The Greatest American

B5C

Whats yours? :lol:

Batman :ph34r:

Batman, what about the Green Lantern? As far as I know it, Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner are the only two "Earthlings" to be in the Lantern corps muchless americans. Ya so Hal killed millions, but he was a pretty good guy up till then, and who among us hasn't decended into madness a couple of times. Well I guess that would kind of disqualify you then. Who was that other guy? Norman Borlaug? He should win, I guess.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

John Stewart from the Daily Show? No he was never in the Latern Corp

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

What about John Stewart?  He was a member of the corps, wasn't he?

IMO he was the boring one. Kyle Raynor is my fave green lantern, but most people prefer Hal Jordan.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was being ironic in reference to the history of the US. The mere idea of restricting history to a region, instead of mankind is absurd.

Nationalism is absurd. Why should it make any difference to the greatness of anyone in which region he is born?

Alternatively, why should any 'American' feel proud of what someone in his country has achieved more than a man is proud of what another man has achieved? Why should we limit our pride, our feelings of valor to a region or historical period.

I suggest changing the purpose of this thread to discussing the greatest (wo)man ever in existance.

----

Anti-asylum? Come on. Our current asylum system is being abused by thousands. Fortuyn had some decent thoughts, I believe, but he lacked any reason to execute them.

Mr U

I suggest changing the purpose of this thread to discussing the greatest (wo)man ever in existance.

Well, there is a good chance I already named him, but the purpose of this thread is to pick people for a contest that is running.

Alternatively, why should any 'American' feel proud of what someone in his country has achieved more than a man is proud of what another man has achieved? Why should we limit our pride, our feelings of valor to a region or historical period.

Simple, for whatever reason, we automatically feel that pride. Call it pack instinct, call it meme or gene's, it's there.

Is it smart or does it even make sense? Maybe not. But on the flip side, this man was able to accomplish what he did because of how this country is set up and run, because of the values that were taught to him. Maybe his accomplishments don't happen if he is born in another country.

So, I suppose the pride that comes about is almost a sense of confirmation for the country you live in.

^ all though you nomination was very good .. I think that "the worlds greatest" will go to someone else .. even though he saved millions, there are some pretty huge achievements to compete with on a world-wide scale ..

I meanAlexander Fleming's penicillin have saved it's share of millions as well!!

Fortune favors the bald.

First, as I said, penicillin was a fluke. I think that has to be figured into this arguement. It's not like the guy was trying to make it.

Second, Norman didn't save millions. He saved HUNDREDS of millions. If not a Billion +. This didn't come about because some fungus fell in a dish either. He did it with years of research and self sacrifice.

All of you are wrong the winner has to be Will Smith, the 20th century was know as the "American Century", but the new milennium is know as the Willennium, no one can compete with that :wacko:

First, as I said, penicillin was a fluke. I think that has to be figured into this arguement. It's not like the guy was trying to make it.

Second, Norman didn't save millions. He saved HUNDREDS of millions. If not a Billion +. This didn't come about because some fungus fell in a dish either. He did it with years of research and self sacrifice.

are you a personal friend of his? because you almost seem to be taking this personally .. While yes, your guy did a fantastic and unbelivable unselfish job, I'm just saying that there is alot of competition when looking at the entire world ..

and so what if Fleming stumbled upon it (even though he was throwing the things out he was still researching), if he hadn't, people would be dying from simple infections all day every day .. and why not thank Mendel then, who actually made Norman's work possible .. what I'm saying is, there are alot of things to take into account .. and one can't really say "this man is the greatest in the world" because what he did depended on so many others achievements before him!

Fortune favors the bald.

Greatest ever? Even though he's a foreigner, the title has to go to Superman, you putzes.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Greatest ever? Even though he's a foreigner, the title has to go to Superman, you putzes.

Dang... I wonder if fictional characters count... because I mean, sure that one guy saved hundreds of millions of people, but Superman saved the entire population of earth, several times. I believe he even saved the inhabitants of other planets as well.

Devastatorsig.jpg

are you a personal friend of his? because you almost seem to be taking this personally

We have a "working" relationship :p

actaully, seeing short clips of him on an episode of "Bull****!" (great show) is prolly the closest I'll ever come to meeting the man.

Look, if we're going to head down this road (and stick to our DC comic theme), than I think it should be made clear that Batman is by far greater than Superman. He does all these heroic things without powers. It's all about the self sacrifice here. He faces his own mortality daily too help others. You can't beat that. Especially not with an invincible small town hick that gets his jollies wearing underwear around and wearing glasses as his big disguise.

Look, if we're going to head down this road (and stick to our DC comic theme), than I think it should be made clear that Batman is by far greater than Superman. He does all these heroic things without powers. It's all about the self sacrifice here. He faces his own mortality daily too help others. You can't beat that. Especially not with an invincible small town hick that gets his jollies wearing underwear around and wearing glasses as his big disguise.

Yeah, but Batman doesn't fight superpowered enemies. Just criminals with a gimmick.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ya know, all of it's completely subjective...come's down to the individual's perception of greatness, so really...no true winner here.

Just thought I'd toss that in there....and whoever said George Bush...Good god, man. Been under a rock for the past 5 years?

The thread title says "The Greatest American", not "The Greatest Example of Failure In American Public School Systems"

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast