PRIMA Strategy Guide for KotOR2

Selling the guides before the games release is just good business sense. After game release, as somebody remarked, if you get stuck you can always go to a web site and find walk throughs, build help, strats ect.... This would naturally hurt sales.

In addition, the guide no doubt offers a ton of information regarding story arcs, NPCs, items, feats ect... (You know the type of thing we are trying to figure out and pestering the DEVs about :) ) This information of course has a definite shelf life and once the game is released we can just figure it out for ourselves or visit web sites. Again this would hurt sales.

Now for the less internet/gaming savvy, when the book is released will have no impact on sales. They buy the game AND the book at the same time if they were inclined to buy the book at all.

Conclusion? Release the book before game release and you sell more books.

Gotag

anyone have anyidea how much the stratagey guide is going to cost? I mean the one with the DVD ofcourse. (just checked and its $24.99 US)

I was just on the ebgames website and was looking at the LOTR: Third Age game when I noticed that it (atleast one copy which is the same price point as KOTOR TSL) is shipped with a DVD this is the qoute from the site page

"Order and receive a free bonus DVD! DVD includes: Mini Strategy Guide, Exclusive cheat codes, Feature Presentation-Making of the Game, and Online downloads. Bonus item will ship with purchased product, and is only available while supplies last. Only available online."

So why couldn't TSL be packaged with their DVD strategy guide? since thats what most of us will buy the guide for anyway.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

anyone have anyidea how much the stratagey guide is going to cost? I mean the one with the DVD ofcourse. (just checked and its $24.99 US)

I was just on the ebgames website and was looking at the LOTR: Third Age game when I noticed that it (atleast one copy which is the same price point as KOTOR TSL) is shipped with a DVD this is the qoute from the site page

"Order and receive a free bonus DVD! DVD includes: Mini Strategy Guide, Exclusive cheat codes, Feature Presentation-Making of the Game, and Online downloads. Bonus item will ship with purchased product, and is only available while supplies last. Only available online."

So why couldn't TSL be packaged with their DVD strategy guide? since thats what most of us will buy the guide for anyway.

Just an evil marketing strategy. The game will be bought anyway, so if they make the strategy guide more appealing by providing it with an extras dvd, more people will buy it <_<

I just hope that wherever the guide, whether at EB Games, GameStop, or wherever,  is bought that it comes with the dvd as default and not as a store promotional item.

Sorry to burst your bubble on this one but at EB GAMES anyway there are two different versions of the guide one selling for $16.99 US and the one with the DVD which is selling for $24.99. So it looks like they are just trying to make any and all money they can off of us poor gamers.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

I just hope that wherever the guide, whether at EB Games, GameStop, or wherever,  is bought that it comes with the dvd as default and not as a store promotional item.

Sorry to burst your bubble on this one but at EB GAMES anyway there are two different versions of the guide one selling for $16.99 US and the one with the DVD which is selling for $24.99. So it looks like they are just trying to make any and all money they can off of us poor gamers.

So the DVD version is ONLY available at EB games and nowhere else?

I wonder, will they make this guide a part of a special dvd edition of Kotor2?

I would doubt that they would make a speacial DVD version of the game, though they make at a later date include the DVD in with the game in a speacial collectors edition of the game. that way they can make as much money as possible off of the general gaming public.

Nope not what I said, what I was saying was that at EB games they are selling both versions for the according prices listed above. whether or not other places are selling them, I am not sure mainly because I haven't looked anywhere else since in my area there is only an EB games, and I don't have a credit card to be able to order online.

AscendedPaladin.png

Nope not what I said, what I was saying was that at EB games they are selling both versions for the according prices listed above. whether or not other places are selling them, I am not sure mainly because I haven't looked anywhere else since in my area there is only an EB games, and I don't have a credit card to be able to order online.

Thanks. That means there is still hope and I might be able to get it at GameStop.

btw do you know you could just as comprehensive a guide for free from somewhere like gamefaq.com, is the dvd thing really worth 15 dollars?

True, but it is easier to carry around a book than an entire computer. Also based on the information in the starting post the DVD seems worth the extra $15.

btw do you know you could just as comprehensive a guide for free from somewhere like gamefaq.com, is the dvd thing really worth 15 dollars?

True, but it is easier to carry around a book than an entire computer. Also based on the information in the starting post the DVD seems worth the extra $15.

