KoToR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I think that it would be neat if say we can see what Revan did when he was a Sith Lord. Say the Jedi kept his memory in a box or something when they wiped him. Then you as the main character (Revan, Exile, somebody new, etc) gotta find the box and access Revan's memory to find out some plot-related thing, and you see what he did as Darth Revan. And it better be good.

K2 was good IMO (could be great if there were less missing scripts) but it kinda strayed from K1's story a little. I want to see with the outcome of K1 and K2 very heavily mixed into K3, with all the alive characters, choices, and plots. Just try to make some things less mysterious and more explained.

8) See, when you put your sensible head on, you are capable of some truly good ideas.

Are you talking about an in-game movie? Or maybe some in-game content?

Well it can be both, but I was mostly referring it to an in-game thing. Maybe you can also use a Revan holocron to teach you a new deadly lightsaber technique?

Since it's the 3rd game of the series, I think it's about time that all the mysteries everyone is pondering on are finally answered.

I would love to play a new race and have a choice of races.

Game Idea:

Start out as a young Padawan being trained by the new Jedi Council. Say he has a dream ...vision...whatever about Raven. That dream leads him to search for Reven, along with his Master. Then kinda in Anakin fashion, you can go evil away from your master or stay good. Of course lots of plot twists can be incorporated.

What i think this allows is

1. You start as a Padawan. Please give him a lightsaber early on. Going half the game to get one is a bit much. Plus let players try out different races, if nothing else this adds to replay value.

2. Experience training under a Master. Maybe you can choose the Master you trian under?

3. Experience the progression from Padawan to master.

Well that's my 2 cents

How about in KotOR 3 a force power that allows you to hide your true intentions, or maybe even at its simplest an extremely increased use of the [lie] function, that was apparent in the last two games, for example:

(In the most basic of terms)

Jedi Master: "You must defeat the sith lord!"

<Players Choices>

1) I will defeat the sith lord and won't take his place.

2) [lie] [force <whatever>] I will defeat the sith lord and won't take his place.

3) I am also a sith and I will defeat you instead.

Darth Sirius, you nailed it right on the head. One of the biggest holes in the game is the relative lack of the "non-bully" DS path. Some will argue otherwise but I think they are wrong. If you want to be so DSed that you get Force Crush, for instance, you ain't getting there with dialogue alone in this game. So that means if you are playing a smooth, diplomatic, manipulator-type character, you are not going to benefit from nearly as much DS stuff as THE BUTCHER who is always saying SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!

You could also do the LS side of things and still get DS points, and only reveal your plan, when it is too late 

Thoughts anyone?

Absolutely! One of the key ways you get

Bao-Dur to become a Jedi

is by doing compassionate things. Well, by doing compassionate things, you get LS points.

It would be nice to be able to have something like this:

> "here, take this medpac and these 50 credits"

> "[FORCE DECEPTION] here, take this medpac and these 50 credits"

and, of course:

> "I don't give a cannok's rear end about your predicament"

> "I'll be going now"

the first (LS), third (DS-BULLY) and fourth (NEUTRAL) of those they already have.

what they need to add is DS-MANIPULATOR.

That simple change would add so much more believeability and depth, even if you don't actually use it yourself.

My vision for kotor3:

First things first, a new game engine. Don't get me wrong I think Kotor has some nice graphics I just think that they could do better. Wouldn't mind the new Unreal engine being used. They should incorperate a physics engine. Just imagine picking up the lead soldier and hurling him in to the advancing lines following just behind. Also they should move Kotor3 to the next gen consoles to take advantage of their power because I actually managed to make my Xbox freeze and hiss at me because of something I did.(and trust me it wasn't a glitch)

I am one of the ones that would like to see a departure from the Reven/Exile storyline. A Fable type of story would be kind cool so you could begin as a young padawan and then it turns in to the real story later when you become older.

I liked how you could learn different powers and feats from different characters in the game but felt it was not explored enough. Maybe less feats and powers learned during leveling up and more from quest/dialog.

I like how in Kotor2 you got new animations as you leveled up but you usally didn't notice them because they stopped changing after early lvls. More combat animations should be included. They should make fighting more fluid so it looks more like the movies when Jedi battle. There needs to be moving during combate so they don't just stand there and take turns swinging at each other. Maybe in early lvls they stand in one place but as you lvl up you move more.

More dyamic backgrounds are needed. It does kind of get boring when on a space ship you see the same 3 squadrons of fighters go by. Also I know it is an rpg but more interactive environments.

I really enjoyed the infuence system however it needed some tweeking. Ex: choosing between Hand Maiden and Viasa, after you pick one the other has nothing to do with you.

Random item generation could use some tweeking so where you find an item make sense.

I immensely enjoyed the Onderon lvl where you split your forces up. It was a great idea and should be done more often.

Intigrating a character generator like the one in Tony Hawk or Neverwinter Nights would be a welcomed edition.

When the game enters the "end phase", when the story is wraping up, don't limit where the character can go so much.

The last thing is dialog loops. They can get kind of annoying.

From reading this you would probably think that I didn't like the games but in fact they are my favorite. :D

(I would like to read this entire thread but it would probably make my eyes bleed.)

>>>>I am one of the ones that would like to see a departure from the Reven/Exile storyline. A Fable type of story would be kind cool so you could begin as a young padawan and then it turns in to the real story later when you become older.

While I am all in favor of these games becoming self-contained, non-trilogy stories beyond KOTOR III, I want KOTOR III to be a ROTJ kind of story. It needs to be epic in scope and finish off the True Sith. However, while Revan and the Exile need to be mentioned (and possibly involved), they definitely don't have to be playable characters. In fact, it would probably be much easier to write the story if Revan (especially) is not a playable character.

>>>>I liked how you could learn different powers and feats from different characters in the game but felt it was not explored enough. Maybe less feats and powers learned during leveling up and more from quest/dialog.

I agree that it would be nice to learn more skills, powers, and feats from conversations with NPCs. Morrowind, despite its faults, had a pretty good system of training....you pay a trainer, you advance in that skill. And speaking of this, I think it would be really sweet if your PC had different mentors at different stages of the game....NOT one big all-encompassing mentor who just so happens to be the primary storytelling device.....at some point, one of your mentors dies and his Force Ghost helps guide you through the endgame.

>>>>I really enjoyed the infuence system however it needed some tweeking. Ex: choosing between Hand Maiden and Viasa, after you pick one the other has nothing to do with you.

the influence thing was good but it needs alot of work. it also ties into the lack of NPC-to-NPC interactions. if there really is bad blood between Handmaiden and Visas, why didn't we get more cutscreens illustrating that? perhaps there could have been a way to broker some sort of peace between the two? influence was also alignment-based....THIS IS BAD if you can't CHANGE OUT PARTY MEMBERS. If you could change out party members to those who have more in common with you, then it would not be as bad to have it alignment-based. also, the relative lack of NPC sidequests....influence should unlock non-essential training and sidequests....NOT essential clues to the main story.

>>>>Random item generation could use some tweeking so where you find an item make sense.

right. random loot is fine if it is done right. if you destroy a droid and find credits on him, that's a problem.

>>>>I immensely enjoyed the Onderon lvl where you split your forces up. It was a great idea and should be done more often.

if there was any one area (gameplay-wise) where KOTOR II blew away KOTOR I it was with the multithreaded elements....absolutely right....need more of that!

>>>>When the game enters the "end phase", when the story is wraping up, don't limit where the character can go so much.

the endgames in these games are extremely linear. it would be nice if there could be a number of different ways to complete the game (think Vampire: TMB).

>>>>The last thing is dialog loops. They can get kind of annoying.

right...if you are obviously not getting anywhere with someone, the devs should give us a clue....for instance, with the Handmaiden, you find yourself just looping back into the same dialogue trees, they should send up a signal by only giving us one thing we can say. if we see that, we know there is no point in continuing to dialogue. If we come back later and there is more than one thing we can say, then we know the influence rating (or something) has changed and that there is now a reason to start conversing with that person again.

>>>>From reading this you would probably think that I didn't like the games but in fact they are my favorite.

I'm with you. I really enjoy these games...I just want them to get better and better.

How about in KotOR 3 a force power that allows you to hide your true intentions, or maybe even at its simplest an extremely increased use of the [lie] function, that was apparent in the last two games, for example:

<Players Choices>

2) [lie] [force <whatever>] I will defeat the sith lord and won't take his place.

Darth Sirius, you nailed it right on the head. One of the biggest holes in the game is the relative lack of the "non-bully" DS path. Some will argue otherwise but I think they are wrong. If you want to be so DSed that you get Force Crush, for instance, you ain't getting there with dialogue alone in this game. So that means if you are playing a smooth, diplomatic, manipulator-type character, you are not going to benefit from nearly as much DS stuff as THE BUTCHER who is always saying SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!

the first (LS), third (DS-BULLY) and fourth (NEUTRAL) of those they already have.

That simple change would add so much more believeability and depth, even if you don't actually use it yourself.

I concur.

There is no "Chaotic Evil" option, whereby a character employs misinformation, in the form of deliberate deception, to engineer an outcome without direct, front on assault. When faced with overwelming opposition, a Sith Lord in KotOR is only permitted a "Lawful Evil" frontal attack! More realistically would be a more Kreia-like method of divide-and-conquer, planting seeds of fear, uncertainty and doubt in the inds of the enemy, atacking their alliances and morale before their defences.

This would, of course, require a lot more thought and effort in the writing stage.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

<Players Choices>

I concur.

There is no "Chaotic Evil" option, whereby a character employs misinformation, in the form of deliberate deception, to engineer an outcome without direct, front on assault. When faced with overwelming opposition, a Sith Lord in KotOR is only permitted a "Lawful Evil" frontal attack! More realistically would be a more Kreia-like method of divide-and-conquer, planting seeds of fear, uncertainty and doubt in the inds of the enemy, atacking their alliances and morale before their defences.

This would, of course, require a lot more thought and effort in the writing stage.

Erm, isn't what you describe exactly what lawful evil is? Chaotic evil means chaotic, after all, which implies anarchistic tendencies with little tolerance for manipulation and rule-bending - that's exactly the DS bully we've seen in these games. Kreia is much closer to lawful or neutral evil than DS Revan or DS Exile are, since she does work within the system in order to manipulate it toward the results she wants, just as Palpatine does. Chaotic is utter rejection of the established rules and so is far less subtle and manipulative.

Anyway, those are D&D alignments, and they are usually more trouble than they're worth in the first place - we probably shouldn't try to apply them to Star Wars unless we want this to turn into yet another of those undead alignment topics...

a couple of things came to mind as I was playing KOTOR II just now:

* Common-sense AI

we all know the combat system needs better AI but there are other areas too.

for instance, I just completed a combat scenario and so all my party members are coming closer to me now that the combat is over. Well, Atton walks through 2 mines (and almost falls over) while walking over to me. This kind of stuff should absolutely not be the case. also, if you are in a room full of poisonous gas, for instance, your party members should automatically put on breath masks if they have them (this would require individual inventory, which I also think we need...plus an encumberance system). also, if a party member is down to 5% hit points, he uses a medpac automatically....that kind of stuff would be sweet.

* More Squad Options

the AI scripts are good (grenadier, ranged, etc). however, it would be nice to be able to issue commands to the entire squad, "withdrawl to the checkpoint" or "everyone toss a grenade" or "everyone follow me" or "everyone rush the leader" or "everyone use ranged attacks until further notice", etc. Squad commands temporarily override individual AI scripts until the PC nullifies the squad command or until the combat situation is over. Also, things like GROUP STEALTH would be nice.

a couple of things came to mind as I was playing KOTOR II just now:

* Common-sense AI

we all know the combat system needs better AI but there are other areas too.

for instance, I just completed a combat scenario and so all my party members are coming closer to me now that the combat is over.  Well, Atton walks through 2 mines (and almost falls over) while walking over to me.  This kind of stuff should absolutely not be the case.  also, if you are in a room full of poisonous gas, for instance, your party members should automatically put on breath masks if they have them (this would require individual inventory, which I also think we need...plus an encumberance system).  also, if a party member is down to 5% hit points, he uses a medpac automatically....that kind of stuff would be sweet.

* More Squad Options

the AI scripts are good (grenadier, ranged, etc).  however, it would be nice to be able to issue commands to the entire squad, "withdrawl to the checkpoint" or "everyone toss a grenade" or "everyone follow me" or "everyone rush the leader" or "everyone use ranged attacks until further notice", etc.  Squad commands temporarily override individual AI scripts until the PC nullifies the squad command or until the combat situation is over.  Also, things like GROUP STEALTH would be nice.

I concur. But I think squad commands would be hard to do because there are so many posibilities. I think that is why they allow you to decide your companions actions. What really would be nice is a voice command system. I know it is just probably a stupid hope but I have heard that they are going to have at least one voice recongnizing game for next gen systems. I also have to say I do think they should add more options in dialog for those who don't want to just a be the good guy who does no wrong and the bad guy who has to kill everything. It would lead to more deapth.

One last thing, what happened to the moments from the first Kotor when you would be stopped on, depending on who your companions where, and they would start talking between themselves about what had happened and other things. It was kind of cool and sometimes memorable and sometimes placed in stupid places. I don't really remember these moments to much in Kotor2.

as an possible storyline you could also be a complete new character (wich you can customize the same way as the in the preqeuls) and go to the Outer Rim to search Revan and the Exile and when you finally find them one of them wil choose your side and together you fight the other .during your search you wil meet some of the characters of the prequels who are searching for their former masters, and wil now team up with you. You also have to build a second jedi enclave on a new world. you should of course be able to choose your own ship. and when you build a lightsabre you should also be able to build very short once (like a "light"knife) witch you can use for new styles of fighting. and if HK-47 returns there should be an upgrade so you can turn him into an HK-50 also you should be able to find a whole set of (for instance) HK-50 gear witch wil make him practicly invulnerable. maybe it would also be nice if on of your team-members would be a yoda-specie (maybe grandfather or something even if it is 4000 years before it doesn't matter because yoda is already 900 years old maybe it runs in the family :D )

as new force powers i wouls definitely like to see some kind of Force Lift (so you can levitate thing like enemies but also obstacles) and also a Force ability wich hide your emotions so that you can keep lying and lying without anyone noticing it. I also liked the idea of the airspeeder (KOTOR II, Nar Shaddaa) but its functions has to be more expanded so that you can travel where ever you like and not to certain dockingplaces. also podracers should become upgradeble.

thats it for now!!!

Now that I think about it, I'd like to be the leader, not the errand boy. It's always do this fetch this etc. I'd like to be the leader of a new enclave.

Maybe, a galactic sidequest is finding small children (Actually, make that youths c. 16) that are highly force sensitive, and leaving them for training. Then, during a final battle, the amount of students and the quality of training given would have a huge impact.

Hello to all!

First ever post, couldn't just sit by and watch you all talk about kotor3 and not join in!

I know this may seem a rather small matter after what you've all been discussing, but a feature I would love to see in kotor3 is hoods on robes. I know personally I think that the assault on Iziz in kotor2 would have looked much better with a hooded character, red lightsaber blazing, marching up the sky ramp with Vaklu's guard behing him.

In concern with the story, nearly all of the posts here have excellent and valid points.

My favourite has to be the idea of Revan having had an apprentice, and when the Mandalorian Wars began this apprentice was left with incomplete training. This Padawan would have to have a considerable connection to the Force, otherwise a Jedi such as Revan would not have taken him/her on as his apprentice.

Supposing this apprentice of Revan's has found it hard to live with incomplete training at the hands of the Dark Lord and seeks him out.

I don't quite know where the story would go from there but a story like that would make me play through kotor3, having said that I will play thorugh it anyway.

Anybody got any thoughts on a possible storyline??

P.S. Maximum respect to Jediphile and Oerwinde, you dudes really know what your talking about.

Now that I think about it, I'd like to be the leader, not the errand boy. It's always do this fetch this etc. I'd like to be the leader of a new enclave.

Maybe, a galactic sidequest is finding small children (Actually, make that youths c. 16) that are highly force sensitive, and leaving them for training. Then, during a final battle, the amount of students and the quality of training given would have a huge impact.

That could be a fun game, but I don't think it's Kotor 3. We need some loose ends tying up, and badly.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I want to start out on Coruscant as a Jedi padawan, go through all the training, and then get deployed with my master to find Revan in the Outer Rim. That's how I want KOTOR 3 to start. This game would be great with a master/padawan team concept.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I too would enjoy actually going through the training process, as opposed to it being glossed over as in KOTOR I (though I know the reason it was). Few games take the time or effort to adequately explain how the characters received their skills, instead sending them directly into the world. Even those games that do usually start at the ending challenge for their training. However, I am unsure how feasible this is due to the fact they have a set narrative to spin. Certainly, it could be worked in, however, by a smart developer.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I also liked the idea of the airspeeder (KOTOR II, Nar Shaddaa) but its functions has to be more expanded so that you can travel where ever you like and not to certain dockingplaces. also podracers should become upgradeble.

thats it for now!!!

right on! and as much as I'd like to see real-time swoop biking over land, etc, I suppose I could settle for more quick transit options....but they really need to expand on that.

That could be a fun game, but I don't think it's Kotor 3. We need some loose ends tying up, and badly.

right. McBane is essentially talking about what Jedi do in peace time...I WOULD LOVE to see some KOTOR games set in a time of relative galactic peace and run errands for the High Council and officially advance in rank, etc.

However, that is NOT KOTOR 3.

