KoToR: Online

Jayque

I have had this idea building in my head, so I finally figured I would write it and throw it out there to the masses and get it off my chest.

KoToR: Online ... ok so maybe that is not enough off the chest so here is the deal.

Xbox live has lacked a MMORPG for far too long. And what better fit than one of the systems greatest franchises? And for the PC players out there why not make it usable by both? It was made workable by Sony in FFXI to mix console and PC playing so why not Microsoft?

Again, I say the idea is long overdue. Not just because of the Xbox's current lack of online RPG type games, but timing as well. SOE has been ticking off it's subscribers for years now, especially with SWG (in which they just massively changed the combat system destroying half of the communities gameplay) There is also an entire debate on the timeline and use of jedi. Half the community thinks Jedi shouldn't be playable, the other half is upset they have to spend a year before they can finally play one. Again not important stuff to the idea, but demonstrates a need for this game. (if you can't understand how so I will go in more detail if needed)

Sooooo ... back to the idea. Set during the time of the KoToR series you take the game engine and expand it. The current system in solo games requires the obstacle accomplishment of certain tasks to progress the story. Well keep this feature but make them more like the current sub-plot optional tasks. Fill the galaxy with em. These would be the "quests" available for online content.

Character selection would need some tweaking. I mean not everyone will want to play a jedi. So perhaps your starting options are as a Padawan either consular, guardian, or sentinel. Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and whatever else people come up with ...

The game engine should contain as much from the current series as possible, including item cutomization. The variety in skill sets (demolition etc) could prove interesting in group missions/raids.

And with the additional LS colors introduce in KoToR II there should be plenty of variety in the myriad of Jedi that would be running around.

You set the story as a rebuilding of Jedi after the exile leaves ... so lots of young padawan recruits ...

this is the rough concept ... I have a much more detailed version in my head but since it will never become reality, I just figured I would shoot this out for other to comment on.

I have had this idea building in my head, so I finally figured I would write it and throw it out there to the masses and get it off my chest.

KoToR: Online ... ok so maybe that is not enough off the chest so here is the deal.

Xbox live has lacked a MMORPG for far too long.  And what better fit than one of the systems greatest franchises?  And for the PC players out there why not make it usable by both?  It was made workable by Sony in FFXI to mix console and PC playing so why not Microsoft?

Again, I say the idea is long overdue.  Not just because of the Xbox's current lack of online RPG type games, but timing as well.  SOE has been ticking off it's subscribers for years now, especially with SWG (in which they just massively changed the combat system destroying half of the communities gameplay)  There is also an entire debate on the timeline and use of jedi.  Half the community thinks Jedi shouldn't be playable, the other half is upset they have to spend a year before they can finally play one.  Again not important stuff to the idea, but demonstrates a need for this game.  (if you can't understand how so I will go in more detail if needed)

Sooooo ... back to the idea.  Set during the time of the KoToR series you take the game engine and expand it.  The current system in solo games requires the obstacle accomplishment of certain tasks to progress the story.  Well keep this feature but make them more like the current sub-plot optional tasks.  Fill the galaxy with em.  These would be the "quests" available for online content. 

Character selection would need some tweaking.  I mean not everyone will want to play a jedi.  So perhaps your starting options are as a Padawan either consular, guardian, or sentinel.  Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and whatever else people come up with ...

The game engine should contain as much from the current series as possible, including item cutomization.  The variety in skill sets (demolition etc) could prove interesting  in group missions/raids.

And with the additional LS colors introduce in KoToR II there should be plenty of variety in the myriad of Jedi that would be running around. 

You set the story as a rebuilding of Jedi after the exile leaves ... so lots of young padawan recruits ...

this is the rough concept ... I have a much more detailed version in my head but since it will never become reality, I just figured I would shoot this out for other to comment on.

While im not against a MMORPG KotOR game.

The problem comes with sony owning the rights to Star Wars as a MMORPG.

