• Deus Ex
    • Serious Sam
    • Thief series
    • Unreal series
    • Quake series
    • Rainbow Six series
    • Other...

Missing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on that list. >.<

Best console first person shooters by far, Halo doesn't even come close. :)

Yeah...tho they're not as famous as the PC ones :D ...Perfect Dark is still great...tho I can't get used to gamepad controls :">

If count the whole package, Deus Ex and System Shock 1&2 destroy all other games in the genre. But if you go down the core of FPS, the combat, there's only one game out there really: Halo.

I still remember playing it on the xbox back 2001, there was simply nothing like it in terms of A.I., vehicles and graphics.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If count the whole package, Deus Ex and System Shock 1&2 destroy all other games in the genre. But if you go down the core of FPS, the combat, there's only one game out there really: Halo.

I still remember playing it on the xbox back 2001, there was simply nothing like it in terms of A.I., vehicles and graphics.

Plus it gave us Red Vs Blue!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I enjoyed RTCW and NOLF2 a lot. The only problem with these two games was the discontinuity between missions. The "return-home"s gave the player too much of a psychological "breather", which sort of ruins the immersiveness.

Angshuman

I enjoyed RTCW and NOLF2 a lot. The only problem with these two games was the discontinuity between missions. The "return-home"s gave the player too much of a psychological "breather", which sort of ruins the immersiveness.

Angshuman

Well, since it's a bit of a parody on James Bond and all of those spy movies back then, the gadget-tinkering back in the base is a given.

Haha, I'd hardly say that the thief games are firstperson shooters. In fact, on most missions you FAIL if you kill anyone.

I just replayed Deus Ex again, this week. Great game -- one of the best ever. I would regard it as an RPG, as you level up (in a basic way, skills are added based on "Skill Points" achieved for plot movement). It's a pity that Deus Ex: Invisible War didn't continue this ... it really is just a dumbed down FPS. (Though I have to admit it's not as bad as I first thought, though it is definitely not in the same league as the first.)

Half-Life (the series) has to be it for me. That physics engine is radical.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Where's my Far Cry?!

It ran like crap on my PC :)

Well, that's because your PC is crap, Baley.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Mace Griffon is still my favourite. Some of the timers can be on the frustrating side but it's got some variety to the gameplay. The combat shotgun is brilliant too , load with 1 to 4 shells and fire them all off at once.

Had fun with HaloII liked the way that the vehicles were intergrated in so well. Jumping off a ghost bike onto a tank and dropping a grenade in the hatch in a relatively seamless motion added a lot of "reality".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

My favorite series is Doom, but that's largely because of nostalgia. The two Half Life games are the best crafted of the genre, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Ive had the chance o play Hl2 full version. The story is nice but everything else is just average, I like FarCry better for pure mindless gaming.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Great. Perhaps you can tell me what the story is about?

And no, "running, shooting and listening to NPC ramblings" doesn't qualify as a story.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well I love Serious Sam and Painkiller for the same reason :thumbsup:

So I voted for Deus Ex (tho I view it more as an RPG) ...great story...great characters..good grapghics..everything I'd ever want :)

And no, "running, shooting and listening to NPC ramblings" doesn't qualify as a story.

Sure. Its about these things, yeah? that are like hats but kinda not. Anyway, so they like can move and like put themselves on top of peoples heads, which like make them go all weird and stuff. These also this old geezer and some bloke in a dodgy lookin spacesuit and everyone's a doctor

I was talkin about half-life 2, you twit.

Oh, and I nearly fogot.. they keep yappin about this guy "Friedman" but I dont think he's in the game. Atleast I havent seen him.

:"> Oh..I haven't sleapt in over 20 hours so my mind isn't working right :"> ...I thought it sounded strange for Far Cry :thumbsup:

All apologies :)

So back to my question has anyone used that thingie to play Far Cry in 3rd person :D ?

Did you play Half-Life?

A lot of the sequel is playing on the in-joke that Gordon doesn't talk and everyone looks to him for answers, when you are just as clueless (and moreso, in fact) than everyone else.

It's funny you thought Half-Life 2 had little story, yet you have defended KotOR2 until your fingers bled over your keyboard... :thumbsup:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So back to my question has anyone used that thingie to play Far Cry in 3rd person :D ?

Yes.

Did you play Half-Life?

A lot of the sequel is playing on the in-joke that Gordon doesn't talk and everyone looks to him for answers, when you are just as clueless (and moreso, in fact) than everyone else.

It's funny you thought Half-Life 2 had little story, yet you have defended KotOR2 until your fingers bled over your keyboard...  :thumbsup:"

Yes, unfortunately I bought and played HL2 to the bitter end.

Note that I'm not attacking the setting, the atmosphere, or even the NPCs. Those were fine, better than in most FPSs I have played. I just don't see where the story on HL2 is. You spend the whole game running for your life (for unexplained reasons, too), except for the final part of the game. You don't have clear motivations for what you do other than "run, or the [insert nasty thing here] will shred you". That's not a story. That's map roaming.

But perhaps I'm wrong and the game does have a story. If so, I totally missed it. Please be so kind to tell me what the hell it was about.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.