A PC release on DVD ?

Would you like a DVD release of Kotor:TSL on PC ?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a DVD release of Kotor:TSL on PC ?

• Yes and my PC is equipped with a DVD-Rom.
    • No, even though my PC is equipped with a DVD-rom
    • No because I don't currently own a DVD-Rom.

I just bought Pirates today on dvd, cost me 5 dollars more than the cd version (because the slapped some "limited edition" label on it). Can't really see why more multi cd games can't be released the same way :cool:

Would love to see Kotor2 on one cd. Even better with no cd check...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They may do as HL2 did, cds in the US, dvd in Europe

I thought the U.S. had DVD versions as well? My friend got it on DVD...

I just bought Pirates today on dvd, cost me 5 dollars more than the cd version (because the slapped some "limited edition" label on it).

Funny, I bought the LE for the same price as the 2 CD version.

Something I feel the need that needs be said as from some posts here I think some members are misinformed. Obsidian does NOT choose the medium it gets shipped with. Thats the publisher. It would behove those that want one or the other to post on the proper forums. Nothing can be done by the devs here.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Cost isn't the issue. the issue is annoyance. Even if someone gave me a DVD drive free it wouldn't be worth my time to crack my case and install the drive.

Doooh. I suggest you should install it at once...surely you are smart enough to install a dvd-driveand plug in the proper cables....it works the same with a cd drive.

And while you

Cost isn't the issue. the issue is annoyance. Even if someone gave me a DVD drive free it wouldn't be worth my time to crack my case and install the drive.

Good point Alan. I didn't really considered this possibility because:

1) Most PCs that haven't been modified since they were bought and that are performant enough to play KOTOR with a decent frame rate are very likely to have been sold at a time at which DVD-roms were almost as cheap as CD-roms and therfore were very likely to come quipped with a DVD-rom.

2) The PCs that were sold before the "DVD era" are not likely to be performant enough to play KOTOR with decent graphics and framerate and were probably modified from their original state by their owners to add a diretx 8.0 graphic card (or better) and therefore those owners already had the case opened and either already know how to replace hardware by themselves or know someone who could take 10 minutes to plug-in a DVD-rom or could go to a shop where they could get a DVD-rom installed.

I don't really understand where your computer falls in but my guess is that you are probably running on a Directx 7.0 or below videocard and that you will be missing the nice visual effects in Kotor:TSL that, from what I have seen on the Xbox console, are much more visible and present all through the game than in the first one. If you don't own a Laptop or a computer that is hardly evolutive, you might someday consider getting a new videocard at at the same time have DVD-rom installed.

But again I am not against a CD-rom release. I am FOR a DVD release. I would like that if we could get a package with the two games on one DVd as some already said. I already own the first game but would like to have it aswell on DVD-rom. It is a game worth having twice :).

@ ALan:

Omg...you can upgrade your pc quite good if you

Even though it's not Obsidian's decision it doesn't mean we can't discuss the issue here. Intrestingly there was a poll about games on DVD on the Lucasarts site about a month ago, so I guess the issue is under consideration.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Something I feel the need that needs be said as from some posts here I think some members are misinformed. Obsidian does NOT choose the medium it gets shipped with. Thats the publisher. It would behove those that want one or the other to post on the proper forums. Nothing can be done by the devs here.

I guessed it was a publisher's decision but I decided to start the thread here because we can't make polls on LucasArts' forums but I made there a post there with a link to this thread on Obsidians forums. Also I find Obsidian's forums much more agreable to use and having been reading this forum since the announcement of Kotor 2, I decided to register and post here because I feel that people who post here are a lot more open-minded.

If my primary goal had been to influence the publisher I probably would have started an online petition instead (unless there is already one that exists) ... although I can't remember even one of those many online petitions I signed to have succeeded in their goal.

Also I mostly did this thread for myself because I was curious to see approximately how many people don't own a DVD and how much would like releases on DVDs. Approximately 4 on 5 people in this forum seems to agree with a DVD release. I wish I knew how Europeans were able to tell the publishers their desire to buy games on DVDs.

I am still curious to know what reasons drove a non negligible purcentage of the DVD-roms owners to vote againt the idea of a DVD release in this thread (those who chose the second choice in the poll).

Man, I do my own physical upgrades to my PC and its not that hard.  I put in hard drives, PCI and AGP cards, power supplies, CPUs, DVD/CD ROM drives and whatnot.  If someone like me can do it anyone with decent intelligence can do it.

I suppose it depends on how many cds we're talking about. It's not really worth putting a 2cd game on a dvd, but anything over that would be much better on a dvd (if only cos you'll have less of the bloody things to store + it must be cheaper to press 1 dvd than umpteen cds).

I'm figuring they'll catch up eventually, look how long it took them to ditch disks! The arguments about people not having the hardware doesn't make sense considering how often the industry seems to want you to upgrade your graphics card. Maybe they don't want to invest the money in it yet?

Not only does it need to be offered on DVD, but the DVD needs to be in a jewel case. Then I can put it in my CD rack and the box in my cabinet. Should be cheaper to produce than plastic movie DVD(like) case. Eidos uses DVD-like cases for CD games and they suck. Won't hold a manual well for one thing. And we NEED a good physical manual, esp. if K2 has the same Alt-Tab problems as K1.

No part of actual computer building is hard anymore. The only hard part there ever was was jumpers on MB's, and they're all jumperless now by default, I think. Making sure stuff is compatible and equally capable is now the hardest part, and that's not really part of building it.

The only problem I've see with DVD drives is that mine plays audio CD's too fast and noisily, but it's a problem with fast CD-only drives too, and might be correctible with firmware updates.

DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even just a 30% of the relase of DVD they must produce some!!!!!!!!!!! I am Sick of the stupid cases the come up with for 60odd CD's! More games you do in DVD's the more people get DVD plays so the more games you can release on DVD! If PC mag's can do issues with CD's and issues with DVD's then publishers can!

Guest Darth Banooby7
I think they should have both versions. Because i want the game to sell, and it won't sell as good if people without a DVD can't buy it. Although i don't get it why people just don't get a DVD player. It's so cheap now!! Even DVD-burners are cheap!!

If you buy a new HP computer, I think it comes with a DVD-ROM. my computer (HP) is a little over a year old and it has a DVD-ROM AND a DVD burner - stock!

I don't have a DVD-Rom, because - No games get released on DVD.

As soon as they are - of course I'd buy one.

(Still had to vote "Don't have a DVD drive, though)

If TSL was released on DVD, I'd certainly think about upgrading.

A few more games, and it would become a must have.

It's strange that games that 'require' a certain standard of graphics card, get released all the time, but no one has yet said; "OK - we're releasing this game on DVD only, time to upgrade, suckers".

The switch from Floppies to CDs was much quicker than the switch from CDs to DVD.