I agree that it would be great to have the KotOR system for a MMORPG, Im afraid we stuck with the crap known as SWG for the immediate future anyways.

Xbox live has lacked a MMORPG for far too long.  And what better fit than one of the systems greatest franchises?  And for the PC players out there why not make it usable by both?  It was made workable by Sony in FFXI to mix console and PC playing so why not Microsoft?

Again, I say the idea is long overdue.  Not just because of the Xbox's current lack of online RPG type games, but timing as well.  SOE has been ticking off it's subscribers for years now, especially with SWG (in which they just massively changed the combat system destroying half of the communities gameplay)  There is also an entire debate on the timeline and use of jedi.  Half the community thinks Jedi shouldn't be playable, the other half is upset they have to spend a year before they can finally play one.  Again not important stuff to the idea, but demonstrates a need for this game.  (if you can't understand how so I will go in more detail if needed)

Sooooo ... back to the idea.  Set during the time of the KoToR series you take the game engine and expand it.  The current system in solo games requires the obstacle accomplishment of certain tasks to progress the story.  Well keep this feature but make them more like the current sub-plot optional tasks.  Fill the galaxy with em.  These would be the "quests" available for online content. 

Character selection would need some tweaking.  I mean not everyone will want to play a jedi.  So perhaps your starting options are as a Padawan either consular, guardian, or sentinel.  Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and whatever else people come up with ...

The game engine should contain as much from the current series as possible, including item cutomization.  The variety in skill sets (demolition etc) could prove interesting  in group missions/raids.

While im not against a MMORPG KotOR game.

The problem comes with sony owning the rights to Star Wars as a MMORPG.

I agree that it would be great to have the KotOR system for a MMORPG, Im afraid we stuck with the crap known as SWG for the immediate future anyways.

crap? that putting it kindly lol

Yes - SWG is crap and going down hill fast. It is not what it started out as, or promised to be. However, that is not the reason I think this is a good idea mind you. I even if SWG was living up to its potential I still think the world of KoTOR is prime for a MMORPG.

I didn't realize that SOE had sole rights to multi-player Star Wars content, if that is the case that is a tragedy for the entire community. Perhaps if developed for the Xbox only it would provide an outlet outside of SOE's agreement since it would be something they could not do. But I am no lawyer, and glad of it.

Then again, I always thought the idea was a "wow wouldn't that just be insane" ... and not a "wow they are gonna do it" ... so I guess that the accountants at SOE are happy. As long as they hold a monopoly on the multi-player Star Wars universe ... we all get to suffer.

Nah... I wouldn't want KotOR to go online. And besides, we don't even know if theres gonna be another KotOR.

... ... ... uhmmm ... sorry you wouldn't want to see it online. I guess everyone has there individual tastes and I can respect that. As far as not even knowing if there is gonna be another one, you apparently missed the point of the thread. This is wishful thinking on my behalf.

They probably never will develop a KoTOR:Online. (Though the potential for fun in my opinion is massive) What relevance does that have to them making or not making KoTOR III?

My biggest dissapointment in both was the game time ... they are far too short ... I beat them both in about 3 days each. The greatest joy for me was earning the right to use a LS and you are halfway through the game before you get to enjoy using one. An online game set in the KoTOR setting has the potential for all the qualities that made the series fun, and all the enjoyment of ongoing play and community offered in an MMO ...

but it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Even if Lucasarts could make a KotOR MMORPG, why would they? Why would they bother making a 2nd star wars MMORPG?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well I had told myself that I wasn't gonna "defend" the idea, and that people were entitled to their opinion, and it was all moot since it would never happen.

However, apparently I lied to myself as I am now about to answer questions posed.

