where he was)

Or they just forgot this detail when they made Phantom Menace. If need be they'd retcon ESB to be your explanation I suppose but I doubt it was anything more than what I said.

With all these dismemberment talk, it gives me an idea for a Jedi. After being hacked up too much and getting replacement parts/"enhancements", what's left is basically her mind which uses the force (hence Jedi).

I think the player'd be surprised if they "discovered" that the "Jedi" they fought was a droid (droid with Force powers?!)... but then rediscover it's still a life form in there behind all the machinery.

Heck, here's an interesting idea - the Sith Lord sucks the essence of Jedis (that have been going missing) and implants them into special combat droid receptacles. The now Jedi-droids form his elite-corps :huh:

Edit: I think the Yuzhan-Vong (novels) did something like this. They implanted the essence of living things into their mechanized fighters (in this case tiny starfighters which were much more maneuverable against X-Wings etc). Luke was confused when he sensed the Force in the "droid" starfighters.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

?

I said it punched threw an atat's armor, I didn't say he destroyed it with his sabre.

And again it did not, AT-AT are like modern takes and have many places (like the underbelly) that are not armored.

Just look at the location ... underbelly, now if you know about tanks the underbelly never as armored as the rest of the tank.

Luke attacked that because there is NO WAY a lightsaber could deal more damage that what the rebels were using against then, like defence turrets.

drakron.png

?

And again it did not, AT-AT are like modern takes and have many places (like the underbelly) that are not armored.

Just look at the location ... underbelly, now if you know about tanks the underbelly never as armored as the rest of the tank.

Luke attacked that because there is NO WAY a lightsaber could deal more damage that what the rebels were using against then, like defence turrets.

A tanks underbelly is not 100 feet up, and easily targeted.

I need the old [bISIMG]nicetheory[/bISIMG]