In Defense of Darth Nihilus

I don't think anyone will disagree that Darth Nihilus was vert unnerving and menacing.  Sadly though, Mr. "Destroyer of entire Worlds but don't hit me twice with a lightsaber" had to die like a punk.  :)

I just got done fighting Vrook on difficult as I always play the KOTOR series and I sighed... that was a real battle.

So was the entrance to the Sith Temple on Dxun. So was the 3 droids on top of Telos' polar mesa. The 5 Handmaidens were not a cakewalk either. That's it. Why couldn't we get more fights like those?

I don't think anyone will disagree that Darth Nihilus was vert unnerving and menacing.  Sadly though, Mr. "Destroyer of entire Worlds but don't hit me twice with a lightsaber" had to die like a punk.  :(

I just got done fighting Vrook on difficult as I always play the KOTOR series and I sighed... that was a real battle.

So was the entrance to the Sith Temple on Dxun. So was the 3 droids on top of Telos' polar mesa. The 5 Handmaidens were not a cakewalk either. That's it. Why couldn't we get more fights like those?

Yes....those were good fights. :cool:

Too bad, they were the only good fights. <_<

manthing2.jpg

But we got to know more about Darth Maul than Nihilus. Maul was a Zabrak, he DID speak in the movie a bit (and it was in English/Basic) and we got to know his reasons for being there.

Nihilus? No one knows what specie he is, no one knows what language he speaks, no one knows where he is from. We know what he wants, and his name. We don't even know if he is some sort of war veteran. All he did was leave us confused with a quick death at that too.

And I see the attempts to "balance" KOTOR 1 with KOTOR 2 by bashing KOTOR 1 as well, after all this time. Face it, KOTOR 1 was a bit better, and that's it.

Don't think I hate KOTOR 2, I love it. I will replay it atleast two-three times.

But we got to know more about Darth Maul than Nihilus. Maul was a Zabrak, he DID speak in the movie a bit (and it was in English/Basic) and we got to know his reasons for being there.

Nihilus? No one knows what specie he is, no one knows what language he speaks, no one knows where he is from. We know what he wants, and his name. We don't even know if he is some sort of war veteran. All he did was leave us confused with a quick death at that too.

And I see the attempts to "balance" KOTOR 1 with KOTOR 2 by bashing KOTOR 1 as well, after all this time. Face it, KOTOR 1 was a bit better, and that's it.

Don't think I hate KOTOR 2, I love it. I will replay it atleast two-three times.

No, you're wrong. Just from the movie, we don't know more about Maul than Nihilis. All you learn about Maul in the movie is that he's a Sith, he's sick with a lightsaber, Sidious is his master and he wants to kill Jedi. We know just as much info on Nihilis. He's a Sith, he's been killing the Jedi, he feeds off of force users and life in general, we also know that he was "just a man, nothing more" etc. It really is funny to me that someone would use Maul as an example to criticize Nihilis since all the criticisms leveled at Nihilis were once leveled at Maul: we don't know enough about him, why does he die so early, he was really cool and intimidating but not enough background, yadda yadda yadda. And the answer is the same in both cases: the details left out are inconsequential to the story. They really are very similar.

And the answer is the same in both cases: the details left out are inconsequential to the story. They really are very similar.

Inconsequential to the story? Speak for yourself. Had Lucas given us more character interaction with Maul, it would have greatly improved episode 1 for a lot of people. Had Obsidian given us more character interaction, story, or plain information about Nihilus it would have greatly improved the gaming experience for many people.

Just because YOU think these characters are unimportant to the story as told, doesn't mean the inclusion of them wouldn't have made a difference. Had Darth Vader never been revealed as Luke's father, it would have been inconsequential to the story, because... take a guess where I'm going with this...

WE WOULD NEVER HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT, SO NOBODY WOULD HAVE CARED. But, it was revealed, it was cool that Vader was his father, rather than just his fathers killer, but it wouldn't have meant squat if we continued watching episode 6 thinking he was just his fathers killer. So please, don't attempt to sit there and tell people that the omission of information about Nihilus, Maul, or any character for that reason doesn't effect the story or enjoyment of the game.

And the answer is the same in both cases: the details left out are inconsequential to the story. They really are very similar.

Inconsequential to the story? Speak for yourself. Had Lucas given us more character interaction with Maul, it would have greatly improved episode 1 for a lot of people. Had Obsidian given us more character interaction, story, or plain information about Nihilus it would have greatly improved the gaming experience for many people.

Just because YOU think these characters are unimportant to the story as told, doesn't mean the inclusion of them wouldn't have made a difference. Had Darth Vader never been revealed as Luke's father, it would have been inconsequential to the story, because... take a guess where I'm going with this...

WE WOULD NEVER HAVE KNOWN ABOUT IT, SO NOBODY WOULD HAVE CARED. But, it was revealed, it was cool that Vader was his father, rather than just his fathers killer, but it wouldn't have meant squat if we continued watching episode 6 thinking he was just his fathers killer. So please, don't attempt to sit there and tell people that the omission of information about Nihilus, Maul, or any character for that reason doesn't effect the story or enjoyment of the game.

You seem to be completely missing my point... let me try to explain. When an artist, especially a skilled one, creates something, its up them to decide what is important to their story. When someone chooses to leave out something that obviously would have won them fan support, e.g. info on Maul's character, my point is, it was probably on purpose and for a reason. My point is that Lucas left out those details because, not only are they unimportant, but they would have distracted from what he was trying to depict. Same thing in the case of the game. Everybody knows fanboys go gaga over lots of details about cool characters. That's easy money. But when Obsidian chose to leave out certain details, perhaps they knew what they were doing. Perhaps they thought about and were like... hmm... that's not really the point here.

So yes, I stand by my point. Details that are left out are often left out because they truly are distracting from what's really going on. Writers carefully choose what details to include AND what details to leave out. Just because it would have "greatly improved the story for a lot of people" doesn't mean Lucas should have done it. On the contrary, he did exactly what he should have done: focus on the parts of the details that were important for the story he was trying to tell.

If he had simply done what he was "supposed" to do then you would have had a moderately clever version of the same old crap that is done over and over again in a very large number of comic books, dime novels, and B-movies, just with better special effects. The sad thing about our society is that if he would have done that he would have gotten a whole lot of praise for it, but the fact is he would have missed the chance to be true to himself with his art.

It would have been MUCH easier to make something streamlined and commercial that all the fanboys would have loved. But I for one am glad that he chose to do something MUCH more interesting. I feel the same way about KOTOR2. I'm glad that they didn't just do what would have gotten lots of fanboy drool. They made a game that actually has the capacity to make you THINK and question your own beliefs rather than following a cookbook formula.

Nihilis is there for a reason, and so is Maul. The details revealed and even more importantly, the details that are NOT revealed, say a lot about what they're really there for. The sooner you get this, the sooner you'll appreciate the art and purpose in what they actually did.

Your criticism is a bit silly. The authors choose what details are important. Vader being Luke's father is only important because Lucas chose it to be one of the central plot elements of the story. If he had chosen to focus on something else, then it really would have been an unimportant detail. Maul's history and Nihilis' history are left out precisely because the author's did not think those details are important. Questions like "where did they come from?" are red herrings. More useful are questions like "what does the fact that we don't know Nihilis' origin tell us about their relation to the PC?"

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Mahf I see you fail in reading my post, and in comparing Maul to Nihilus.

We got to know more about Maul than Nihilus, don't even try to say otherwise, it's already obvious.

Nihilus questions: Who is he? How does he look? What specie is he? Why does barely anyone know anything about him in the game, was he not a Jedi at first? Why does he speak a weird language?

He is a Sith Lord, he looks "like a man" (lame description) no one knows what specie he could be, we have yet to know if he actually was a Jedi or not, where he came from, etc, and we still don't know what language he speaks.