To the response of it being the worst idea ever because the Xbox had no keyboard. It's not like they couldn't develop one ... they also have the headset with Xbox live and for those that played EQOA for PS2, it is very possible and fun to play a MMO without a KB ... worst idea ever? no I believe that was the idea of adding periods to female characters to increase realism

To the question of why would LA want a second MMO? ... Money. Many players and die hard fans would likely obtain accounts on both games. Especially if they are different enough in design and concept. Second they are loosing subscribers currently on SWG and something fresh would gain back the revenue. Third it's not like genre's can't have more than one outlet. It's not like the market is saturated. If they built it, they would come ... no doubt about that. How many "fantasy" setting MMO's are currently up and running. And again, they would be able to tap into the Xbox live community not currently part of the market share making up the current MMO in the SW universe.

To the question of plotline ... it wouldn't be a continuation of the current script ... but an avenue for side adventure and character building in the EU. The setting would be the KOTOR timeline. Possibly set in the time of the Mandolorian wars ... possibly set during the rebuilding of the Jedi council in the outer rim ... possible set ... well plenty of possiblies out there. with the enjoyment of the current system of level, power gain, item customization, character growth etc.

And again it was a wishful thinking.

LOL, Jay

Its impossible to NOT defend an idea when you think its a good one!

LOL, trust me, I have tried as well before.

Just take solice in the fact that those bashing the idea have not made any valid or real counter arguements as of yet and just bashed the idea or KotOR games.

LOL, like the guy that posted saying 2 terrible plots, yada yada yada.

If they plots were half as bad as he claims then KotOR1 wouldnt have been the overwhelming game of year, and KotOR2 wouldnt have been a overwhelming sales success. Obviously he has no clue what hes speaking about and just trolling!

To the response of it being the worst idea ever because the Xbox had no keyboard.  It's not like they couldn't develop one ...

You are right ... they could but then there is the issue LucasArts makes software and not hardware, making a program that depends on hardware that does not exist is not a good one.

Communication is essencial in a MMORPG, a headset might work on you have a limited amount of people but when you have over 20 peopla all talking at the same time ...

And EQOA is a PS2 game and the PS2 have a mouse and keyboard (the PS2 have USB ports as Xbox does not, I guess that is the reason of lack of a mouse and keyboard for the Xbox) and I could point out the diferences of Xbox Live system (that is a closed network managed by MS) and PS2 online system (that is IP based).

drakron.png

The Xbox was not build for MMORPGs.

And MS did more that "toyed", they published Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call II.

They dropped Mythica because "after careful evaluation of the MMORPG landscape, MGS has decided to stream-line its portfolio, making fewer investments in this genre", EQ and UO might made a lot of money but we know how MMORPG demographics work.

Besides this is not about Microsoft plans, Star Wars is hold by LucasArts and as pointed out they already have a MMORPG based in Star Wars and they are still pushing support into it, offering another title would be the same as Square-Enix releasing FF XIII as MMORPG and continue support for FF XI.

drakron.png

Here is the deal.. If KOTOR 3 is made.. and it is made for the XBOX 360, MS has stated that ALL games on the XBOX 360 will be XBOX LIve enabled... this may just mean extra levels, downloadable content.. but i think they would push for online play.. Maybe not MMRPG, but maybe the NWN style, Main character, with tag-alongs..

The Xbox was not build for MMORPGs.

And you are saying the PS2 was?

And MS did more that "toyed", they published Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call II.

Perhaps I should go back an edit mine post with a "(on Xbox)" since it was as simple and obvious what I meant with that line as I thought. (Because unless I am completely ignorant ... Asheron's I and II was PC only)

They dropped Mythica because "after careful evaluation of the MMORPG landscape, MGS has decided to stream-line its portfolio, making fewer investments in this genre", EQ and UO might made a lot of money but we know how MMORPG demographics work.

stream-lining could include building on already active franchises. But MOST IMPORTANTLY: this is an idea that I ... me personally ... feel would be a good investment of time and resources for the players, the fans, the companies involved ... this is my opinion and unlikely wish, not a direct request to MS to change their current stance (which being a "current" stance means they could change their mind as they often do)

Besides this is not about Microsoft plans, Star Wars is hold by LucasArts and as pointed out they already have a MMORPG based in Star Wars and they are still pushing support into it, offering another title would be the same as Square-Enix releasing FF XIII as MMORPG and continue support for FF XI.

