D&D: Does Obsidian 'ave an interest?

QUOTE (Karzak @ Feb 19 2004, 02:05 PM)

QUOTE (FrankK @ Feb 19 2004, 01:06 PM)

QUOTE (Hades_One @ Feb 19 2004, 01:04 PM)

Good point, Frankie.  I think that if you guys can make a game that has the rules implementation of Temple of Elemental Evil but with the story value of PS:T, but withthe openness of character creation of Icewind Dale that might be a kickarse game.

We've sent proposals for "Deekin's Big Adventure" out, but nobody's biting...yet. The game starts with Deekin and a crate, and a cutscene of the crate...

Put princess leia in a steel bikini chained to the crate, as a rust monster approaches!

have it all take place in a brothel built out of dead kids and you have yourself a game, son.

what about the tentacles and hentai girls?? :lol:

QUOTE (Karzak @ Feb 19 2004, 02:05 PM)

QUOTE (FrankK @ Feb 19 2004, 01:06 PM)

QUOTE (Hades_One @ Feb 19 2004, 01:04 PM)

Good point, Frankie.  I think that if you guys can make a game that has the rules implementation of Temple of Elemental Evil but with the story value of PS:T, but withthe openness of character creation of Icewind Dale that might be a kickarse game.

We've sent proposals for "Deekin's Big Adventure" out, but nobody's biting...yet. The game starts with Deekin and a crate, and a cutscene of the crate...

Put princess leia in a steel bikini chained to the crate, as a rust monster approaches!

have it all take place in a brothel built out of dead kids and you have yourself a game, son.

what about the tentacles and hentai girls?? :lol:

Hey, we are trying for a teen rating here!

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

I would love to see a QUALITY D&D CRPG.

Set it in the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, that new WoTC setting...I don't care. As long as it's a well-made, well-told game I'm all over it. I'll always have a soft spot for D&D.

My thoughts exactly.

newlogo.gif

Would we need and play another D&D game? Gold Box games, Planescape, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Temple of Elemental Evil are well enough (and good enough)...

Speakin only for myself, I would like another D&D game set in the Realms. I know some are tired of the setting, but I personally like the familiarity of the world.

...t'ings be sooooo much simpler if'n Wizards o' the Crapper jus' realized theys a bunch o' flat-**** maroons an' left da rules implimentation up ta da Devs whose been makin' kick-arse games like PS:T, the IWD Saga, the BG Saga, etc...why theys always gotta shyte on e'eryone's parade be beyond me, since theys gonna git theys money anyways... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Do we *need8 another D&D game? No.

Do I *want* one? Yes.,

Why not. Some of my favorite games are D&D ones, and D&D has beena fave past time of mine for almost 20 years so why wouldn't I want more? What a silly question.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Do we *need8 another D&D game?

...yes, dwarf; yes, we does...Wemics must eventually 'ave theys Time in the Sun...I say Unca Feargie et all should make a Planescape-deep, IWD-action, BG-long D&D Epic wit' a Wemic frontman... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

...t'ings be sooooo much simpler if'n Wizards o' the Crapper jus' realized theys a bunch o' flat-**** maroons an' left da rules implimentation up ta da Devs whose been makin' kick-arse games like PS:T, the IWD Saga, the BG Saga, etc...why theys always gotta shyte on e'eryone's parade be beyond me, since theys gonna git theys money anyways... :thumbsup:

Because they own the D&D brand name and trademark and they want to ensure that it maintains a certain reputation and consistency? In practice, D&D CRPGs also help sell P&P D&D games as well. I don't have a problem with them so much. It's Hasbro after they bought WotC that introduced these new family oriented guidelines regarding content because Hasbro wants to maintain a family oriented image. But rather than complain about it, developers should just look hard at them and then work within those guidelines to still make a good game. It's not impossible.

Do we *need8 another D&D game? No.

