Was the Xbox version a Christmas rush job?

Another reason to get the pc version....... later. :rolleyes:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"The game is ready."

I am sorry a game with lag, clipping, warping, and freezing issues is NOT ready.

Rush job.

What I was saying was essentially the game itself (story, combat, etc...) was probably finished. The issues that you mentioned are things that probably could've been fixed by more QA time.

But I don't think the blame rests on Obsidian. It is apparent to me, just seeing the non-rushed portion of the game, that this was something great until the marketing guys at Lucas penciled a pre-Christmas release date

I believe that is the case also, they just wanted to cash in. But it also works against them because they released KotOR II right near Halo 2 and GTA: SA's release dates which are most likely going to dominate sales as far as X-mas goes and are going to overshadow KotOR II. And also as a result we can kiss any GOTY awards goodbye.

Because, honestly the content of the game is ****ing fantastic, and given the game's scope, I am not surprised that there are bugs in it.  But I think that it was a rush job, and that just compounded the problem.  I'm going to return it, because a buggy and unpatchable console game is inexcusable, but the thing is that I really want the game to work!  So, I am just hoping that perhaps a newer version will be released with fixes.  Am I merely dreaming or is it actually possible?

Probably not. That would mean that LA or Obsidian would have to admit that they released a defective game, and I doubt that is going to happen.

Btw does anyone know the development time of both KotOR and KotOR II? I think TSL was around one year considering they started right after the first was released.

Plus patches and MODS are jsut kook. No bugs. The way the devs intended :)

Precisely. :thumbsup:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

****ing Lucas Arts! First they **** up the prequels, now they **** up the sequel to the game that people say revived the spirit of Star Wars. Way to go, a$$shole$

I hope Obsidian says some **** about them, so that they are forced to release a new version, and then if LucasArts won't let them use Star Wars anymore, well **** 'em, Obsidian can just make their own ruleset/universe and LA can just lose money. Or Bioware could make KotOR 3 and it would be just as good. Dammit, I am so disappointed because the game had so much potential.

I wish I could play it on PC.

I dont belive Bioware is doing KOTOR 3. I read an article on IGN that says they're busy with another project. And also Star Wars is a Lucasarts liscensed name. Obsidian cant just say "We're making our own Star Wars game! NAAAH!" Just live with what you got. KOTOR 2 is a sweet game. buggy but sweet.

EDIT: Here we are http://xbox.ign.com/articles/572/572385p1.html

On official Sith business.

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.

Mao Tse-Tung

****ing Lucas Arts! First they **** up the prequels, now they **** up the sequel to the game that people say revived the spirit of Star Wars.  Way to go, a$$shole$

I hope Obsidian says some **** about them, so that they are forced to release a new version, and then if LucasArts won't let them use Star Wars anymore, well **** 'em, Obsidian can just make their own ruleset/universe and LA can just lose money.  Or Bioware could make KotOR 3 and it would be just as good.  Dammit, I am so disappointed because the game had so much potential.

I wish I could play it on PC.

No need to be so angry :thumbsup: . Although this game could've used some more development time it is still a good game. Looks like that 'restructuring' that LA had didn't do any good.

it was definitely rushed for an Xmas release on Xbox, but I haven't encountered any fatal bugs/glitches whatsoever in the 20+ hours I've been playing -- if and when I do, I'll be sure to post about it, but right now, I'm loving the game immensely.

There was a certain part that I thought had glitched, as I was all alone, but it turns out all I had to do was to pick my party members! oops. :">

I don't doubt the game has glitches or bugs. The first game did, and with that one, I had one freeze at the very beginning, but that was it. However, I know some people ran into the dreaded "Carth glitch" as well as the Galaxy Droid -- I never ran into either.

And although I've never had a corrupted save, I always have mutliple save-files anyway....

1) all console games release with bugs, just cause you personally don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. I worked at the Xbox certification lab, trust me...lots of games ship with bugs.

2) Xbox Live allows patching. I don't think they're allowed to call them patches, but "content Updates" or "Expanded Content" downloaded from xbox live will generally includes minor fixes and such in addition to the new content.

3) Releasing during the holiday season was a great idea. There are no other games in the same demographic releasing at the same time. They aren't going up against Halo 2, Half-life 2, Grand theft auto: San Andreas, or Metal Gear Solid 3....they are all in completely different demographic groups.

4) The vocal minority who post on troubleshooting forums and on fan forum sites do not represent the play experience of the general public.

The devs here have expressed their interest in making "Knights of the New Republic"

I hope not, thats a stupid idea, the biggest problem being how almost every second after ROTJ is covered by some lame author. Worse the New Order books have to be the least liked turds ever laided by LucasArts, that or the New Anakin ending in ROTJ

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The devs here have expressed their interest in making "Knights of the New Republic"

I hope not, thats a stupid idea, the biggest problem being how almost every second after ROTJ is covered by some lame author. Worse the New Order books have to be the least liked turds ever laided by LucasArts, that or the New Anakin ending in ROTJ

ROFL

lawlz

So much potential and so little execution... ugh. It was like trying to find a rose in lot overgrown with weeds.

I finished the game, and I am *very* disappointed. The freezes and spontaneouly ending cutscenes aside, the volume of dialog problems (psychic dialog, talking about past quests in present tense and vice versa, unpredictable loops etc., etc., etc.) just killed it for me. I have a new XBox, runs K1/Halo2/Ghost Recon etc. flawlessly.

And for those who are saying vocal minority, I have a story for you.