You are right. It's not about Microsoft plans. It is about what I feel to be enjoyable content to spend my hard earned dollars on. It is about what I feel is lacking in entertainment choices currently available and that could be filled.

However from a business aspect it would be Microsoft, Lucas Arts, Obsidian/bioware (or whatever developer)

And SOE has had no problem making money of EQ EQII and EQOA ... why did EQOA hit so well? because it was an additional outlet for content for those without high end computers. It was revenue ... and it proved that players would cross games across different mediums as many EQOA players were EQ players as well.

What would be necessary is that the game of KOTOR:ONLINE would be different than SWG ... a different concept, a different game mechanic ... I am not suggesting SWG II ... I am suggesting a different game ...

To other points made previously:

Hardware ... uhmm with the Xbox Mech game they did design a new and special controller ... so yeah I believe if they had a use, they would develop a KB especially if it opened up new gaming options for them. (though they may wait for the 360)

With network ... you need regular network connection to use Xbox Live, so while you may be right that perhaps (and this is a maybe) X-live cannot support ... but the Xbox in fact can.

And the residual income brought on by MMO's is far more desired to some people than the one time shot of selling solo play software.

The below is a small portion of a recap of a pre-E3 press conference

Microsoft was supported on stage by Electronic Arts (EA) president Don Mattrick. He announced that there are 25 titles currently in development at EA for the Xbox 360. President of Square Enix, Yoichi Wada, announced the first game in his Final Fantasy series to come to the Xbox, Final Fantasy XI Online. Mr. Wada announced to the stunned crowd that Microsoft and Square Enix "share a vision for the future of entertainment."

HRMMMM ... could they be saying that Microsoft is planning to do a MMO for 360 ... why yes ... yes they are ... could they be saying the MS realizes like Enix that online play with other gamers is the future of gamin ... could be interpretted that way ...

Now ... that being said as many MMO carriers have branched into other genre's to capitalize on the market share of MMO gaming. A reasonable person could assume that a second Star Wars MMO with a different premise, game play, functionality, and timeline would be a possible outcome of the second online game for the 360.

FF XI never caught that much, in a way I am suprised with Square since they were quite vocal against Microsoft closed network system (in reference to Xbox live) but then again I am not since with the market is full of MMORPGs and I dont think FF XI even caught that much, its also over one year old and so its unlikely to attract many new players so porting the PC version to the Xbox might given it some breath.

As for my other comentaries ...

1) The PS2 network is a IP one with is preferable, also it have USB ports for mouse and keyboard with makes it a better choice over the Xbox ... not as good as the PC and the PS2 was certainly not designed for online play, but it was designed to allow hardware changes down the line (with happened with the HD and modem) as the Xbox lacked such design (lacking even USB ports).

2) "True Fantasy Online" was a MMORPG that MS (japan branch) was making for the Xbox, it got cancelled about a year ago.

It gone around the same time Mythica was cancelled and Asheron's Call(s) were sold back to the developers.

3) MMORPGs have simply saturated the market and are a dificult gender to invest.

Look right now a MMORPG life span is about 6 months before the player exodus take place, it also require continued investement (servers and staff) that end up draining company resources for a game that is unlikely to support itself.

Look at WoW that have its exodus starting, look at the disaster that was The Sims Online.

You sould ask yourself this.

You think "the fans" will play for long on a game that is exactly like Galaxies besides diferent models?

Because honestly they cannot change from that model much, they cannot allow you to start in a Jedi class or they can allow anything but a RT system.

You think you are going to see any changes?

You think they can put the same of details on NPCs as they did on the games?

You think the dialogue is going to be any diferent?

You think its even going to have a story?

No, its a MMORPG and so you end up with a static world, with bland NPCs and with no story ...

drakron.png

FF XI never caught that much, in a way I am suprised with Square since they were quite vocal against Microsoft closed network system (in reference to Xbox live) but then again I am not since with the market is full of MMORPGs and I dont think FF XI even caught that much, its also over one year old and so its unlikely to attract many new players so porting the PC version to the Xbox might given it some breath.

-So you are saying that adding to another outlet is the reason they did this? Hrmmm even the xbox as another outlet ... made good business sense to a developer .... hmmmm yet you berrated my idea for bringing a SW MMO to xbox because it was already avail (the genre not the game) on PC ... yet they find not just the genre but the very game itself to be a good marketing and financially rewarding vestment when porting it into another system to breathe in more life and revenue... hrmmmmmmm

1) The PS2 network is a IP one with is preferable, also it have USB ports for mouse and keyboard with makes it a better choice over the Xbox ... not as good as the PC and the PS2 was certainly not designed for online play, but it was designed to allow hardware changes down the line (with happened with the HD and modem) as the Xbox lacked such design (lacking even USB ports).

-I don't even know what point you are trying to make here. I believe that you are attempting to show that PS2 being more versatile makes it a more likely candidate for an MMO ... ok ... but that doesn't show that Xbox can't do it ... in fact, they are planning on it ... hrmmmmmm

2) "True Fantasy Online" was a MMORPG that MS (japan branch) was making for the Xbox, it got cancelled about a year ago.

It gone around the same time Mythica was cancelled and Asheron's Call(s) were sold back to the developers.

-yes and SWG was originally supposed to be released for Xbox Live in its initial line-up ... it didn't. Do you realize how many concepts never take flight? I have not once, ever seen a statement stating that the reason these titles were cancelled was because the Xbox could not do an MMO ... not once. Not to say they haven't, just that I have never ever seen it. It would not make sense to me if they were cancelled because of system limitations. Why in the hell would they keep coming back to the same idea; an MMO is needed for the platform.

3) MMORPGs have simply saturated the market and are a dificult gender to invest.

Look right now a MMORPG life span is about 6 months before the player exodus take place, it also require continued investement (servers and staff) that end up draining company resources for a game that is unlikely to support itself.

-This statement is something you made up, with either bad facts or just felt like no one would catch it. Some MMO's have a 6 month lifespan. Look at UO, EQ, SWG these games have been around self-supporting for years. Even EQOA lasted longer than six months before exodus. In fact it lasted up until they did not add content after frontiers. (Then again they are still occasionally patching in content and the game itself is still active) The six month exodus is a mild thing that occurs from players testing out a new concept who decide it's not for them ... or they shift to the newest thing ... (I do not have the financials on what can be considered revenue on the monthly maintenance however I doubt they are loosing their ass on the deal. especially since a game like Guild Wars can come out with NO MONTHLY FEE ... yet these games are non-profitable and non-self supporting right?) ... hrmmmmm

Look at WoW that have its exodus starting, look at the disaster that was The Sims Online.

- uhmmmm what???? that has got to be your least intelligent rebuttle yet. What do these two games have to do with my wish for a KoTOR: ONLINE game? apparently if you think the draw of The Sims is equal to or greater than the draw to Star Wars ... you are no where near informed enough to be allowed to participate in forum discussions. Especially considering that the SWG exodus now occuring is not due to the game, which for two years has maintained a strong player base, but in fact do to the fact that SOE screwed over the players and completely changed the game they had become loyal to and refused to fix the real issues within the game.

You think "the fans" will play for long on a game that is exactly like Galaxies besides diferent models?

1) Because SWG, as mentioned in my statment above, is being destroyed for many long term players ... uhmmm yes. Yes I believe they would as they have already left and are just looking for the content to migrate to. (currently guild wars and mXo)

2) Well they played/are playing now for the better part of two years on SWG .. so uhmmm ... YES.

3) I am not proposing SWG with different models. Not once can you quote that I want Galaxies with different models. This shows that you are just making crap up to shoot down the idea. You have not read anything of substance in what I have written. In fact I believe I have often said that the reason I believe that LA would be possibly willing to back the idea is if the mechanics, concept, and play were vastly different than SWG and had more of a KOTOR feel to them.

