Next Gen Consoles

"Vogel is a genius."

I think his games overrated - at least the oversized demos are. I still, much to others' chagrin - think he's a genius as Vogel is a devoted BIO lover. :cool:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Vogel is a genius."

I think his games overrated - at least the oversized demos are. I still, much to others' chagrin - think he's a genius as Vogel is a devoted BIO lover. :cool:

You don't know Chris Avellone, do you?

You don't know who he was referring to that was in danger of developing a triangular-shaped face, do you?

:shifty:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I still consider myself a proud member of the Scorched Earth Political Party, which is not based off the old Scorched Earth video game, as good as that was.

Worms, which may get a new title on the XBox 360 was largely inspired by the Scorched Earth game.

See, again, we were on topic the whole time.

In real terms (in the UK) the price of consoles and games has decreased over the last 15 years.

I don't think there's any way to twist the math to get anything like that conclusion, no matter what you do.

Going back to the inception of the modern console era, you're looking at the N.E.S., which debuted for $200USD and fell to $50USD by the end of the NES2's production run. Preceding it as headlining systems in the console wars were the Atari 2600, which debuted at $200USD and fell to under $100USD, and the TI 99, amongst others, which debuted at $200USD and fell to $99USD.

If one were to generalise a comfortable marketable price for game systems in the NES/SMS and shortly pre-NES period, I think "$200USD falling to under $100" would be about as safe a generalisation as you could make. I don't see prices today sitting below that area, and I don't see a 50% increase in consumer purchasing power adjusted for inflation having occurred over the past 15 years.

US markets (with economies of scale) are much more competitive than most of the other (protected) markets of the world.

For example, the UK is unofficially regarded as "Rip Off Britain", for example Apple's iTunes website charges more for a song to British surfers than any mainland Europeans (I think it's

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There's no reason to twist the "math". I was referring to the prices of consoles at launch not the decrease in price over their respective life cycles.

In the UK there has been little (if at all) fluctuation in the nominal price of consoles and games at launch when looking at the period of the last 15 years as a whole. When accounting for the exponential increase in technology (quality) and the prevailing factor of inflation, my original statement still stands:

In real terms (in the UK) the price of consoles and games has decreased over the last 15 years.

Is anyone else disturbed of the fact that almost everything Epiphany mentioned as "innovation" has already been done, just a few years back and therefore with "lesser" graphics? :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is anyone else disturbed of the fact that almost everything Epiphany mentioned as "innovation" has already been done, just a few years back and therefore with "lesser" graphics? :)

I think time is as much a factor as technology.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm more disturbed how the entire post sounded like marketing blurbs from MS's website, which are of course all HYPED 2 TEH MAX!

I'm also curious how he (/she?) is on moderated status and I'm not as close as I came to it.

That too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is anyone else disturbed of the fact that almost everything Epiphany mentioned as "innovation" has already been done, just a few years back and therefore with "lesser" graphics? :blink:

What RPG/action/adventure game has featured 20,000 units on screen, battling in real time?

What RPG has taken use of time in such an emotional way like Lost Odyssey is?

What game has successfully woven tactical combat, 3rd person shooting and survival horror before?

What game ever reached what "Project Ego" set out to achieve?

The industry seems to view these four games in paticular as highly innovative, and fresh to the market. It's just the nay sayers and "doom criers" that continually harp on the "lack of innovation", when it's standing there smiling in their face. The Gears of War closed door demo was so "uninnovative" that it got best of E3, Epic had more interviews than any developer over the game, Cliffy B did several interviews on his own, talking about the industry, the UE3, and of course, his new IP.

Innovation is technology, to deny that is to keep your eyes closed to the future. With higher technology, developers can do things previously not possible (20,000 units on screen, fighting in real time). The innovation is there, I'm sorry you're unable to see it.

I'm more disturbed how the entire post sounded like marketing blurbs from MS's website, which are of course all HYPED 2 TEH MAX!

I'm also curious how he (/she?) is on moderated status and I'm not as close as I came to it.

It's hardly marketing PR from MS. It's factual information regarding those paticular projects in development.

I'm "moderated" because a mod, a long time ago had it in for me, and dispite me doing exactly as s/he said, I was put on moderated status. Oddly enough, the mod doesn't appear to visit here anymore, after looking at their profile.

XBOX2 and PS3 are the ones I'm interested in. X-BOX has the next age of BIO, and likely Obsidian RPGs. And, PS always has awesome games, and will probably have the best version of the sports games... And, FF series too. Nintendo has just been playing boring to think about for the last 2 generations with the same old, and tired series being thrown out. I mean, back in the day, Mario, Metroid, and the like were cool and fun; now they are old and tired... and, boring.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In quake 4 you can be the Strogg too. Xbox 360 might deal a blow to PS3 by being released globally by the end of this year. Thats the first time that has happened for a console.

Dont see as that would make a huge ammount of difference. It also has some downsides. If something serious goes wrong you are screwed in a really big way. MS just had to do a big recall in the UK because the power cables they shipped with some Xboxes could melt and burn your house down.

On a global scale that could be a serious ouchie :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]