Do I *want* one? Yes.,

Why not. Some of my favorite games are D&D ones, and D&D has beena fave past time of mine for almost 20 years so why wouldn't I want more? What a silly question.

I want a game with the rules implementation (WITHOUT BUGS) of TOEE and the storyline and roleplaying of Icewind Dale 1 or BG series. That would satisfy me. I really like the tactical options that D&D gives you. Make it FR, Eberron or Greyhawk. I guess preferably Greyhawk or Eberron so it would be something new.

Do we *need8 another D&D game?

...yes, dwarf; yes, we does...Wemics must eventually 'ave theys Time in the Sun...I say Unca Feargie et all should make a Planescape-deep, IWD-action, BG-long D&D Epic wit' a Wemic frontman... :lol:

But what about the +8 ECL that Wemics receives in Third Edition? Somewhat puts them at a disadvantage. :thumbsup:

But this sounds good:

"a Planescape-deep, IWD-action, BG-long D&D Epic"

Because they own the D&D brand name and trademark and they want to ensure that it maintains a certain reputation and consistency? In practice, D&D CRPGs also help sell P&P D&D games as well. I don't have a problem with them so much. It's Hasbro after they bought WotC that introduced these new family oriented guidelines regarding content because Hasbro wants to maintain a family oriented image. But rather than complain about it, developers should just look hard at them and then work within those guidelines to still make a good game. It's not impossible.

...ummm...yeah; like the Monte Cook Ranger woulda been horrific fer Wizards o' the Crapper ta let in IWD2; ya mean decisions like that...there be a difference 'tween makin' sure theys git the rules an' such right an' jus' bein' pricks fer the simple reason that they can...D&D wasna made ta be light an' fluffy material, either; ne'er has it been or will it e'er be Family Oriented fer the masses ta enjoy...A D&D gamer ain't yer ordinary, run-o'-the-mill gamer; we's a different breed...Wizards o' the Crapper should be makin' D&D fer us, theys fanbase; not tryin' ta make it all cute & fuzzy fer the masses; cuz it'll ne'er be a game fer the general populus... :angry:

• Like 1

Because they own the D&D brand name and trademark and they want to ensure that it maintains a certain reputation and consistency?  In practice, D&D CRPGs also help sell P&P D&D games as well.  I don't have a problem with them so much.  It's Hasbro after they bought WotC that introduced these new family oriented guidelines regarding content because Hasbro wants to maintain a family oriented image.  But rather than complain about it, developers should just look hard at them and then work within those guidelines to still make a good game.  It's not impossible.

...ummm...yeah; like the Monte Cook Ranger woulda been horrific fer Wizards o' the Crapper ta let in IWD2; ya mean decisions like that...there be a difference 'tween makin' sure theys git the rules an' such right an' jus' bein' pricks fer the simple reason that they can...D&D wasna made ta be light an' fluffy material, either; ne'er has it been or will it e'er be Family Oriented fer the masses ta enjoy...A D&D gamer ain't yer ordinary, run-o'-the-mill gamer; we's a different breed...Wizards o' the Crapper should be makin' D&D fer us, theys fanbase; not tryin' ta make it all cute & fuzzy fer the masses; cuz it'll ne'er be a game fer the general populus... :angry:

I never said I disagreed with you about the guidelines portion being family oriented or not. That was Hasbro's doing. I think the founder of WotC left after the acquisition and didn't agree with some of these decisions.

But the not being allowed to use the Monte Cook Ranger was a no brainer in my opinion. That's not official D&D material. Icewind Dale 2 wanted to be called an official D&D game; hence no Monte Cook Ranger.

True, besides you dont need to look further that BG2 Kensai implementation to see at a bad idea would be to allow people to run D&D as they see fit.

Besides as said, its not Wizards fault but HAsbro fault.

