Project X is BG3

Logan

Maybe project X is BG3, here is why...

Interplay lost the rights to publish BG3 on the the PC, who did they lose them to? Perhaps Bioware? Who has Obsidian entered into a partnership with?

Interplay was fighting to regain these rights, why fight anymore what with BIS dead.

If Bioware gave this project to Obsidian it would be a nice way to give Interplay a big fat FU.

Too bad such a BG3 would not be jefferson -I doubt they would buy that unfinished work from Interplay.

Yes, I know -when hell freezes over. But when are we going to get another really good party based D&D cRPG? ToEE fell on it's face and probably will not inspire more Troika-Atari remakes of classic modules -too bad, such a concept had real promise.

As I understand it, Interplay had a deal with Atari and lost the PC BG rights. Therefore Atari has it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm quite certain Bioware was never close to getting it and isn't now.

Yes I think Atari has it. Of course Atari could give it to BioWare or Obsidian to develop a game with it. I would love to see that happen and Interplay be stabbed in the back. As much as I'd like to see Jefferson, Obsidian could probably do a good job with BG3 and have similar ideas if it's not the same game. But Obsidian's first game is multi platform (PC + consoles) so we know this wouldn't be it.

Holding the BG license means, like the IWD license, Interplay may produce D&D games, but only under their licensed names. They could release BG3: The Black Hound, for example, but not "The Black Hound: A Dungeons and Dragons Game". However, Interplay gave up the right to PC BG titles in a deal, therefore suspending Jefferson. They retain the console one.

Therefore, to make a BG3, Obsidian needs only a deal with Atari, not Interplay.

Yes they got a double extension to BGDA as opposed to getting a single extension for BGDA and a single extension to BG PC, thereby throwing all the money down the drain that had gone into Jefferson/The Black Hound. And people claim that Black Isle cost Interplay too much money. :rolleyes: Maybe if Interplay would actually allow Black Isle to have COMPLETED a game they would not have.

Since J has very little do with BG I wonder if a dev team could pick up the rights to J and release it as a generic D&D game. That way they wouldn't need to go about the BG license. It's almost peverse after BIS has been having BG licence trouble for so long.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

*if* the agreement with vivendi was moot and interplay gave the jefferson works to atari, they could just release it named "Monkey Rabbit Waha Boo".

*if* the agreement with vivendi was moot and interplay gave the jefferson works to atari, they could just release it named "Monkey Rabbit Waha Boo".

Dammit, you took my game title idea!

Anyway, I doubt BG3 would have had much to do with the first two. Or else it would have been kinda stupid.

It didn't, it was almost completely a new game with completely new characters. They got around the loophole of having a BG name by - just like Dark Alliance - having a setting around the city. There might have been direct, indirect or even no relation at all with the Bhaalspawn saga, and there may have been cameos of various levels from the chracters of that saga, but the story itself was almost completely, if not completely, new.

I think that's unlikely to happen where Interplay would be willing to give up its intellectual property, the Jefferson engine and content, to a different publisher. Even though Jefferson was more or less shelved and will probably never be released, aspects of it such as art or models can still show up in other projects such as BGDA3. The engine could be reused for another PC game or perhaps ported to the XBox. In short, it is not going to happen. It's one thing regarding a license to be handled by someone else but in this case it's their own IP so I doubt it would happen. I have seen cancelled project show up in future projects before. Ultima Online 2 (whatever name they gave it) is an example of that where some aspects of the game were used in an expansion pack to the original Ultima Online game.

You know what i think would be fun even tho prolly ow one else does. Obsidian release a forgotten realms game, but instead of the original party and timeframe you're based in the time where the god's walked the earth with like none of their powers. You pick which god you want to be, then pick the avatar you want to "posses" and the skills base around your god powers and your character abilities.

Say if you picked the god of thieves you could pick an elven avatar and such and be a thief subclass

If you picked Myrkul you could be a necromancer, an evil cleric or an assassin maybe.

sorry i don't know much about forgotten realms and stuff i was just making an opinion heard

It didn't, it was almost completely a new game with completely new characters. They got around the loophole of having a BG name by - just like Dark Alliance - having a setting around the city. There might have been direct, indirect or even no relation at all with the Bhaalspawn saga, and there may have been cameos of various levels from the chracters of that saga, but the story itself was almost completely, if not completely, new.

Huh? The Black Hound was not set anywhere near the city of Baldur's Gate, and (to the best of my knowledge) all cameo characters were from the Icewind Dale series...

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

You know what i think would be fun even tho prolly ow one else does. Obsidian release a forgotten realms game, but instead of the original party and timeframe you're based in the time where the god's walked the earth with like none of their powers. You pick which god you want to be, then pick the avatar you want to "posses" and the skills base around your god powers and your character abilities.

Say if you picked the god of thieves you could pick an elven avatar and such and be a thief subclass

If you picked Myrkul you could be a necromancer, an evil cleric or an assassin maybe.

sorry i don't know much about forgotten realms and stuff i was just making an opinion heard

omg munchkin

...BG3 was Sawyer's baby; I dunna thinks Unca Feargie an' the gang would wanna go that route wit' all the BS surroundin' Jefferson in the last year that theys all went through...As much as I'd like ta see Obsidian do DnD cRPGs, I dunna thinks this one'd be in the cards... :blink:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

...BG3 was Sawyer's baby; I dunna thinks Unca Feargie an' the gang would wanna go that route wit' all the BS surroundin' Jefferson in the last year that theys all went through...As much as I'd like ta see Obsidian do DnD cRPGs, I dunna thinks this one'd be in the cards... :blink:

Maybe they adopted the baby. :)

No seriously, I'm aware of the fact that there is little chance this is a mystary-engine FR crpg, but I just can't help myself. Maybe I'd be better off not thinking about Project X at all. I waited for NWN for years, and I played it for a week, before I got tired of it. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

I waited for NWN for years, and I played it for a week, before I got tired of it. I'm not gonna let that happen again.

...as did many o' us, lad...if'n NeverWorkin'Right taught me one thing, it be not ta hold me breathe awaitin' a game anymores...I's'll jus' end up passin' out o'er nuthin'... :blink:

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Please Sarge. You were bashing NWN way before the game out just as much if not more than I was cheering it on. Heck, you even tryied to claim that it proabbly wouldn't eb released. And, hey, at least I admit the game (at least the OC) wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Of course, you claimed if it was released it would fail and BIO would die (due to your love affair with BIS) yet you haven't admitted to being wrong. So, the only way you were "lookinjg forward to it" was to see your divorced parent to fail.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.