Maul was a Sith Lord, apprentice to Darth Sidious, is a Zabrak, he was picked up by Sidious on his homeworld for training (not sure about that), and he spoke English/Basic.

I like Nihilus more than Maul, but it's a shame he has to look cool and die so quick, without any freaking information at all. Atleast Maul proved to be a challenge to a Jedi Master, yet a Padawan killed him, hmm... well, Consulars do lack talent with Lightsabers.

We get no straight-forward information, all we get is that he is related to Malachor in some way. What a huge disappointment not to allow us to see his face.

It may look like I hate Nihilus, but any living being with sane mind realizes that I am just so disappointed in how Nihilus turned out to be the opposite of what everybody expected him to be. I thought he was gonna be the big bad boss.

Mahf I see you fail in reading my post, and in comparing Maul to Nihilus.

We got to know more about Maul than Nihilus, don't even try to say otherwise, it's already obvious.

Nihilus questions: Who is he? How does he look? What specie is he? Why does barely anyone know anything about him in the game, was he not a Jedi at first? Why does he speak a weird language?

He is a Sith Lord, he looks "like a man" (lame description) no one knows what specie he could be, we have yet to know if he actually was a Jedi or not, where he came from, etc, and we still don't know what language he speaks.

Maul was a Sith Lord, apprentice to Darth Sidious, is a Zabrak, he was picked up by Sidious on his homeworld for training (not sure about that), and he spoke English/Basic.

I like Nihilus more than Maul, but it's a shame he has to look cool and die so quick, without any freaking information at all. Atleast Maul proved to be a challenge to a Jedi Master, yet a Padawan killed him, hmm... well, Consulars do lack talent with Lightsabers.

We get no straight-forward information, all we get is that he is related to Malachor in some way. What a huge disappointment not to allow us to see his face.

It may look like I hate Nihilus, but any living being with sane mind realizes that I am just so disappointed in how Nihilus turned out to be the opposite of what everybody expected him to be. I thought he was gonna be the big bad boss.

I do understand your disappointment, I'm just saying its misdirected. If you start asking the right questions you will no longer be disappointed.

In the MOVIES it is never made clear where Darth Maul was from. All we know is pretty much what we can tell by looking at him. From the dialogue we gather that Sidious is his master and that he hates Jedi (duh!) We know he's a Zabrak because we can see him. I think its safe to say that Nihilis is human and was a Jedi who was at Malachor V and then the academy there along with Traya and Sion. The story pretty much makes that clear. So I stand by the fact that Nihilis and Maul (just in the movies) both have plenty of details conspicuously left out.

The fact that Nihilis is easy I chalk up to balance issues. Ahh well.

And to be fair, Obi Wan did not outsaber Maul. When he was fighting the two of them, he held off Obi Wan without even looking at him. Then at the end Maul had him beat, he was just too ****y.

All of the Sith Lord names are given to symbolize something of course.

Darth actually translates as "Dark" I believe in some form of Latin.

Darth Bane - meaning as the Dark RUIN - BANE = meaning as a injury, ruin, death, or a poison.

Darth Traya - meaning as the Dark BETRAYER

Darth Sion - meaning as the Dark HEIR

Darth Nihilus - meaning as the Dark DESTROYER

Darth Revan - meaning as the Dark LEADER or RESISTANT - Revanous means to be stubborn and doing something anyway, to be resistant. Revan turned his back on the Jedi Council when he ignored their warning. He went to war anyway.

Darth Malak - meaning as the Dark ANGEL - MALAK = meaning angel

Darth Sidious - meaning as Dark INSIDIOUS

Darth Maul - meaning as Dark KILLER or DESTROYER - MAUL = meaning to tear up

Darth Tyrannus - meaning as Dark TYRANT

Darth Vader - meaning as Dark FATHER or some people have referred to Vader as Dark INVADER

That is what I picked up over a few places. If you don't believe me, then don't blame me, that is what I just heard.

I also thought that Nihilus would also have a much bigger role in the game than he did. I mean his face is the biggest graphic on the cover of the game, what is with that?

Darth Bane - meaning as the Dark RUIN - BANE = meaning as a injury, ruin, death, or a poison.

Darth Revan - meaning as the Dark LEADER or RESISTANT - Revanous means to be stubborn and doing something anyway, to be resistant.  Revan turned his back on the Jedi Council when he ignored their warning.  He went to war anyway.

Darth Vader - meaning as Dark FATHER or some people have referred to Vader as Dark INVADER

That is what I picked up over a few places.  If you don't believe me, then don't blame me, that is what I just heard.

I also thought that Nihilus would also have a much bigger role in the game than he did.  I mean his face is the biggest graphic on the cover of the game, what is with that?

I dunno if this has been said before, but I found it sort of weird that Revan and Malak apparently kept their original names when they became Sith Lords and just added the title Darth, whereas every other Sith ever appears to have been given a new name instead of keeping the old one. Thoughts?

I believe that they just refer to them through their Darth names throughout the game, I don't actually believe Revan and Malak were their true names.

There's a possibility that the identity that Revan was given by the council was the actual one of himself before being a Jedi. Meaning when Bastila asks Revan of his/her origins those actually were his/her originas and the name the player gave Revan was Revan's true name.

That's how I always saw it.

Darth Revan - meaning as the Dark LEADER or RESISTANT - Revanous means to be stubborn and doing something anyway, to be resistant.  Revan turned his back on the Jedi Council when he ignored their warning.  He went to war anyway.

That is what I picked up over a few places.  If you don't believe me, then don't blame me, that is what I just heard.

I also thought that Nihilus would also have a much bigger role in the game than he did.  I mean his face is the biggest graphic on the cover of the game, what is with that?

what about Darth Bandon- or wait bandon= abandon. just a thought.

Perhaps they thought about and were like... hmm... that's not really the point here.

Nihilis is there for a reason, and so is Maul. The details revealed and even more importantly, the details that are NOT revealed, say a lot about what they're really there for. The sooner you get this, the sooner you'll appreciate the art and purpose in what they actually did.

Your criticism is a bit silly. The authors choose what details are important. Vader being Luke's father is only important because Lucas chose it to be one of the central plot elements of the story. If he had chosen to focus on something else, then it really would have been an unimportant detail. Maul's history and Nihilis' history are left out precisely because the author's did not think those details are important. Questions like "where did they come from?" are red herrings. More useful are questions like "what does the fact that we don't know Nihilis' origin tell us about their relation to the PC?"

Hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Ok, so their point was to have a character that could destroy worlds with no effort, and not tell you a thing about him except he was spawned from the carnage of Malachor V (and he can destroy WORLDS)? Wait, we could go from a different angle... His face is plastered on every KOTOR2 advertisement I've seen so far, he's on the box as well. So, one would assume that he would be central to the plot, or he would at least play a semi-large role in the game. Instead, we see a few scenes with him owning Visas and Traya, then getting jacked in a few hits from our exile. WOAH... It's called living up to the hype. Maybe Obsidian just wanted to bank on the "wow" factor of what he looked like? Maybe they were sitting there in a meeting, thinking of ways to pooch screw the gamer with plot holes and they were like:

"Hey, I got a good one, lets create a badguy, make him look REALLY cool, slap his face on every KOTOR2 ad, and then give him 4 minutes of game time! Afterall, we need to convey a message that even though we make him appear vital to the story, he's not really important."

You know, I can't really recall many games that feature an unimportant character on the box art and advertisments around the world.

So no, you didn't make your point clearer, because to me, there is nothing to make clear. They made people think Nihilus was the second coming and then totally dropped the ball. I guess that's why few people are whining about Sion, cause he wasn't all over the place during developement, so the fact we know as much about him as we do about Nihilus doesn't seem to bother anyone. I'm not attacking you or your points, just the idea that it's a good thing that a lot of peoeple get a cheated feeling when finishing this game.

I hate judging a company based on one product, especially a company that has a past as bright as these guys, with Fallout, IWD and Torment... But this game left a bad taste in my mouth in terms of polish & completion.

OK guys lets chill about Nihilus. I think we all know by now that Nihilus wasn't a super huge character and had little time in the game. Maybe his main role was to set up Visas? Maybe he was there to let you have Visas in your party and that was his main reason in the KOTOR II story. Yeah he destroys worlds and yeah he is also a wound/void in the force. I think Darth Traya summed it up pretty well by showing you what happened between Nihilus, Sion, and herself. They wanted to start their war and she wanted to wait.

My questions for the KOTOR II story are these:

-- Why and how can Darth Sion and Darth Traya just get back together, I mean Traya learned betrayal at the Malachor academy and was betrayed in-turn. I sure as hell wouldn't let that jumble of bones and cracked flesh being held together by the darkside back by my side.

-- How can Darth Sion just revive himself? I remember during your battle with him he tells you that the Pain of all the people and worlds he has destroyed come up from his cracked flesh, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me, becuase I am kinda lost about that aspect.

Nihilus is more complicated to understand, and after having beaten KOTOR 2 twice on Light and Dark side, I now understand what he is and he is no longer such a disappointing weird character that he was to me at first.

Nihilus somehow came from Malachor, "created" there. He found the Ravager broken and eventually repaired it and then he escaped Malachor. Staying on that planet had corrupted him seeing as that planet is full of Darkness and so many deaths in the air.

Trayus Academy posesses a lot of Dark side energy, and it drew upon the deaths on Malachor in the Mandalorian Wars, increasing its "presence". Nihilus probably entered the Trayus Academy, I am not too sure.

If not that, Nihilus is like the Exile - he escaped Malachor 5 and was deafened to the Force caused by all the deaths that occured there (yes this is what happened to the Exile), and was forced to feed on others to keep it going, sort of like the Exile does (the Exile has that ability as a DS character - you suck the Force out of the Jedi Masters you can kill) and both of them are wounds in the Force, because they possess the unnatural ability to get their energy/Force from others.

My questions for the KOTOR II story are these:

1 -- Why and how can Darth Sion and Darth Traya just get back together, I mean Traya learned betrayal at the Malachor academy and was betrayed in-turn. I sure as hell wouldn't let that jumble of bones and cracked flesh being held together by the darkside back by my side.

2 --  How can Darth Sion just revive himself? I remember during your battle with him he tells you that the Pain of all the people and worlds he has destroyed come up from his cracked flesh, maybe someone can shed some light on this for me, becuase I am kinda lost about that aspect.

1 --

Kreia is excellent at manipulating and betraying, and Darth Sion is very strong physically, but not mentally. Kreia is the opposite - very strong mentally, but not physically. Therefore Sion is easy to manipulate and persuade.

2 --

Darth Sion is full of extreme pain, having several thousand fractures in his skeleton, but his hatred and all that Dark side Force energy is keeping him together. It would be no hard conclusion to make that he has very high constitution and is used to so much pain that he just shrugs it off. This is possible in real life, and it's more mentally than physically.

I don't really understand the part where he says that he bears the Pain of all the people and worlds he has destroyed... perhaps he means that all their pain together is what he carries, that he can actually compare his pain to the pain of so many people and worlds combined. If that is true, he is truly a twisted brainwashed wreck. If he gets used to that pain, Lightsaber scars probably don't mean too much. But when the heart stops, (just an example, I don't know if his actually did or not) it has to. Even if he doesn't feel anything, it is simply logical that he would stop living once his heart stops, no Human can just ignore the death of a vital part in their body, it just kills them, and that's it.

That view could swing both ways really.

That's a very real possibility Jag, but I like to think of it the way I said it, makes more sense to me. The same thing for Sion and Nihilis, I doubt those were their real names.

Ostkant since I have yet to play TSL I won't read what you blacked out, however I am kinda disappointed in the reports that Nihilis' character gets little more than a cameo. I had hoped his role had been a prominent one throughout the entire story. Especially with all the publicity that surrounded him and tight lid of info about him, made me think believe he was going to be a significant part of the story. Real shame there, hate that they chose Sion to have the bigger role, don't like him at all.

Nihilus is more complicated to understand, and after having beaten KOTOR 2 twice on Light and Dark side, I now understand what he is and he is no longer such a disappointing weird character that he was to me at first.

Nihilus somehow came from Malachor, "created" there. He found the Ravager broken and eventually repaired it and then he escaped Malachor. Staying on that planet had corrupted him seeing as that planet is full of Darkness and so many deaths in the air.

Trayus Academy posesses a lot of Dark side energy, and it drew upon the deaths on Malachor in the Mandalorian Wars, increasing its "presence". Nihilus probably entered the Trayus Academy, I am not too sure.

If not that, Nihilus is like the Exile - he escaped Malachor 5 and was deafened to the Force caused by all the deaths that occured there (yes this is what happened to the Exile), and was forced to feed on others to keep it going, sort of like the Exile does (the Exile has that ability as a DS character - you suck the Force out of the Jedi Masters you can kill) and both of them are wounds in the Force, because they possess the unnatural ability to get their energy/Force from others.

Oddly enough you revealed no new information...

Nihilus serves a symbolic purpose... he is meant to arouse questions and wonder. He stands for something.

However, I believe he has a lot more background than people think, and that his hype... box art and so on, is as it should be.

Personally, I believe that Nihilus is Revan.

As I posted in the 'Speculation' thread, the 'True Sith' in my eyes is the pure dark side, the natural will for the end of life and the consumation of others. That is what Nihilus is.

Revan went to Malachor V after the Jedi Civil War to fight off the 'True Sith'. An effort to either destroy or resurrect the evil of Malachor V (as said in the Chronicles). Instead of being able to control it this time though, he fell to it.. and it consumed him. This I believe was inside of him, and inside of Malachor V. Malachor V gave birth to Nihilus... gave birth to the 'True Sith'.. the evil within Revan.

Revan ceased being the Revan that he was (LS, DS, whatever)... being consumed by the pure dark side, he became the 'True Sith', extending the will of the dark side to consume beyond the borders of Malachor V. Revan lost his humanity, and became just a being of hunger for life energies.

With no background in the game, shrouded by a cloak and masked, speaking in a tongue that you can't understand... identifies him as a monster, inhuman.. but makes you wonder... what was he? What species? Gender? What does he look like under that mask? Is he human? It lies him entirely open... and if you think about it as Revan, then he is given far more background in KotOR II than just the parts where you see him, and as important to the story of the KotOR series as the box art and ads point to.

Some minor problems with this theory are... for one, Visas identifies him as 'just a man'. This could point away from it being Revan as some Revan's were female... or she could be referring to the term of 'man' as a species identicator.. man as in mankind. A human.

Another is that the Exile supposedly follows Revan into the Unknown Regions after the final battle. What if she is merely following in Revan's footsteps? Going into exile to fight off the evil that is encroaching her. The LS ending has Malachor V destroyed... that evil, that desire to feed on life's energies, the 'True Sith' could have manifested itself in the Exile. The DS ending is even simpler.. she stays to draw upon the evil of Malachor V.

Just some thoughts o' mine. :-

Oddly enough you revealed no new information...

Perhaps not to you. Do you think everyone already knew all that? Of course not.

And I don't all believe Revan is Nihilus, I refuse to believe that. It has already been proved that Revan is still alive when Nihilus is not. Kreia would know this for sure because she could even see a millenia through the future.

But it takes time to understand it. Your first playthrough isn't always the greatest one - one always learns by beating the game more, I always found myself seeing things I never did before, etc.

I got told more on the Light side then I did when I was on the Dark side.