Personaly I would like a Lengend of the five Rings game far more that a D&D game.

drakron.png

the worst thing about a kensai was that it was one of the things which made bg2 a s***ty rpg. how the hell did this guy who was in candlekeep forever which is basically a medieval european setting turn into a japanese overnight? it completely crazy and idiotic. anyone who roleplayed a kensai in bg2 was probably out of his/her mind.

But what about the +8 ECL that Wemics receives in Third Edition? Somewhat puts them at a disadvantage. :rolleyes:

...yea, that really pisses me off...should Wemics git an ECL penalty: yes; should it be a cripplin' +8: hell, no...a +3 (p'rhaps e'en a +4) ECL'd be more than adequate... :unsure:

• Like 1

the worst thing about a kensai was that it was one of the things which made bg2 a s***ty rpg. how the hell did this guy who was in candlekeep forever which is basically a medieval european setting turn into a japanese overnight? it completely crazy and idiotic. anyone who roleplayed a kensai in bg2 was probably out of his/her mind.

BioWare lost their mind on that one .... well not only on that one.

Kensai was a 2nd ed kit, Forgotten Realms was liked to Kara-tur that was a oriental setting but Kara-tur never made it far.

I supposed it was possible since Candlekeep could have the writtings to launch someone on that kit, it was very unlikely.

Problem with the Kensai was that people dual classed into a mage and had the best of worlds, it was a broken class because of that.

You know what I liked on BIS games, class and item placement was always well done as BioWare never done a good job, continue to taking BG2 as a example there were too many great single hands weapon making the dual wield route too good to be ignored and there was no conter balance of two handed weapons or shields and that is why most people end up having dual wielding characters in BG2.

Everyone remenber the "why Bio, why" rant about thieves and dual wield but one thing Karzak was right, there was no good shield for a thief to use, that was great oversight that ToB could have, at least, corrected but did noit.

From a rule point of view I enjoyed IWD series more that BG series, IWD2 was far better that NwN in most parts.

drakron.png

BioWare lost their mind on that one .... well not only on that one.

Kensai was a 2nd ed kit, Forgotten Realms was liked to Kara-tur that was a oriental setting but Kara-tur never made it far.

I supposed it was possible since Candlekeep could have the writtings to launch someone on that kit, it was very unlikely.

Problem with the Kensai was that people dual classed into a mage and had the best of worlds, it was a broken class because of that.

You know what I liked on BIS games, class and item placement was always well done as BioWare never done a good job, continue to taking BG2 as a example there were too many great single hands weapon making the dual wield route too good to be ignored and there was no conter balance of two handed weapons or shields and that is why most people end up having dual wielding characters in BG2.

Everyone remenber the "why Bio, why" rant about thieves and dual wield but one thing Karzak was right, there was no good shield for a thief to use, that was great oversight that ToB could have, at least, corrected

• Like 1

You know ... when Throne of Bhall come out in europe the DVD box had a ad about NwN and that ad told EXACTLY what the NwN story would be about.

I remenber the out cry about how stupid the story was and one of BioWare staff come out and said "oh, no that is just a proposed story line and you have nothing to worry about and you can trust us".

The ad story was exactly what NwN had ... I think the only thing BioWare listens on that one was the ass kissing, I would be more forgiving if they said the events did not allowed then to do better but the way they defended that story line ... just to see then later saying "oh the original campain was not as good" ... buch of liers ...

I am blessed/cursed with a great memory ... I remeber the events after most people would forgotten then and even if I dont expect the company staff to say "yep, its not very good" I would at least expect to keep silent.

hope that OE does not grow a ego like some other companies and treat players as players ... not like idiots that sould only post about how great they are.

drakron.png

Everyone remenber the "why Bio, why" rant about thieves and dual wield

Not really, what was it about :huh:

Bio basically threw the rules out the window on BG2 and did a LOT of stupid things, far too many to list here, then continued it into NWN (they had 5 years to write that POS sorry arsed story), and lied about so much to the BG fans just to get a few extra sales.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?