TO THE DEVS : Blunderous Game Mechanic Bug!

Lol let me guess, force crush him into submission?

Hades One i think ive just found the cause of your sometimes anti-social behaviour and pessimistic way of life...

You woke up on the wrong side of the bed.... then your bed was taken away from you... now coupled with the uncomfort of the sofa...

Dude i would pity you if i didnt enjoy some of your rants so much :D

The story in this game is so good that I'm not minding the bugs.

Are people taking the time to really get to know the characters in the game?

If all you're looking for is combat, then this game probably isn't for you.

What do you mean? Combat is a major portion of the Kotor games. There are thousands of rounds of combat per play through.

I know some prefer story over combat, but for me, an even blend of the two is desirable. To say if all Im' looking for is combat, then this game isn't for me, is like me telling you if you're looking for a good story, then read a novel instead of playing a video game.

- dr cloak

I'm finding that the game has equal amounts of intense combat and storyline -- I don't die often, but I'd be lying if I said I never lose a person in battle. There are some battles where I'll lose atleast one!

On Dantooine,

I was met by a gang of 6 to 8 heavily armored mercs, with double-bladed staffs. First thing I queued up was a Mandalorian Power shield or something similar, and they killed my Exile in 2 seconds (oops). Kreia then proceeded to make them all insane, and then fried them all using force lightning in about the same time.

This is not my imagination, this de facto, as description for KotOR II : TSL:

forceaura.jpg

forceshield.jpg

forcearmor.jpg

knightspeed.jpg

masterspeed.jpg

The defenses bonuses derived from the above Force Powers DO NOT WORK - They add NOTHING to your defense!

Sorry Obsidian, but as a KotOR vet I find this inexcusable.  <_<

How can you release a game without feasible patch support via XBox Live, claim it's been Beta tested despite containing numerous GAME MECHANIC FLAWS, and then have a clear conscience?  mad2.gif

The game was awesome regardless, just shut up.

The point of the a *game* is to have you participate in the story, and if the participation becomes too boring, then good story or not, the thing will fall flat. For something like Myst, (blech), it was in the puzzles. For an RPG it's in the combat and the role-playing. If the role-playing's good, that's good. If the combat isn't, that's pretty bad because it's the most time-consuming part of it, unless you count the running around to find people to fight. It needs to have all these things. You say it's about the story and this and that, but it's so defensive though, like it doesn't need to or shouldn't work on a technical level or provide some scalable degree of challenge I really have to wonder if you're all just exaggerating and making stuff up because we're not talking about the story in yet another suck-up or self-justification, (of what, who knows.....), attempt. You might as well wax poetic about a car's shiny new tires all day, completely ignoring the fact that the steering-wheel's broken and only turns one way.

The point of the a *game* is to have you participate in the story, and if the participation becomes too boring, then good story or not, the thing will fall flat.  For something like Myst, (blech), it was in the puzzles.  For an RPG it's in the combat and the role-playing.  If the role-playing's good, that's good.  If the combat isn't, that's pretty bad because it's the most time-consuming part of it, unless you count the running around to find people to fight.  It needs to have all these things.  You say it's about the story and this and that, but it's so defensive though, like it doesn't need to or shouldn't work on a technical level or provide some scalable degree of challenge I really have to wonder if you're all just exaggerating and making stuff up because we're not talking about the story in yet another suck-up or self-justification, (of what, who knows.....), attempt.  You might as well wax poetic about a car's shiny new tires all day, completely ignoring the fact that the steering-wheel's broken and only turns one way.

Excellent post Naso. Basically people who posted in this thread earlier on, are saying if the story is good, then everything else can be crap, but its okay, because the story is good lol. Keep telling yourself that as you sink even deeper into the bowels of denial.

- dr cloak

I need great gameplay to be involved with a story, but a great story to keep going. This one has both, and until I reach it's conclusion, I'll reserve my overall judgment. However, I can't see how any ending could phase me -- the journey has been great.

However anyone thinks the game should be, combat is just as much a part of the game as its story. Sometimes the combat can actually drive character interactions and such. And no matter what you may think of as being most important, it is a game that has many elements to it. If any single feature or aspect is found in the game, then it should be an issue if that feature is found to be broken.

Some prefer story over combat while others state that both must be preserved. I myself think that the game should largely fulfill what it is trying to be. Speaking of what makes an RPG, no doubt many would agree characterization is a part of the process. It is through combat that you determine your character's play style and skills, which in turn determines how the game progresses for the player. It may not necesarily determine your character's background, but it is an inherent part of the game. I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed the wide variety of combat in KotOR and found it just as enjoyable as the story. It was what contributed to what made the game so great. No matter what type of game it is, it is nonetheless a game and should have some playyer interaction and gameplay. The scope of this gameplay is up to the developer's vision, but whatever their vision is, it should work as it is envisioned. If the system itself is bad, then that is another matter, but it isn't, judging by the amount of KotOR fans here. Combat plays a large role in the game regardless of what is more important, as that is purely subjective. I think most would agree that whatever is in the game should work as it is intended.

The bottom line from my point of view is that a great game with some bugs does not completely reduce it to the point where it is not such a great game. However, the bugs do lessen it to some extent and hits at what the game could have been. Especially if some bugs effect gameplay in a very direct way, such as this one.

Although I'm waiting for the PC version and have very solid faith in its quality, I do believe that some of these more obvious bugs and flaws should not be in the shipped game in the first place.

This is not my imagination, this de facto, as description for KotOR II : TSL:

forceaura.jpg

forceshield.jpg

forcearmor.jpg

knightspeed.jpg

masterspeed.jpg

The defenses bonuses derived from the above Force Powers DO NOT WORK - They add NOTHING to your defense!

Sorry Obsidian, but as a KotOR vet I find this inexcusable.  <_<

How can you release a game without feasible patch support via XBox Live, claim it's been Beta tested despite containing numerous GAME MECHANIC FLAWS, and then have a clear conscience?  mad2.gif

The game was awesome regardless, just shut up.

Don't mind Jag, he's into that technical game mechanics stuff.

The point of the a *game* is to have you participate in the story, and if the participation becomes too boring, then good story or not, the thing will fall flat.  For something like Myst, (blech), it was in the puzzles.  For an RPG it's in the combat and the role-playing.  If the role-playing's good, that's good.  If the combat isn't, that's pretty bad because it's the most time-consuming part of it, unless you count the running around to find people to fight.  It needs to have all these things.  You say it's about the story and this and that, but it's so defensive though, like it doesn't need to or shouldn't work on a technical level or provide some scalable degree of challenge I really have to wonder if you're all just exaggerating and making stuff up because we're not talking about the story in yet another suck-up or self-justification, (of what, who knows.....), attempt.  You might as well wax poetic about a car's shiny new tires all day, completely ignoring the fact that the steering-wheel's broken and only turns one way.

Excellent post Naso. Basically people who posted in this thread earlier on, are saying if the story is good, then everything else can be crap, but its okay, because the story is good lol. Keep telling yourself that as you sink even deeper into the bowels of denial.

- dr cloak

Ok :cool: