Advent Rising theatrical trailer

On another forum there are a bunch of people who are Boycotting anything by Orson Scott Card because he's one of those anti-gay "if you don't support president Bush you're a traitor" type republicans.

Just a fun fact.

I was interested in the game but from what I'm hearing the story is the only good part of the game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

On another forum there are a bunch of people who are Boycotting anything by Orson Scott Card because he's one of those anti-gay "if you don't support president Bush you're a traitor" type republicans.
Is there any other kind?

Is there any other kind?

Well, my views allign with the classic Republican ideals more than Democrats, but I hate Bush, am pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and anti-war.

Bush isn't really a Republican in the classic sense, he's just...odd.

I had been waiting for this game for several years, and so was disappointed by the reviews and debated whether to even get it. I rented it yesterday and do not regret my choice to try it.

Well, I beat it a few hours ago and I have to say I loved it. It does have it technical shortcomings, but they were so rare in my game as to be almost nonexistent. While some scifi cheese was there, overall the story was enjoyable and I found myself engrossed in the game.

Several reviewers have found it too easy, yet I found it somewhat challenging, being forced to replay multiple sections numerous times. That might just be a comment on my skill at action games, however. I normally play just RPGs and the occassional strategy game.

Though I dont play many games, I do play the ones I have a great deal. And, in my opinion, Advent Rising was one of the most enjoyable I have played in a long time.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I saw an ad on tv for this yesterday and it caught my eye, but after listening to the designer interviews I pretty much wrote it off as those two guys I found to be TERRIBLE speakers and didnt instill any convidenc e about there game itself.

After watching the actual review of game gotta say Im going to pass.

Whole thing SEEMS to be a rpg trying to pass itself off as a FPS style of game. Hated Halo and this game ranks about the same for me to be honest.

Its a shame, I was hoping people would notice the success of KotOR franchise and JE and start making quality RPGs again.

Its a shame, I was hoping people would notice the success of KotOR franchise and JE and start making quality RPGs again.

Although I too think that Advent Rising would have been a lot better if they had made it into an action RPG like Jade Empire, I think you're drawing your conclusion way too early. Remember that games like KotOR2 (released in february 2005) and Jade Empire (released in april 2005) are new releases and a game development cycle stretches over several years (most often), and you'll see that we probably haven't seen the influences of those top quality titles yet. Time will tell if they've managed to up the interest in the quality RPG genre.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What you seem to miss is that this game was never intended to be an RPG. It is and has always been an action-adventure game designed with a sci-fi story in mind. Personally, as I said earlier, I absolutely loved it. And in my opinion, judging the quality of a game based on the developer's ability at rhetoric surpasses stupidity. Skill at one task is not to be judged by a deficiency in an unrelated aspect of life. I suggest you try it at least by renting it before completely writing it off.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

What you seem to miss is that this game was never intended to be an RPG. It is and has always been an action-adventure game designed with a sci-fi story in mind. Personally, as I said earlier, I absolutely loved it. And in my opinion, judging the quality of a game based on the developer's ability at rhetoric surpasses stupidity. Skill at one task is not to be judged by a deficiency in an unrelated aspect of life. I suggest you try it at least by renting it before completely writing it off.

Actually Arch, if you listen to the designer interveiw they flat out admit they brought whats his name in to beef up the characters and storyline. So yes, they are trying to be a FPS with heavy RPG as well.

So nope, didnt miss that what so ever, just went off what the designers said, plain and simple.

And nope, I dont rent rent games (only buy the ones I really want) so its written off for me. When designers fail to build my interest in their own game, thats a bad sign from the get go. I usually dont put much stock in reviews (as they are either so bias or bought and paid for) but gotta admit gamespots review seemed to cover the game pretty well (for a change).

Game just doesnt hold any interest for me, I will give them credit for making a great TV ad about it though.

Game is written off from this consumer, hopefully Other companies out there will start making RPGs along the lines of KotOR or JE style so I dont have to wait so long for good RPGs in the future.

I am renting it and only suggest it as a rental. What gamespy says is true but the targeting is hard to get use to and the powers are some times hard to use. I do like the way the make it a blend of a game and movie though.

I have recently finished the game and have had a change of heart. This is a very good game but not a great one. I believe I spoke to soon about the "flick" targeting because in this sort time I have grown to like it. There are problems with it but it is not a terrible game. I suggest waiting to buy it till the price drops and hope and pray the next one is better. Also now that I have finished and look back on the game's very first cinematic and lvl I can see where they where going and what they were shooting for. It is a shame they missed because if they hit it would have truly been great. I think if they improve the next game and subsequent third it is going to turn out to be a great trilogy that I will be looking forward to playing.

And nope, I dont rent rent games (only buy the ones I really want) so its written off for me. When designers fail to build my interest in their own game, thats a bad sign from the get go. I usually dont put much stock in reviews (as they are either so bias or bought and paid for) but gotta admit gamespots review seemed to cover the game pretty well (for a change).

Why wouldnt you rent games? It's always better to find out things first hand and for the minuscule ammount it costs seems like a bargain.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Why wouldnt you rent games? It's always better to find out things first hand and for the minuscule ammount it costs seems like a bargain.

Just dont like renting (im terrible about late fees and such).

So I go by the code "either im buying it or im not".

Also, 99.99% of the time I know if I want a game or not. This game just fell into that .01% margin because of the TV ad. Prior to the TV ad I had no interest what so ever in it.

Just personal choice is all. We all have our own little personality quirks.

heh, also only places to rent around here are Blockbuster and Rogers video. I stopped supporting Blockbuster 3 years ago when I was overcharged for movie returns (actually got them back on time for a change and works left them in drop box till next morning causeing me a 5 one day late charges and wouldnt erase the charges). As for Rogers, I refuse to rent anything from them until they lower my cable bill (I currently pay $36.00/month more for the exact same services a friend has from a different cable company with no option to change companies because of them having a monopoly! They get enough of my money as it is!)

Honestly, I don't trust many game reviews. I've seen really good games get panned or passed over while 10 titles in a row got reviews of 9.9 and best game EVAR!!! on sites like GameSpy and IGN.

However, I read the first two pages of this thread and hadn't seen any reviews for the game yet.

For what it's worth, most reviews I saw said KOTOR:2 was inferior to KOTOR:1, and I completely disagree on that.

Honestly, I don't trust many game reviews.  I've seen really good games get panned or passed over while 10 titles in a row got reviews of 9.9 and best game EVAR!!! on sites like GameSpy and IGN.

However, I read the first two pages of this thread and hadn't seen any reviews for the game yet.

For what it's worth, most reviews I saw said KOTOR:2 was inferior to KOTOR:1, and I completely disagree on that.

Gamespot reviewed it average IIRC. Most of the community were harsher than that and even went so far as to say it was 'broken'.

The main complaints IIRC, was that the story is unoriginal, and basically a ripoff of everything, even Halo. The game is somewhat hard early, after you get psi powers, it's way too easy. The AI for your enemies is AWFUL, and it's got this annoying auto-tracker for combat that makes the camera automatically snap and lock onto an enemy if you get close to them. Honestly, I'm wondering if it's all that bad too, but the PC version isn't out yet, and I don't have an Xbox (just the Cube).