Was the Xbox version a Christmas rush job?

If it was rushed for Christmas I blame LucasArts for pulling the trigger when the original Feb release date could have been fine, and I blame the fans for screaming for an early release.

I'd rather have a good release rather than an early release.

Who releases games early in this industry?

I think the Christmas release may hurt KOTOR:2 a little initially. Everyone has after Christmas sales. People often give and/or buy a new console for Christmas, and then buy games in early Janurary.

Releasing in early December means that KOTOR:2 goes directly up against Half Life 2, Halo 2 (currently humiliating all sales records), GTA:SA (sequel to the previously best selling console title of all time), Metal Gear Solid 3, and many more.

Gamers over reacting or was the game just not ready?

The game is ready. There's a great story (although I heard the ending was unsatisfying) expanded on the combat, some new graphical effects, expanded on items and character interaction as well. It may not seem like this because there are bugs\glitches that keep these things from working.

I think the game should've spent more time in QA. But with a small crew and limited time wasn't much obsidian could do, just hope for some better things in the PC release.

Gamecontent-wise, nope. Customerservice-wise, yes.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe some Xbox have faulty DVD drives or their owners don't treat them properly and thus there is dust in these drives which can cause many problems. Problems you can avoid if you run the game from a hard disk.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I have to be honest and say I haven't exactly followed any other console games this closely before, so I have no measuring stick to compare to. But it seems that KOTOR:TSL has an ENORMOUS amount of bugs/glitches for a console game. I sort of expected these kinds of issues to be present for the PC version, since most PC games tend to be buggy somewhat on release. But I never expected a console version to have these many issues (as seen in the tech help forum).

So yeah, my vote goes for LA rushing the US XBox version when they shouldn't have.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I can't speak from experience as I didn't play KoToR on XBox and refuse to play K2 on it(my little protest), but from all I've heard for the most part it is the same types of glitches they had the first time only more often. Seeing as how the engine is the same, with more just added to it I'm not surprised. If what happens holds true I'll be fine on the pc after the first patch.

I don't think it was rushed I just don't think any of it's flaws were fixed.

I don't think it was rushed I just don't think any of it's flaws were fixed.

Isn't that the definition of a rushed product? A product that had flaws/errors that needed fixing, but because the game was shipped, couldn't be fixed?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That argument makes no sense.

Let's break it down. We have a game that has bugs and issues that needed addressing (based on the tech forum). Given a couple of extra months of testing (which is the original release date), these could have been fixed. But because of the Christmas shopping period, the game was pushed to make sure it got out before Christmas, even with bugs still present.

Sorry, but that's the defintion of a rushed game. If that's NOT a rushed game, then I'd love to hear your example of what WOULD constitute a rushed game.

It was most certainly a rushed game, imo. This was apparent toward the end, where a certain fight occurred just to give resolution to a conflict.

spoiler

the Mira fight

But I don't think the blame rests on Obsidian. It is apparent to me, just seeing the non-rushed portion of the game, that this was something great until the marketing guys at Lucas penciled a pre-Christmas release date. I can't wait to see an original rpg by Obsidian with no strings attached to other companies. I could see it in the first 40 hours of gameplay in STL.

I think the Christmas release may hurt KOTOR:2 a little initially.  Everyone has after Christmas sales.  People often give and/or buy a new console for Christmas, and then buy games in early Janurary.

Releasing in early December means that KOTOR:2 goes directly up against Half Life 2, Halo 2 (currently humiliating all sales records), GTA:SA (sequel to the previously best selling console title of all time), Metal Gear Solid 3, and many more.

zombie games are scary (spoken from first hand experience of resident evil 2)

halo 2 is probably as overated as halo 1

i played GTA:SA at a friends house and it didnt really suck that much but it wasnt great either so it is as overated as halo 1

i have played MGS 1 on playstation when i was 7 years old and i thought it was GR8 but i havent played 2 or 3.

and yes i think kotor 2 was definitely rushed so based on the info i have seen im going to buy the PC version in february because it will have patches and mods and stuff =\

I have put this idea forward on the Tech Support boards, but I thought I'd add it here as well, where I might actually get a reply. Is there a possibility that in the future, they will publish a different version, like a 1.1 with bug fixes and such?

Because, honestly the content of the game is ****ing fantastic, and given the game's scope, I am not surprised that there are bugs in it. But I think that it was a rush job, and that just compounded the problem. I'm going to return it, because a buggy and unpatchable console game is inexcusable, but the thing is that I really want the game to work! So, I am just hoping that perhaps a newer version will be released with fixes. Am I merely dreaming or is it actually possible?