I know this may seem a rather small matter after what you've all been discussing, but a feature I would love to see in kotor3 is hoods on robes. I know personally I think that the assault on Iziz in kotor2 would have looked much better with a hooded character, red lightsaber blazing, marching up the sky ramp with Vaklu's guard behing him.

if the devs decide to do only one thing differently in KOTOR 3 then it would have to be more REGULAR CLOTHING OPTIONS and appearance options.

for robes, there needs to be a toggle for:

Hood up

Hood down

lightsaber:

customizable hilts (and you see this reflected in the actual graphic)

* Freedon Nadd's lightsaber should not look like the one you built from scratch...I'm sorry, this is huge and they would be wise to fix it.

gloves:

if I am not mistaken, hand attire is not reflected in the actual screen graphic of your character at the present time....they should definitely fix that.

disguises:

I thought one of the best parts of KOTOR I was being able to run around dressed as a Sith soldier for part of the game. (do you remember how differently people spoke to you with that on? :D ) Need more in the way of diguises and the kind of "regular clothing" you have on should affect the kind of dialogue sequences you get.

(and speaking of lightsaber, the non-traditional colors like violet need to be much rarer than they are in KOTOR II IMO....also red lightsabers should be rare since only someone very powerful in the dark side can even make one, according to the EU...finding a red lightsaber should be like finding a silver or black one...highly prized and very rare and if people know you use a red lightsaber, that should result in how they perceive you....oh, he must be Sith! they need to expand on the lore of the red lightsaber a bit more).

The KOTOR 3 developers should be hiring us to make the game :D

These are some great ideas. I especially like the option of having a hood up or hood down toggle. But what I think would make the game really complete is if there's a toggle to throw off your jedi robes, unveiling dueling robes. :cool: And I would also like to see an option to customize your robes' appearance.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I have an idea thats kind of the basis of Jedi Academy, you are one of the new members of the Jedi Order. Your master would be Bao-Dur, Brianna, Disciple or Atton. Eventually, Mira comes to the Academy, and says that the Exile and Revan desperately need assistance, so Atton and co take off to assist Revan and the Exile, you and a few other Jedi students smuggle yourselves aboard the ship (Personally I think the other Jedi students should include a Kel Dor and Yoda creature).

So after you and your companions get discovered, Mira says she'll return them to the Academy and make sure that they remain there. Upon returning to the Academy it is bombed by "The True Sith" Mira gets all the students off the planet were the Academy is located but dies before she can get to a transport. So you and your companions fly around the galaxie trying to find a place to land and hide for awhile. You eventually crash land on Visas' home planet, Visas saves you and your companions from the ship just as it blows up. Visas sensing the strength in you and your NPC's decides that she should continue your training, she teaches you about the force and you build your light sabers, (throw a Jedi Academy Lightsaber building system in there) your companions come to you for advice on which kind they should build (you choose theirs as well). Then Visas tells you to find Jolee and Juhani so they can teach you about Revan and other important things.

You then find Jolee and Juhani who ask you what Revan looked like and you get to choose on of the faces from the first game, then they ask you what The Exile looked like, you choose a face from the second one. Then they tell you to warn Carth and the republic about the Sith then go to Dxun to find Canderous and the Mandalorians and warn them.

After you find those guys Bastilla comes to you and charges you with going to the unknown regions and bring Revan and the Exile home (Yes bring the others back to) and prepare for the war.

And that concludes the training missions, the rest of the game will be you and your companions getting older and becoming full fledged Jedi.

I kind of get tirred of looking at my character carrying his lightsaber around and never putting it up. For the next one they should have it hanging from the belt and when you enter combat you pull it from there. Also my character kind of looked stupid with a weapon in their hand while manipulating controls and talking. So what they need to do is put lightsabers and blaster pistols on the belt/waist and other weapons possibly on the back.

I really agree with the hood idea but I also think that they should incude cloth physics so the robes don't look so painted on. I liked that the in Kotor2 how the bottom of robes would move a little but it looked bad.

I agree with the idea of two layers of robes. An outer layer which is like a coat and a inner. I think it would be cool if when you initaite combat you through off your outer layer and then pull your saber out (from the first idea in post) and then proceed to kill everything that looks at you funny. It makes sense because the outer layer is bulky and would hamper your fighting ability. :D

These are some great ideas. I especially like the option of having a hood up or hood down toggle. But what I think would make the game really complete is if there's a toggle to throw off your jedi robes, unveiling dueling robes. :cool: And I would also like to see an option to customize your robes' appearance.

The toggle thing could also apply to armor. In KOTOR I, if you put on Mandalorian Assault Armor, you also had the helmet on. In KOTOR II, you don't have the helmet and there is no way to equip it.

It would be nice if you had the option to equip it or not equip it....just think about a mission in which you want all of your party members to be perceived as elite Mandalorian warriors!

(I also like the bit about the 2 layers of robes).