Volourn's Jade Empire Early Review

Volourn

I observed it at my xboxed friend's home. I wasn't impressed much. Good action game, but beneath most CRPGs.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

"Well, it's "sort of" an RPG."

How can anyone claim that KOTOR or BG are role-playing games then claim that JE sin't. Outside of the full RT combat; it offers most everything a RPG had. WOWSERS!

"Where's your boo. Boooo."

He's dead.

"And JE is not an RPG. It is semi-RPG for console with just few elements of a traditional CRPG. Like ROTS video game No comparison to KOTOR or NWN."

Really? What makes KOTOR a RPG; but not JE? And, don't say KOTOR's tb combat. The only thing that KOTOR does better than JE role-playing wise are the non colbat skills, and even then JE can brag about 3 different dialogue skills. JE has better role-playing choices and the 'Open Palm' vs. 'Closed Fist is done much better than 'Dark Side' vs. 'Light Side'. And, the story and characteers are about equal.

If KOTOR is a RPG then JE better be.

KOTOR, while good, is sooo overrated. JE is way better in it as a RPG and a combat game in almost evry way that matters. of course, it's not SW so it gets poo pooed.

LOL

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well for starters I never cared much for a fight. Plot is most important and TSL simply owns JE in that aspect (even with cut storyline hehe). If I want to have a good fight I'd run a ROTS game or Jedi Outcast that are superior in that matter and have as crude RPG options as JE.

KOTOR story is primitive I agree, but it has a climate we haven't witnessed since 1977. JE empire lacks that climate, or am I addicted to star wars geekery?

Who cares about stupid hi-yaaa! brawlers? I not

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

"I addicted to star wars geekery?"

That's the problem right there. You are a SW fanboy. Nothingw rong with that, btw. Just sayin'. i like both KOTOR stories; but JE's is just as good. I wouldn't say better; but just as good.

It's the Palm/Fist and the combat that makes me like JE more than either KOTOR. I'd rate the KOTORs in the early 80s (both of 'em) and JE likely in the mid to high 80s. Maybe 90s depending what occurs later on.

"Well for starters I never cared much for a fight."

Heh, I don't look for games with figthing. It's not normally my number one issue. that said, if games are gonna ahve lots of figthing like in the KOTORs and JE; the combat should try to be fun and challenging - JE does that; the KOTORs don't.

Like I said, it might even end up better than BG1!!!

Like I said, it might even end up better than BG1!!!

NEVER!!!!

Rest sounds kinda-reasonable.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

All I care about is whether a game is fun to play and keeps me going back to play more.

JE looks like it has that possibility, so I'm interested...but it doesn't mean that possibility will pan out if I ever do get to play it. I'm willing to try it tho.

From the reviews and player-comments I've read tho, the type of game-genre it reminds me of might be something more like...oh...say...something like System Shock, rather than a RPG.

Not saying it plays like System Shock, mind you, hard to compare w/such different worlds.

But SS had some elements that tried to give the player a bit of choice that was in some ways like a RPG but it's soul was still action. Still, that doesn't mean games like that are bad.

Honestly,IMO, the whole 'what is a RPG' definition has been going 'downhill' for years, as each generation grows up on more and more watered down short-attention-span video game versions of RPG'ing. No offense to anyone intended...many are very fun and I love a lot of them. Just saying...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wow! You remember System Schock! A next veteran on the boards! :p

I remember that I almost screwed up my college exams in 1995 becouse of SS...

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

From comments I read this game looks more and more a Standart BioWare Mainstream Roleplaying Game.

I am not afraid to say that Jade Empire did not had some influence over I buying a Xbox last year but still I was not that interessed on it back then and so far reviews I read made me more inclined to get DoA U then this.

drakron.png

From comments I read this game looks more and more a Standart BioWare Mainstream Roleplaying Game.

I am not afraid to say that Jade Empire did not had some influence over I buying a Xbox last year but still I was not that interessed on it back then and so far reviews I read made me more inclined to get DoA U then this.

Even if Jade Empire turns out not to be my cup of tea, there will always be Spiderman 2 and Munch's Oddysee. I'm still rather pissed at MS for neglecting to give a PC port for that Oddworld title like there were for all the others. :( And the PC version of Spiderman 2...well, it wasn't even the same game.

Wow! You remember System Schock! A next veteran on the boards! :thumbsup:

Christ, is it getting so bad that you are considered ancient if you played and remember System Shock? Well the loss is on those people then I guess since they missed out one of the greatest games in history.

Christ, is it getting so bad that you are considered ancient if you played and remember System Shock?

Yep, I was thinking the same. System Shock isn't that old. Feels like yesterday when I played it. Now, if I would mention the old Commodore 64 game "Master of Magic" from 1985 and got that reaction I wouldn't be surprised, but System Shock ...

So who remembers Riddle of Master Lu...

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Wow! You remember System Schock! A next veteran on the boards! :)

Christ, is it getting so bad that you are considered ancient if you played and remember System Shock? Well the loss is on those people then I guess since they missed out one of the greatest games in history.

Haha, yeah... at least they've successfully made me FEEL ancient.

btw, is that Crusader: No regret, No remorse you've got on your portrait? Have you checked out http://ra2083.com/ ? Seems like Crusader but with some RPG elements. (actually, there was some RPG elements in Crusader, wasn't there?)

Anyway, I'm happy to see that there are games that you like, Volourn. Hehe. I'd give Jade Empire a shot, if I had an Xbox. Haven't followed it that much since I don't.

"Anyway, I'm happy to see that there are games that you like, Volourn."

Hey, I like LOTS of games! And, most of them aren't BIo ones, even! :shifty:"

"Anyway, I'm happy to see that there are games that you like, Volourn."

Hey, I like LOTS of games! And, most of them aren't BIo ones, even! :huh:"

Actually, that quote would have been more apt if you replaced "Volourn" with "Drakron".

Maybe I've missed it, but he seems to have nothing but negative comments for every game that's been mentioned on this forum. >_<

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Wow...I just completed the quest

choosing to convince the orphan master to bury the bones of the ophan children spirits

, and all I can say is "wow". The cutscene, the music, the facial emoting was simply breathtaking - and all this just for a optional sidequest which you could easily miss

by closing the dam before revisting Tien's Landing

?!? This is called taking your time and not rushing a game. This is called polish. This is called KotOR II pwnage. :cool:

manthing2.jpg