Video Card Temps ATI users

I noticed a bunch of disturbing reports about this game. One report was on Gamefaqs forums. Someone mentioned that their card was overheating to the high 80's while playing this game.(800XT) Two more were from the 9100 boards over at notebook forums.(MR9800 256mb) They were both around 77 C. My best friend's 9800 Pro was reporting heat temps around 85 C. All of these reports state the same thing that basically this was their only game where temps go up that high. All say they have plenty of cooling solutions running. Vent/fans/etc

What temperatures are you people getting on your ATI cards. List type of card and your temp.Is this a potential problem?

I haven't managed to test it myself since I can't get past the character creation screen. haha.

i'm having the temperature skyrocketing issue as well. after reading this thread, i scoured the net and found a frighteng amount of ati users have the same problem.

installed fine, game starts up fine, but by the time i get about 1/2 way through character creation, my system temp is dangerously high.. 71C.. thank goodness i have tools monitoring/safeguarding these things. my normal operating temp is about 38C.

i have a radeon 9000 pro with 5.1 drivers. i tried everything from 4.11 to 5.12 to resolve this issue.

no other issues in anything else.

:blink:

:ph34r:

thank goodness i have this on the xbox as well.

How exactly are people checking these temperatures? I'm assuming you're all talking internal, here, coz even 60 C would be damn hot to the touch.

On my wrist rest (notebook) I can feel it's getting warm, sure... but I've no idea how warm. And it's like that with everything else.. though maybe gets there a little quicker on kotor2.

128MB Radeon 9700 M

haha sorry, i refuse to pay for a new video card to make one single game playable. not when every other game runs smooth as butter, not this early in the 'patch waiting game.' not worth it. to each their own. :)

a great free proggy to monitor motherboard, cpu, case, pci and agp slot temperatures is called 'motherboard monitor.'

motherboard monitor dl page

Motherboad Monitor is a great tool, but it takes practice to set it up properly. Someone just wanting to check their video card temps can open the Catalyst Control Center or download ATITool or RivaTuner.

Keep in mind that only later ATI cards such as the X300/X600/X700/X800 line and the 9600XT/9800XT generation with the XT suffix have temperature monitoring.

The issues I had with KotORII was of a most severe nature. This game actually fried my brand new ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum card despite the excellent cooling I had. So yes, the engine certainly does have some big flaws. Especially seeing how my old Radeon 9800 Pro was fried so long ago by the first KotOR. A pure coincidence that both cards were fried when playing KotOR and its sequal? I think not. Oh, and I also had that horrid slowdown in Dantooine. I could barely move my character at all. I really wish they'd just fire whoever did the QA for this title.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

The issues I had with KotORII was of a most severe nature. This game actually fried my brand new ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum card despite the excellent cooling I had. So yes, the engine certainly does have some big flaws. Especially seeing how my old Radeon 9800 Pro was fried so long ago by the first KotOR. A pure coincidence that both cards were fried when playing KotOR and its sequal? I think not. Oh, and I also had that horrid slowdown in Dantooine. I could barely move my character at all. I really wish they'd just fire whoever did the QA for this title.

I find it hard to believe that that's the fault of the game.... A game, no matter how complex is not responsible for overheating a card.... This sounds more like faulty drivers or something like that.... especially since my 9800 Pro is performing like a dream in thes game (KotOR2)... I didn't have a single slowdown, so that rules the game engine out....

I find it hard to believe that that's the fault of the game.... A game, no matter how complex is not responsible for overheating a card.... This sounds more like faulty drivers or something like that.... especially since my 9800 Pro is performing like a dream in thes game (KotOR2)... I didn't have a single slowdown, so that rules the game engine out....

How can KotOR 2 fry an X800 XT Platinum Edition? Doom 3 or HalfLife 2 I can understand but KotOR 2 is nowhere as near as graphics intensive as those games and the game certainly doesn't need to use such a powerful card to such an extent that it will cause overheating.

That's the main reason I purchased a 6800 Ultra - The BIG fan allows for tremendous overclocking and dissipates A LOT of heat.

That was my belief at first as well. However, after playing Half-Life 2, Doom 3, BFME and pretty much every new graphically advanced game perfectly on my old 9800 Pro without any overheating issues whatsoever. So, I find it quite odd that both the old and new cards got fried whilst playing KotOR and it's sequal. It's a bit too much for me to just take as a mere coincidence, as I'm also very careful with which drivers I use (As any ATI user should be), and I know that my rig has more than enough cooling to handle the most graphically advanced game.

On top of all this, I've heard of quite a lot of people other than me who has had their hardware permanently damaged while playing KotOR. On the other hand, there are plenty of ATI users seems to run the game just perfectly fine so I'm not sure where the real issue lies, but it's obviously related to the game.

How can KotOR 2 fry an X800 XT Platinum Edition? Doom 3 or HalfLife 2 I can understand but KotOR 2 is nowhere as near as graphics intensive as those games and the game certainly doesn't need to use such a powerful card to such an extent that it will cause overheating.

I have no idea. Frankly, I was pretty damn surprised when I started to hear my otherwise so quiet rig starting to wheeze in the middle of a gaming session. Especially when KotORII had ran perfectly fine the other day. Next, I encountered the flickering textures, and an all too familiar feeling came over me. However, this just shouldn't happen. I've ran Doom 3, HL2, and so on PERFECTLY FINE when I even had inferior cooling. It just does not make sense, but I can't deny the fact that KotOR has always been the obvious cause of these problems. Why? You tell me.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

That was my belief at first as well. However, after playing Half-Life 2, Doom 3, BFME and pretty much every new graphically advanced game perfectly on my old 9800 Pro without any overheating issues whatsoever. So, I find it quite odd that both the old and new cards got fried whilst playing KotOR and it's sequal. It's a bit too much for me to just take as a mere coincidence, as I'm also very careful with which drivers I use (As any ATI user should be), and I know that my rig has more than enough cooling to handle the most graphically advanced game.

On top of all this, I've heard of quite a lot of people other than me who has had their hardware permanently damaged while playing KotOR. On the other hand, there are plenty of ATI users seems to run the game just perfectly fine so I'm not sure where the real issue lies, but it's obviously related to the game.

In the nVidia control panel there is an option to turn the graphics card on or off. I'm assuming that there is something like this in the catalyst control center. Maybe KotOR 2 causes some driver conflicts and your fan fails to operate or something. Also, your computer could be misreporting your temperatures. At one time, my 6800 Ultra card said it was idling at 73C but when I reloaded a game and closed it, the temperature dropped to 40C Idle.

Bazooka, which drivers you running? Thinkin' my RM9700 shouldn't be far off your performance, all other things bein equal, but by the sounds of things it is.

Also.. anyone got cooling advice for a laptop user? All this talk of overheating's making me paranoid. Pretty sure I'm stuffed though.... bloody laptops.

Wow. KotOR2 set off the alarm on my computer (I have this really loud alarm system that goes off if it reaches 80 degrees Celsius) but I never thought it could be the game causing it. It has only happened once for me though.

Weird. I thought my computer was dying and it might just be KotOR2 stressing the system.. Good news! :geek:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I use Omega 4.11 betas. Fresh windows and driver install. I don't really have any problems running newer games. I can play games like Pacific Assault, Doom 3, Half Life 2, far cry, etc on 1024 X 768 resolutions with settings ranging from medium to high. Most games average 45-55 frames per second. Farcry and PA I have to use shader 1.0 though or it starts to chug in heavy fighting. I don't mess with AA/AF to much. At most I'll put a game at 2x/4x if that. KOTOR 1 I could run with max AA/AF. The only game I can't get to run very well is Vampire MAsquerade Bloodlines. The game chugs at hubs and when it rains. =/

My system

3.2 P4 Prescot

1 gig ddr

MR 9700 128 mb

I use Omega 4.11 betas. Fresh windows and driver install. I don't really have any problems running newer games. I can play games like Pacific Assault, Doom 3, Half Life 2, far cry, etc on 1024 X 768 resolutions with settings ranging from medium to high. Most games average 45-55 frames per second. Farcry and PA I have to use shader 1.0 though or it starts to chug in heavy fighting. I don't mess with AA/AF to much. At most I'll put a game at 2x/4x if that. KOTOR 1 I could run with max AA/AF.  The only game I can't get to run very well is Vampire MAsquerade Bloodlines. The game chugs at hubs and when it rains. =/

My system

3.2 P4 Prescot

1 gig ddr

MR 9700 128 mb

What settings/drivers did you have on Half-Life 2? I was never really sure if it was running well or not. Nothing major, just didn't know if my machine was struggling. May be difference in RAM... I only got 512MB, though shouldn't matter too much, nothing realistically needs a gig yet.

Bazooka, which drivers you running? Thinkin' my RM9700 shouldn't be far off your performance, all other things bein equal, but by the sounds of things it is.

Also.. anyone got cooling advice for a laptop user? All this talk of overheating's making me paranoid. Pretty sure I'm stuffed though.... bloody laptops.

I use 4.11 drivers, and still haven't encountered any graphical bug or whatsoever..

I have visited the following planets (spoiler):

Peragus, Telos, Dantooine, Nar shaddaa, Dxun and Onderon

, and no errors or bugs or crazy temperatures at all...