no more forum closure :)

tought to edit the post as there is a new announcment that clearly states that the forum will not be closed :ninja:

cheer for Obsidian :-

I just noticed that the announcment of possible forum closure "disappeared"

does it mean that Obsidian decided to keep it open?  (w00t)

i looked a bit in the first pages but didn't saw anything about it

:D :D

Thank you Obsidian!!!

We promise that we'll behave (crosses finger behind his back :) )

Kidding aside it is good news.

Only an announcement for K3 will be on par with this.

OBSIDIAN FORUM COMMUNITY RULEZ :-

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Well, we'll have to see about those... and in a lot of ways, I'd rather see Obsidian announce they're working on a game in their very own setting, so they don't have strange publishers who come along with a library of weird self-contradictory backstory and their own peculiar ideas about what fits with the setting to deal with... ;)

*cough* Only joking... Kinda... :)"

Well, we'll have to see about those...  and in a lot of ways, I'd rather see Obsidian announce they're working on a game in their very own setting, so they don't have strange publishers who come along with a library of weird self-contradictory backstory and their own peculiar ideas about what fits with the setting to deal with...  ;)

*cough*  Only joking...  Kinda...  :)"

Whether or not you were joking, I pretty much agree with that statement. I know this is a controversial opinion, but having played pen and paper (D6) Star Wars as well as the KotOR games, some Galaxies, and various other Star Wars games, I really am of the opinion that Star Wars isn't a very good RPG setting. Why? Because it wasn't made as an RPG setting! It's a space opera, not a viable roleplaying gameworld. As a consequence the two KotOR games have been Space Operas in their own right, and they've done a good job of it, but I'd prefer if I were playing games by a great developer, who writes amazing dialogue and backstories, but who was writing with a fully developed or wholly original RPG gameworld as the basis for that expression of creative energy, rather than being subject to the oversimplistic "good versus evil" premises of the Star Wars franchise, lent such credibility and complexity as Obsidian's writers can artificially superimpose onto an otherwise all-too-generic backdrop.

I'd rather see the story of Kotor completed before such a venture.

Besides, that oversimplistic good/evil principle is apparent in most RPGS, especially those based on D&D. "Lawful good", "Neutral good" etc.

Now that you mention it, I have to agree, I'd like to see the KotOR series ended well, in a fulfilling way, in a final episode.

But that being put aside, I do consider the division of good and lawfulness, evil and chaotic behaviour, along two separate axes to be a huge improvement over their relegation to a single axis of good and evil, as in Star Wars, under the compulsion of the Force.

In contrast, the axis which denotes adherence to laws and rules and spans from lawful to chaotic is largely independent of the axis which denotes adherence to the (altruistic) good and (sociopathic) evil in D&D, and that crucial separation of "good" from merely "litigious," as well as "evil" from merely "prone to breaking rules" makes all the difference in the world.

Our favourite characters tend to be the Chaotic Good ones (e.g., the cowboy, the vigilante, the mercenary, the thief with a heart of gold), it seems to me, and the whole point of the doctrine of the Force is that the Chaotic and the Good cannot coexist. That's a big problem. Notably, it seems to have been the problem which both KotOR games were focused on, so in that sense, they turned a problem into a possibility, but I wish that plot ideas didn't need to always proceed from the alignment system's being fundamentally broken in the first place.

d&d alignment notions is silly oversimplifications that do nothing good for games... not need alignment in d&d games, and such things clearly hinder non-d&d games.

unfortunately, star wars, has the light v. dark thing woven into the fabric of its universe... and we doubt lucas would allow developers to just chuck his childish and oversimplified polarity in favor of something more... mature.

as much as we dislike the light v. dark aspect of star wars, we recognize that all star wars games will have it. we accept it and simply hope that a developer will do the best they can with something we ain't a fan of...

is kinda like when keanu reeves is in a movie. keanu reeves is, in our estimation, a really bad actor. nevertheless, just 'cause keanu reeves is in a movie it does not necessarily follow that we will hate the movie.

just 'cause a developer gets stuck with star wars light v. dark it does not follow that the game is doomed or crippled... gotta work with what you got.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bah, they rock because their game rocks. KotorII is fantastic. When the content patch arrives, it will be legendary. You'll see!:huh:

I agree.

What is the patch supposed to do btw??

I have k2 for xbox so it doesnt involve me but I'm curious. It wouldn't make any reason to buy it for pc would it?

Don't quote me on it (I can't find the thread where it was said anymore), but it came across as a "fix-pack", not additional content. If I should guess, I would say some hardware/driver specific tweaks for the hardware/driver challenged and probably some script/trigger fixes (I cross my fingers and hope for the latter, since I haven't had any of the "technical" issues)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein