Questions to Devs - PC Style

Glad to know you're out there still!! :lol:

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

How many people are working on the PC version? Will you have time for some bonus material for the PC version? Are you redoing the interface for the PC version, to take advantage of the mighty mouse controls?

I don't believe there will be bonus material. The timeline we were given to finish the PC version is pretty short and does not include time for making changes to the interface other than fixing any bugs QA finds.

That doesnt mean we have the xbox hud on pc + no mouse control does it?

How many people are working on the PC version? Will you have time for some bonus material for the PC version? Are you redoing the interface for the PC version, to take advantage of the mighty mouse controls?

I don't believe there will be bonus material. The timeline we were given to finish the PC version is pretty short and does not include time for making changes to the interface other than fixing any bugs QA finds.

-Akari

;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That doesnt mean we have the xbox hud on pc + no mouse control does it?

Please tell me i can use my mouse :|

I know the Xboxers will hate me forever for even dreaming of suggesting this, but can we see BAB tweaked? Have monsters base-attack raised? In short, things to do to make the game a bit more challenging?

Fnord.

I know the Xboxers will hate me forever for even dreaming of suggesting this, but can we see BAB tweaked? Have monsters base-attack raised? In short, things to do to make the game a bit more challenging?

*gets out the bucket of cold water*

Doing that sort of thing within such a short time period is iffy. It sounds innocuous but what if it makes one particular battle murderously hard because of a combination of circumstances? Needs testing, and then you've got to re-jigger the balance when you find problems and test it all again, and...

Of course, it's far more feasible than Hades's usual "add a better AI" suggestion... :)

;)

Besides, I'm sure they've got a few bugs of the "do-X-and-then-Y-and-then-Z-and-the-game-crashes" type to be getting on with... :)

You know I still don't know how many NPCs there are. Is there a wookie? Because Avellone said so but I don't see a Wookie on the official site.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

You know I still don't know how many NPCs there are. Is there a wookie? Because Avellone said so but I don't see a Wookie on the official site.

To prevent people from being spoiled, they don't put every character on the official site (however, they feel no remorse for posting MAJOR spoilers in the chronicles, so beware!).

The timeline we were given to finish the PC version is pretty short and does not include time for making changes to the interface other than fixing any bugs QA finds.

I've been thinking about this statement for a bit, and it's actually a bit offensive when I think about it.

Most (not all!) people on this board who have played KotOR2 already have witnessed a huge amount of bugs and weird occurances within the game. They have also filled the board with posts about their bug-findings and problems. KotOR2 for the US Xbox owners passed through QA once before, and apparently they did not do their job very well the first time, since all those reported bugs/problems slipped through their fingers.

The game was (presumably) made for the players. The players have played it, reviewed it and bug reported it since it was released. Now, how about actually listening to the players too? There have been lots of suggestions on how to improve the game (such as increasing the difficulty, letting all NPC's use the workbench etc.) and there have been lots of bug reports which the QA team missed the first time around.

I hope Obsidian remembers that the player base is not only something abstract you take money from, but also an excellent source of information and inspiration.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Rather than tweaking the game and having to worry about balance issues cropping up, it'd be sweet if they included a quasi-GM mode where the only thing you could tweak would be ability scores, saves, VP, FP, and attack bonus. Leave it up to the user, make it an optional mode for those looking for a different experience on the replay. Just off the top of my head, you could prevent incompatibilities arising (like the user lowering an enemy's stats and rendering him ineligible for his own feats/equipment) by only allowing users to raise stats. Actual devs could probably come up with something a lot more elegant.

Not that this is something i actually expect to happen in this universe. It does seem like something that'd be fairly easy to implement; you could go for a bare-bones GUI, or maybe (possibly? i'm no programmer) have a folder of text files the game uses to call up character's stats. Wouldn't even need an interface in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

Question: What will be the actually difference between the XBOX and PC versions? (other than better graphics/performance due to superior hardware)

edit: and of coarse the interface/controls.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

For what it's worth, I have never had any problems with KOTOR and XP SP2; whether or not it's because I'm running XP Pro remains to be seen.

For what it's worth, I've got [important parts only]:

1 GHz P3

384 MB RAM

Sapphire/ATi 9600 256 MB Card

And I'm OK for HDD space, although I might take Halo off to accomodate KOTOR 2 when that arrives.

8)

Lord Revan was most displeased with your lack of combat skill.

-Something I wish they'd put in KOTOR