EU continuity

What do you think about EU continuity  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about EU continuity

• 1. The EU is strong enough to hold onto and obeyed
    • 2. The EU has too many mistakes and is just a suggestion.

Don't mistake my comments in the other thread as suggesting I think that they should stay away from Continuity. In fact, I believe strongly that in order for all things SW to fall in to place with one another, continuity is a must. It adds to the depth and detail of the universe.

But (and this is a big but), my point in the other thread is that to say SW continuity has done a good job is a farce. There have been way too many errors along the way to contend that continuity is this perfect or near-perfect entity that has kept the SW universe cohesive. If anything, they've done a poor job of keeping the continuity working with all the errors and ret-cons needed throughout games, books, movies, comics, etc.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Don't mistake my comments in the other thread as suggesting I think that they should stay away from Continuity.  In fact, I believe strongly that in order for all things SW to fall in to place with one another, continuity is a must.  It adds to the depth and detail of the universe.

But (and this is a big but), my point in the other thread is that to say SW continuity has done a good job is a farce.  There have been way too many errors along the way to contend that continuity is this perfect or near-perfect entity that has kept the SW universe cohesive.  If anything, they've done a poor job of keeping the continuity working with all the errors and ret-cons needed throughout games, books, movies, comics, etc.

truer words were neva spoken and most importantly your opinion isnt gunna b biased cos u dont worship eu like its the second coming, and dont slate it like its the new black death, no offence to ppl like sab but ur opinion on this is bound to be convoluted

Well then I would wonder how you would fix the problem, seeing as the eu is still going to be used, in games and such.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Really anyone who's willing to answer the question

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The "problem" stems from authors not bothering to do a thorough background research before writing their stories, and from an editing team that misses some pretty obvious errors. So from that standpoint, it all comes down to dilligence on the part of those involved in writing the "next" book.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So you would reedit the books? Or perhaps something in the foreword about certain buildings, areas, events?

I like the idea of making a TV series that would be the defining word on the EU. That way there could be a way to "correct" errors and at the same time establish the difference between the movies and the books.

I like the idea of making a TV series that would be the defining word on the EU. That way there could be a way to "correct" errors and at the same time establish the difference between the movies and the books.

I don't think that would work, considering the vast amount of timeline material that the SW universe covers.

As far as I know, the TV series is going to be about a specific timeframe only (and signs point to the timeframe between RotS and ANH).

I really do not get into the EU. But, WHO GIVES A CARE!! For me, as long as it is Star Wars I don't care whether it is EU, the Movies, or whatever. People seem to make much ado about nothing. :angry:

As far as I know, the TV series is going to be about a specific timeframe only (and signs point to the timeframe between RotS and ANH).

Thanx I didn't know that, but I would like to see a series made about the better parts of the EU, I'm not saying that every book has to be covered, or even that it has to be live action, but I still thing it would clear up the defining elements of the EU

I hope that KOTOR 3 will be made by Lucasarts at last. They've already proved that they know TOTJ very well and are able to show it in a nice way (Clone Wars, JA)

just a small off-topic note, JA was developed by Raven Software, LA is mostly a publisher.

I just hate it when people say publishers make games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And LA recently fired most of their developing team, including apparently the one working on the early stages of KOTOR 3:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/13/news_6104775.html

LucasArts said in a statement that it was undergoing "a major restructuring of its development studio." A notice on the company's Web site outlined some of the restructuring's details, including layoffs of 31 staffers(...) in-house development will be scaled way back, because "the company will be concentrating on fewer titles"

On the project front, an informed industry source said the team attached to the early stages of development on Knights of the Old Republic 3 was let go in yesterday's layoff.

---------------------------

LA switched from developer to mostly publisher across the years.

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the EU anyway. Beyond the inconsistencies, it is mostly very poorly done. I can't speak for TotJ, but I read the first collection of (I think this is what it was called) "Golden Age of the Sith", and it was horrible. I've read 15+ of the novels and they were mediocre at best. They were entertaining, but overall not very good. In one novel, a character managed to switch genders several times within the novel...at one point it was a mother, then a father...etc. I was really confused.

So let's just say the truth, the EU is a nice "guide", but by no means is it an exhaustive resource.

Honestly I love and respect the EU, I find it odd when people say that something Lucas-approved is moot and only the movies are 'cannon'. I think that these are the people who spend tooo much of thier lives so obsessed with Star Wars that they forget to just shut up and have fun instead of picking at its every scratch and hole (I won't go so far as to say I never have, but I usually do it simpy to premote good fun, and It's never really a hostile feeling like it gets for some people). I have found my share of mistakes yes, but am I going to publically write a complaint about them? No, it's all there to be enjoyed and entertaining, if every now and then there is a mistake, nobody should care as much as they seam to, and I think it would be fine if the EU carried itself rather than being shunted and spit at because Obi-wan met C-3PO once in a comic book when "THE MOVIE CLEARLY SHOWS THEY HAVE NEVER MET!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ah those poor fanboys and fangirls :( So sad....so sad indeed.

-There is no Light or Dark. There is only Power, and those to weak to seek it!

-Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

-I find no joy in taking the life of someone that finds no value in it.

-If you only get out of life what you put into it,why not just keep it all to begin with and save a whole lot of waisted time and effort?

My God are people still fighting because of the way Korriban looks? This has gone beyond ridiculous now.

Nur: Big thumbs up for the pics, I don't really like the first one just looks like a very narrow passage between two huge and long walls, the other two with the temples look much better. Ah JA, brings back memories there. :p

ShadowFaxIV: I'm a little confused after reading your post, are you commenting against the EU protesters of how the Valley looks or against the people that don't like the EU? :huh:

Can't any side just agree to disagree and accept their own point of view as their own and other people's as thieirs?

Yeah this EU stuff has gone way too far! All these EU fanatics should find a forum with likeminded where they can revel in their knowledge of EU and how they have read every single book and studied them to detail. To me this is just ridiculous, people are putting way to much time into this. And anal doesn

Yeah this EU stuff has gone way too far! All these EU fanatics should find a forum with likeminded where they can revel in their knowledge of EU and how they have read every single book and studied them to detail. To me this is just ridiculous, people are putting way to much time into this. And anal doesn