I would be more willing to pay an extra $10 for the gam eif it included the DVD strategy guide rather than paying the extra $15 on a book that more than likely I will never even use (since I never bought the strategy guide for KOTOR). There are a few thing I would like to know right now, info on the prestige classes, Force powers, feats, and planets. Since I would like to learn about the plot and characters during game play I don't think I would even want the book if I could get the DVD another way.

AscendedPaladin.png

May be the best solution is to play the game without any guide for the first time, and when you play the second time use a guide in order to find what you've missed.

While I tend to agree with you one the fact that we all shoudl play the game before getting the Strategy guide I still think I am going to buy it myself just so I can get the DVD and reveiw some of the much needed info on the disk before the game comes out. There are lots of things I would like to know and this would solve alot of that.

AscendedPaladin.png

May be the best solution is to play the game without any guide for the first time, and when you play the second time use a guide in order to find what you've missed.

While I tend to agree with you one the fact that we all shoudl play the game before getting the Strategy guide I still think I am going to buy it myself just so I can get the DVD and reveiw some of the much needed info on the disk before the game comes out. There are lots of things I would like to know and this would solve alot of that.

I may very well get the DVD enhanced strategy guide simply to have it as a collector's item. However, it will probably go into cold storage for several months into the next year (if I ever even bother to look through it, which I'm beginning to wonder). Although, with the guide coming out a full week before the game is even released, I suspect a Spoiler forum will be required for those who can't keep themselves from acquiring foreknowledge of the events in the game. Accordingly, I'll probably avoid this Forum altogether once the end of November approaches.

I'm not sure about others that have played KotOR, but for me, I went into KotOR totally blind (didn't even bother to set up my "radar"). The whole time I thought Revan was dead, so I kept pestering people about what they thought about him, and what influence he had on their lives. I kept thinking I would have liked to have met this former Jedi face to face. He was so different from my character, who I played more like Obi-Wan in Episode I rather than Luke Skywalker in ANH or ESB. I assumed the confrontation would have devolved into combat, but I figured I would have at least had a chance to ask why. Why did he turn to the Dark Side?

Later on, upon first meeting Malak, and he starts that climactic revelation about Revan my jaw just hit the floor (!) :o . I was thinking, "no way, he's not insinuating what I think he's insinuating?" :ph34r: Cue Darth Revan, in his Vader-esque get up, reaching upto his mask and I'm like (w00t). Face plate falls away and I'm :D :cool: . Of course the initial shock of the revelation was like getting hit with an uppercut to my jaw. Although it wasn't painful, it knocked my "why'd you go to the Darkside" question out of my head.

I never did find out the answer to that question in KotOR (at least not to my satisfaction). And with KotOR2 coming out, with hints that Revan will be there, I find myself desperately hoping again to meet Revan face to face. It's like a hope of revisiting Planescape: Torment for me. Hope of meeting that "Good" incarnation in PS:T (which I felt, my Revan had come to be like at the end of KotOR), hearing the "incarnation" tell of his past and his reasons for tracking down Ravell (sp?) - which so matched my own when Ravell first asked me The Question. I need this, I need to find Revan for closure :p . If Revan's dead at the Sith Lords' hands, Heaven help them o:) , I will personally hunt down every last one of them and gut them! :angry: If he's alive, then maybe there's hope for these Sith Lords yet o:) .

With the game only weeks away from release (the US XBox) - with a PC version coming a month after [edit: 2 months after, my bad ;) ] - my anticipation is greater now than it was for the original KotOR when I first learned of the game and the PC version that was in the works at the time (you wouldn't believe how jealous I was of the XBox owners at the time! :lol: ).

A parting thought, when I started KotOR, Revan had already dropped off the Galactic Radar even before my PC started the adventure. Now with TSL on the way, Revan has again dropped off the Radar, and I find myself completing a circle. I'm mindful however, that the last time through, I assumed he was dead, this time through I'm hoping to find him alive ;) .

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring back and old thread but I figured I would post the pict of the new DVD Strategy guide I found on EB Games I thought it looked cool.

post-1819-1101158233_thumb.jpg

AscendedPaladin.png

Prima's guide to original KOTOR was full of bugs.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

yeah? what kinda bugs? are we talking like system threatning, or just anoying?

AscendedPaladin.png

Like it doesn't matter because the games not all that complicated bugs

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I don't know why anyone would bother with guides like that since games such as KotOR are so freaking simple you would need to be a moron not to know what to do next. Especially given the linear nature of the game. I don't see KotOR 2 being much different from that.