Because honestly they cannot change from that model much, they cannot allow you to start in a Jedi class or they can allow anything but a RT system.

1) Yes they can change from that model much. You truly have no concept of the word innovative do you?

2) Yes they could allow the start from a Jedi Class ... or perhaps start it more similar to the KOTOR as a scoundral, soldier, explorer etc. Require a level entry to either begin life as a bounty hunter, or enter the jedi as an initiate. Other elite proffesion options would be available.

3) KoTOR was based on fighting classes, gaining advancement very similar to the Pen and Paper game, with standard character growth (EQ style in comparison)... this is all highly different than the concept of SWG which is skill branch (not level) oriented, and has a more UO feel to it overall (if you had to make a comparison)

-uhmmm yes .. yes I do, and you would to if you would actually read what I am saying, instead of perusing my post for your next possible half baked gripe.

-Yes and no. (look at EQ) They can be detailed enough. But no, full voice acting in long monologues will more than likely not even be feesable.

-what? what are you talking about???

No, its a MMORPG and so you end up with a static world, with bland NPCs and with no story ...

So the truth comes out ... all of this hate over my idea for what I wanted to see, brought on because you don't like MMO's. You think they are stale. You think they have no story. Well if it's not for you, how about you go talk about something you do like. If you enjoyed MMO's and felt the idea not feesable that's one thing .... but this entire discussion has been like NBA fan trying to argue why the NFL shouldn't have an expansion team. You have a loose concept of what's going on but you are driven by your lack of interest in the genre and quite possibly your contempt.

-Oh and to answer your questions MMO's do have a story. But the game world is more of a backdrop for characters to grow. Sure it's not linear ... but I have always thought linear stories were meant for those without the imagination to see choice. Guess that would be why MMO's aren't for you?

I tried FFXI (PC Version). It was a popular game with the teen crowd and had good subscription rates. Granted it didnt catch on in North America but has decent Asian market coverage.

but will XBox 360 be lacking that is the question? (personally I dont know much about 360 as Ill wait till I am ready to buy it before I look into it heavily. Just seems to me that MS would make sure common place stuff like that will be there this time around.

Lots of MMORPGs dont make it outta the planning or early creation stages. AC games have a very low subscription rate and are slowly dieing. While im NOT a fan of AC, its been around a fair amount of time and has lived its life. It never was ( even at its highest subscription numbers) a real competitor in the MMORPG wars (it never really competed with EQ, UO, or even DAoC for that matter). As for Mythica, Id be willing to bet the law suit against them regarding name had far more to do with its cancellation then any thing else.

Not true what so ever Drac.

Longest running MMORPGs (off top of head so times wont be perfect quotations)

1) The Realms: 11-12 years

2) UO: 9-10 years

3) EQ: 8-9 years

4) AC: 7 years

5) DAoC: approaching 5 years

6) SWG Approaching 4 years

There is others im sure but its 3 am here, but point is made

Not sure where you get this 6 month period from. As a long term die hard MMORPG player I can tell you based on actual experience that MMORPGs tend to have their first drop in subscriptions AFTER their first year out. HOWEVER, popular MMORPGs like EQ, Lineage, DAoC, ect actually grow in overall subcriptions after the first year (new accounts off set leaving accounts).. Its actually the 3 year (not 6 month) mark were the subscription numbers noticably fall lower then previous levels.

Also, you pointed out WoW. WoW is designed for the casual player, BY DESIGN its going to have a much higher turn over rate then other MMORPGs because you run out of content faster. A normal MMORPG player (20-30 hours a week playing) will max out in WoW in 2-3 weeks. So their higher drop off rate was to be expected. Should also note that WoW is not the standard design of a MMORPG and the newer batch of MMORPGs coming out are doing everything they can to NOT be associated (in design) to WoWs template.