My roommate is the store manager of a very successful gamestop. K2 has been responsible for more attempted returns and exchanges than any other game since he's run that store, going on 2 years now. Universally, it's been because of glitches or apparent glitches. So if it is a minority, it's a large one. And for an un-patchable release, there's no justifying that. Don't forget there's no Live plug-in, so it would have to be a new disc to replace any previous ones with problems.

Also, there are so many story points left unexplained... not even knowing why you crash or what happens after it at one point is just ridiculous. It feels like a totally deus ex machina plot-push that they couldn't justify.

This could have been SO good... so very many solid or fabulous ideas and theories, just so poorly executed. I does give me hope for future Obsidian titles - whether I spend my money on those depends entirely on how they handle cleanup on this one.

I am holding out hope based on people claiming glitch-free play that the glitches may have been a bad batch - a burn or compile problem, and if so I'm hoping that people that got the bad batch will be alowed to exchange their discs for a non-bugged version.

The fact that the glitch and dialog flaws compress towards the end does seem to strongly evidence a rush or less care taken with those parts. Notably, the final planet returns to mostly glitch-free play after a headlong tumble through many getting there.

Here's hoping they take some ownership and fix what they can.

-Vyper Out.

well the one person who cud give us the definitive answer to that question is mr avellone, who happens to be on the boards rite now. mebbes he will tell us if he thought lucasarts rushed obsidian, or perhaps he would rather not commit career suicide by bitching bout his employer thing :blink:

Hear hear, Vyperhand! I agree totally, and that is good information about the Gamestop worker.

It's also good to hear that a dev is looking at the board. I wish he could say SOMETHING about the bugs.

Also, I checked with a friend, and he said that the force powers that I said had problems, (speed, defense) worked just fine with his game. So I guess I am going to go back to the store and see if perhaps I can get a fixed disc. I just hope that the "fixed" disc won't have more bugs than the one I have now.

I guess they aren't working on a sequel, then.

I didn't have any freezes or spontaneously ending cut-scenes. I don't know if this sounds like a QA/bug-fixing problem, or it's really just bad discs.

I don't know about this, "Bad Story" bit, either. That's certainly not the universal idea, from what I've seen. The crashing on the last planet? Why was that? It was said, over and over again, that

Malachor had unusually high gravity

(or something equivalent), and ships plummeted to their death because of it. I won't say that you're wrong in your opinion, and I will say that the ending could've played out more clearly. You might say coherently, I don't really care... I just know that not everyone's experience was that bad.

I just beat the game on DS and all I can say is the game was rushed in a big way. The story seems rushed in the sense its not fleshed out in the end the way it should be, the game/game play is really buggy, and sports one of the worst endings I have ever seen period. When I saw the ending I thought to myself I spent 40+ hours of my life playing this game for that? :blink:

TSL starts strong but sadly the rush job factor catches up with it. A lot of the time I was playing through the game saying to myself this would have been so much better if they just spent a little more time tweaking this or that. This game could have been better than K1 on so many levels but sadly due to its unfinished state it falls well short of that goal. TSL is a squandered opportunity for greatness that only required a little more development time. I doubt I will even play through the game a second time because I really don't wanna deal with the crashes and the other BS only to see another lack luster ending.

P.S. Darth Nihilus??? WTF! I never thought there would be a Sith character who was worse than Darth Maul. Sadly I Guess I was wrong.

Cheers!

I just beat the game on DS and all I can say is the game was rushed in a big way. The story seems rushed in the sense its not fleshed out in the end the way it should be, the game/game play is really buggy, and sports one of the worst endings I have ever seen period. When I saw the ending I thought to myself I spent 40+ hours of my life playing this game for that?  :huh:

TSL starts strong but sadly the rush job factor catches up with it. A lot of the time I was playing through the game saying to myself this would have been so much better if they just spent a little more time tweaking this or that. This game could have been better than K1 on so many levels but sadly due to its unfinished state it falls well short of that goal. TSL is a squandered opportunity for greatness that only required a little more development time. I doubt I will even play through the game a second time because I really don't wanna deal with the crashes and the other BS only to see another lack luster ending.

P.S. Darth Nihilus??? WTF! I never thought there would be a Sith character who was worse than Darth Maul. Sadly I Guess I was wrong.

Cheers!

I thought the original KOTOR had a horrible ending (light side), even though it was a shout-out to Episode IV. Too short, and meh. But that didn't stop me from playing through the game again, and getting the much more satisfying DS ending. But that ending wasn't all that great either -- it was definitely the journey, for me.

I can't see how those of us encountering bugs are in the vocal minority. I got an Xbox last week just to play KOTOR2, and I've encountered more than a couple bugs, and one complete lock up at 15 hours of play. I enjoyed KOTOR1 immensely, and 2 is proving fun as well, but it is frustrating to play a game that has obvious errors in the code. Now, story line complaints are a separate issue entirely, but crashes and bugs are unacceptable, in my opinion.

Is anyone actually having success returning the game? I wouldn't think a store would take the game back if it were opened, not matter the reason.

If you play a PC game non-stop for 8 hours, you can expect a lock-up or a crash. If you run an XBox (which has some cooling issues) non-stop around a hot entertainment center (I've seen XBox's fry because people put them on top of TV's) for 8 hours, a lock-up or crash is not out of line either.

Don't stack the XBox on any electronics that get warm. Save frequently.

That's my advice.

Played Halo 2 Saturday at a lan party...my xbox was on 9 hours. On 3 different times less than 20 minutes into KOTOR 2 the game freezes up. Not any of the other 20 or so games I own for the Xbox has ever locked up one time.

Game was not QAd completely..it is not a hardware issue.