Console History

Jayque

Dude!  Eternal Darkness!

Mmmmm, Lovecraft!

"The Revolution will use cutting edge technology, but it's ultimately about how that technology is used," he said.

"We asked ourselves, "Why would a family need or want to have a gaming console?" The answer is what's driving development of the Revolution.

"What we want to do is different - and we're happy with the road we're taking," Miyamoto continued. "When you have a Revolution, you're not going to have the same experience as you would with the other home consoles."

Miyamoto's comments follow on from Nintendo's E3 conference, where the emphasis was firmly placed on "All-Access Gaming" - titles that are easy for anyone to pick up and play. You can read the full story here.

Here?!!

my bad, lazy cut and pasting. :">

So there is no story? I am disappointed. I was hoping for some more sweet, sweet Nintendo media. Oh well, at least we've got a nice quote tree.

No more quote trees, Eru! :shifty:

Seconded.

OH SNAP INSTEAD OF ENDING IT YOU TWO JUST MADE IT LONGER!!!

Quote-Tree

So did you - I bet this is all part of Eru's "Grand Design".

It is part of my 20 year plan for the forum. Let the quote trees grow!

hey guys its been fun so we're going to stop this quote tree now OH WAIT

I don't recall ever playing a Neo Geo, emulator or otherwise. I do remember however, of spending several afternoons reading foreign videogame magazines that had pictures of Neo Geo games and daydreaming about how those games actually played out.

Those quote tags are getting hard to read.

I love how everyone is convinced they know how the next generation will go, based on the current generation. And people are also convinced that Nintendo is assured of success.

Some things to note from previous generations.

Atari was the console industry. They went completely out of business and sold their name.

Sega was one of the two giants, and now they don't even make a console anymore.

Anyone remember when the N64 launched, and it's biggest competitors were supposed to be the Saturn and 3D0? Sony came out of nowhere and became a giant overnight?

Each generation has to stand on it's own, and previous generations don't matter.

Right now, the Revolution hasn't shown me anything to warrant buying it. I honesty regret buying the Gamecube. After E3, alot of people seemed to have the impression that you can download and play all of the previous Nintendo games for free on the Revolution.

The service you connect to will be free. Select titles (old NES games that you can emulate anyways) will be free. Anything they are currently selling (SNES remakes on the gameboy, N64 remakes on the DS, Gamecube games) you will have to pay to download and play.

I also am curious about the constant rumors of $500 PS3's.

There has never, ever been a console that launched successfully at over $300. They can't and won't sell.

There is some inflation. I recall when NES games were $30-$35 new, and the 360 launch titles are all listed at $60.

Allard said the 360 will launch close to the original XBox launch price of $300. How close is close?

And does anyone really think Sony will launch later than M$, when Halo 3 is coming out, and then try to charge $200 more for their console?

Sony may push $350, and MAYBE $400 at launch. But I think it would be suicide to launch above $350, let alone $400.

I have my old 3DO stashed in a gym bag around here somwhere. Nostalgia wants me to take a look for it but laziness is winning out. Sorry Gex... -_-

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I used to trip out to that quite a bit. My freinds would always go nuts for this shooting/racing game that I had but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I had a wing commander game that had Mark Hammil and Ginger Lynn as the mechanic... :(

Wing commander prophecy wasnt it ? The one where you ended up doing a death star run on the Kilrathi homeworld.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've never even physically seen a CD-i. I've played a Jaguar at a friends house. Too bad there were like 3 games for it. The Jaguar was a technical marvel passed over. It got arcade ports, and decent ones, but the first 64-bit processor in a console went to waste.

The CD-i had two Zelda titles that Nintendo would like to forget.

I guess you'll have to die then. :(

:p

OMG somebody bought a 3DO? :)

Who bought a jaguar? or a CD-i?

The N64 came out a good while after playstation by which time saturn was already dead i don't think 3do was ever a serious contender.

Jaguar, check.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

it  was not a true 64 bit processor, just 2 32s running together.

In fact, a quick consultation with its spec sheet reveals that the system's CPU was a 68000. The 68000 is a kind of quirky beast so even generalising it alone (let alone the graphics and sound chips on the Jaguar's board) is a bit hard, but the bottom line is, if you want to measure things in terms of CPU bus width, as was the style at the time, well, the 68000 operated on a 16-bit CPU bus and so the Jaguar, measured in terms of CPU bus, should be considered a 16-bit machine (for what such measures are worth - which is practically nothing).

Mind you, I think putting all that emphasis on CPU bus width is ridiculous (if slightly less ridiculous than measuring system performance in terms of the addition of the collective bus widths of multiple peripheral chips) given the complexities which doing so ignores, but that's what the manufacturers wanted to do in those days and the fans fell for it, so there you have it.

But of course, we're looking at similarly stupid calculations in the present day. The days of adding together the widest buses OR registers on the board to get the highest and most utterly meaningless number possible have given way to the days of adding together the greatest number of minimal (i.e., worthlessly unrealistic) floating point operations calculable by every processor on the board to achieve the greatest sum total possible, and the fans are still interested in hearing and eating up every lie the industry shoves down their throats.