PS: For a MMORPG in todays market to break even they need 80k accounts (not including original purchase price) to break even. (this information releaed by Wolfpack Studios, designers of Shadowbane). WoW currently has 2.5 million subscribers. Yes they are losing accounts at a rate never before seen in the MMORPG market. But they have made their money back and then some even if EVERYONE left now and they continued to run game for next 20 years.

DAoC is at its lowerst levels ever and STILL has close to 200k active subscriptions every month. EQ (last I heard) was still at 800k active subscriptions. SWG (last I heard) was at 500k active subscriptions. Lineage (last I heard) was at 1.5 million active subscriptions. Heck, even Shadowbane and AC2 (both concidered utter flops in the MMORPG genre) have made their money back plus some.

Yes MMORPGs are costly to make, but if you see it through to release, your pretty much guarenteed to make money from it. Other then Horizons, I cant think of a single MMORPG (in 14+ years) that didnt make its money back and then a profit. Thats a pretty good percentage which ISNT true to the Offline game market.

All of these questions can be answered in a single word.....YES

Of course that yes depends on who is creating the MMORPG. No current MMORPG company has any products that come remotely close to the quality storylines that Bioware and Obsidian are known for now. Hell Blizzard comes the closest and even they cant be compared when refering to storylines IMO.

So yes you could see alot of changes. Details depend on the system. Make a MMORPG for the new XBox 360 and I wouldnt doubt for a second that the details would be better then currently. Dialog all depends on how its written. Fact is EVER single quest and story from K1 or K2 or Jade Empire can be done almost identically in a MMORPG. FFXI has one unique quality to it, it really does play like a offline rpg some times. Complete with cut screens and ever thing.

As for story. Stories are what MMORPG players have been waiting for and still are. Go read any MMORPG site and they want quests that get them involved in storylines. Problem is companies like Blizzard, Sony, Mythic, ect always use the cop out excuse of " The players create the storyline". No one wants that other then the programers as it cuts down on content demands. So just because MMORPGs have lacked storylines in the past doesnt mean we dont want them and they cant have them.

Again, only if you have a bland developer making the MMORPG.

KotOR franchise would be AWSOME as a MMORPG (made by Bioware or Obsidian). The only real reason we will not see it is because SOE has the rights to Star Wars MMORPGs. Thus were stuck with SWG, which is a terrible terrible thing (sorry cant even bring myself to call it a game anymore).

PS: If you want proff on what I just told you, go visit Dungeons and Dragons Online website. Upcoming MMORPG where the STORY and quests will be the game rather then the cop out static stuff you seem to think are required in MMORPGs.

Just because everyone thus far has made sub quality games doesnt mean everyone has to, each developer is different and a KotOR MMORPG (useing the design of the offline game but expanded on) would be a HUGE freaking success. Its truely a shame it will never happen though.

Just because everyone thus far has made sub quality games doesnt mean everyone has to, each developer is different and a KotOR MMORPG (useing the design of the offline game but expanded on) would be a HUGE freaking success. Its truely a shame it will never happen though.

Thank you Kalfear ... ditto on your entire post.

while I would love a MMORPG for the Xbox based on Star Wars, I really want to see the KOTOR series end first. Maybe Jedi Academy 2 Jedi Online, were you could choose to be a Sith Padawan or a Jedi Padawan and the top players from either side would be the Jedi Council or the Sith Council, basically a game that is totally player run.

while I would love a MMORPG for the Xbox based on Star Wars, I really want to see the KOTOR series end first. Maybe Jedi Academy 2 Jedi Online, were you could choose to be a Sith Padawan or a Jedi Padawan and the top players from either side would be the Jedi Council or the Sith Council, basically a game that is totally player run.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter.

If they want to make a MMORPG based on Star Wars, then I'd hope they either a)improve upon SWG, or b)create a whole new experience. Rather than tamper with the current KOTOR format.

IMO, it's like saying "I loved Baldurs Gate. But maybe if they made it an action game instead where you control the swords and arrows!". It would pretty much ruin what Baldurs Gate is all about.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)