Console History

Jayque

It was in another thread, but I got The Wind Waker, the Promotional disc that came with pre-ordering Wind Waker (Ocarina of Time + Ocarina of Time Master Quest), Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Brother Melee, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness (mmm, Lovecraft), Time Crisis 2, and Goldeneye: Agent Under Fire. 

Nice. :cool:

manthing2.jpg

Commandore 64 - Zork!!!

My first stretegy game, but it was all text based. Tons of reading..

All the Infocom adventures were quality.

(Did you ever type "PLUGH" into the command line in a Zork? -- I have played the Original Adventure, on an Apple ][.) :shifty:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

i began my gaming experiance on a 2.86 with spacewar and other seventy's flicks (this was in 90. through to about 93. then we finially got a fairly good comp in our home and i could play Xwing Dark Forces and other old school lucas arts games.

Those games were goooood if primitive

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"PLUGH" was a teleport command from the Original Adventure. If you typed it -- or the other teleport commands -- into any of the Zork adventures, the response was "Fraud" or some other insult. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"PLUGH" was a teleport command from the Original Adventure. If you typed it -- or the other teleport commands -- into any of the Zork adventures, the response was "Fraud" or some other insult. :D

I'm a fraud. I have Adventure on my HDD, and I've never even started it. And I've never beat a Zork title, despite starting several.

Okay, except for owning a pc and a amiga, I have only owned a n64, so I'm no sony or microsoft fanboy. Just wanted to make that clear.

The talk about Nintendo being so VERY very very very very very very very innovative, VERY innovative, is beyond my comprehension. PERHAPS they were innovative in the old days, with nes and snes, I'm not sure because I only was like 10 or something back then.

But except for that, what I have seen on the N64 weren't really innovative at all. I mean, yeah sure, Zelda: Ocarina of time was a great game, with good gameplay, but innovative? Really? Mario64? Banjo Kazzooie (or whatever the name was..)? Golden eye, not at all.. I had some quality time with 'The Cube' at a friends place, playing mostly some monkey game. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but Nintendo sure do a lot of follow-ups? Zelda and all the mariogames, just comes up in my mind right now. What's innovative with that? Nothing if you ask me, at least not if the gameplay is mostly the same as last time.

What I've read about the Revolution, except it having backwards compatibility, (YES! Now I can play all those innovative games AGAIN!) are titles like Zelda, Mario, and names like that. VERY innovative? Very very very innovative. :o

Ninty being innovative refers to thier hardware does it not? All that stuff ender said and then now eith the Nintendo DS touch screen.

In the N64 days they were very controlling about volume of releases and they withheld coding techniques from third party developers.

Thats the reason they are giving for keeping the revolution controller under wraps. The controller is supposed to be the key point of the machine allowing it to do things that none of the other machines can do.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The talk about Nintendo being so VERY very very very very very very very innovative, VERY innovative, is beyond my comprehension. PERHAPS they were innovative in the old days, with nes and snes, I'm not sure because I only was like 10 or something back then.

DS touch screen and voice recognition ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Touch screens are new to consoles, but not new technology.

And both PS2 and XBox games had voice recognition.

That still qualifies it as innovative.

Maybe, but it's still an innovative feature in a handheld and it's being used to add a new aspect of gameplay.

Cant think of any games on the PS2 or Xbox with voice recognition... Only ones I can think of are on the Cube.

478327[/snapback]

I don't play online console games, but I saw my brother issuing commands via a headset to computer controlled characters in SOCOM 2, and I believe you can do the same in games like Ghost Recon 2.

So it does, I always thought that was for online play for scremaing orders at other people.

478327[/snapback]

Awww...no more Star Wars quotes??? I'll try to remedy that.

I haven't owned a console since my N64/Playstation. There have been a few times I may have wanted a game and considered buying one, but I've always come to my senses before hand :D

The big games like GTA and Halo and whatnot I don't like too much, because I prefer to play those types of games on the PC. The keyboard/mouse combo is a weapon from a more civilized time.

Although lately I've moved away from the FPS style games...I still got Half-Life 2 (admittedly always will be a Half-Life junkie) and Doom 3 (for nostalgic reasons), but I have been playing a lot more strategy games and RPGs. They're not as clumsy or random as a blaster.

Certain games play better with a controller, and certain games play better with a mouse and keyboard. In owning all systems, I never run into not being able to play the games I want to play.

I tried GTA on the PC, and driving with a mouse and keyboard just didn't feel right.

I'd rather kiss a wookie!

Haha, ironically, I have a game controller for the driving parts hahaha ;)

I also use it for the sports games. It made more sense for me to buy a $20 controller than to go and buy a new console just to play the odd sports game :D

I will admit that trying to play sports games with a keyboard just pisses me off.

It's not wise to upset a wookie.

Agreed. It is easier to play those games multiplayer on consoles.

Here's hoping they improve the AI in the near future rather than the graphics though. The robotic nature of the AI (especially your teammates) is frustrating.

Nobody ever worries about upsetting a droid.

NCAA Football and Madden have made huge leaps in AI in 2005. MVP Baseball is another story. My infielders will refuse to pick up a ball right next to them, why someone else will run across the entire field to get to it.

There isn't really much AI in Tiger Woods, and NHL I suck at, so I play on weaker difficulty levels.

I don't really play the basketball games, so I can't comment on them.

Madden and NCAA a few years back, I could trounce. I could rack up 100 points in a football game because the AI sucked. Now, it's a different story.

Thats the reason they are giving for keeping the revolution controller under wraps. The controller is supposed to be the key point of the machine allowing it to do things that none of the other machines can do.

Yeah, perhaps it is a very innovative controller, but we haven't even seen it yet so it could just be marketing talk as well. And really, what is the most interesting in a console? The hardware, or the games? Easy answer there.

Sony showed off some real great techmovies and such at E3, including one using a webcam of a kind. Showing it how games could give more interaction to the player with the webcam. I mean, yeah it's been used before, but it SEEMED to be going to a new level with the interaction. So, that's one point for Sony then too, imo.

1 - 1, and NONE of these accessories, we don't really know so much about to see if it will come to a greater use.

I maintain that Nintendo should have kept quiet about Revolution until they were really willing to show us something and sell the console to us.

No titles annoucened, no retail details about hardware, and they call that an annoucement?

I maintain that Nintendo should have kept quiet about Revolution until they were really willing to show us something and sell the console to us.

No titles annoucened, no retail details about hardware, and they call that an annoucement?

Yeah, the thing I've heard most people talking about so far, is the backward compatibility, and that really isn't something that would make me a buyer anyway.

I bet most people have probably tried the emulators available for the pc, if they really wanted to play for nostalgic reasons.