Dueling feat or Double Weapon feat?

First time through what will you pick?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. First time through what will you pick?

• Duel Feat. +3 to hit and defense and 1.5x strength!
    • 2 weapons. 2 lightsabers all the way baby.

I use single saber, because my father did and his father before him :)

Dang nabbit, double sabers are for yahoos with there fancy zoot suits and there free parking, and there electronic shavers

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'm glad I'm not the only one liking single sabres. Back on the bioware boards, you seldom hear about someone using dueling with a guardian.

IMO, all this stuff in the prequels is just a big mistake (especially maul). If you listen to the "birth of the lightsabre" thingy on the classic DVDs, you learn that Lucas wanted sabers to be wielded with both hands, as if it was a heavy sword. Of course some tweaking appeared (such as when Vader fights a noobish Luke), but having a guy who has 3 lines in the whole movie fighting 2 Jedi with a "staff" is just bad, and was obiously made to give a "cooler" and younger image of SW. Didn't work on me.

The dual sabers in Ep 2 aren't that bad, since anakin gets owned pretty fast.

As for KotOR 2, I really hope they tweak the feats. I mean, it's not even funny. You can dual wield 2 full sabers and the penalties are still almost neglected. Staff is even worse, but you don't get the additional cristal slots.

The x1.5 Str like in DnD sounds good, except that it kinda forgets the Dex based warriors. Personally, I would up the defense and attack bonus, and possibly add some damage. It might sound a lot, but it is required for the sake of balance.

That being said, I'll play single saber for sure no matter what happens.

:) Why does everyone thing that the dual bladed weaponry idea was designed by lucas for the prequels? and furthermore why do people bash it so dang much. To my knowledge it could have been partialy based on the boe-staff, which is similar in use with the exception that it doesn't have blades and one can grab it just about anywhere they want. There probaly is some sort of dual bladed weaponry out there which is probaly more comparable, but I'm not completely sure.

Dual bladed sabers in theory would be incredibly difficult to use much less master. A saber is a near wheightless object and the blade is completely wheightless, so it makes it extremely hard to use, hense why jedi are just about the only people capable of wielding them at all. Now think about the difficulty of weilding a lightsaber with 2 blades.

KOTOR poorly portrayed things with making everything so simple and easy to use, just click a feat and there u go. But hey thats gaming for ya.

Exar Kun was supposedly the first dark jedi ever to use a dual bladed lightsaber.

Most jedi use a single saber most likely for the reason that it is so hard to master something like a dual bladed weapon. Particularly simply using it without lopping ur own head off in the process. Yoda & Duku focussed for years on single saber mastery and force mastery. Not to mention it would be rather hard for yoda to weild a dual bladed saber considering his small stature.

There are advantages to a single blade yes, but a mastery of a dual bladed weapon will probaly be more deadly, theres more to think about when using a dual bladed weapon that a single bladed weapon, one has more range of movement and more agility. The dual bladed weapon has more over all range, and better defensive capabilities aswell as the obvious dual blades which can strike more often then just one.

I use a dual bladed weapon because it looks cooler, it's more interesting, and I like the look of it.

The above is all my opinions and veiws and no offense is intended

:) Why does everyone thing that the dual bladed weaponry idea was designed by lucas for the prequels? and furthermore why do people bash it so dang much. To my knowledge it could have been partialy based on the boe-staff, which is similar in use with the exception that it doesn't have blades and one can grab it just about anywhere they want. There probaly is some sort of dual bladed weaponry out there which is probaly more comparable, but I'm not completely sure.

Dual bladed sabers in theory would be incredibly difficult to use much less master. A saber is a near wheightless object and the blade is completely wheightless, so it makes it extremely hard to use, hense why jedi are just about the only people capable of wielding them at all. Now think about the difficulty of weilding a lightsaber with 2 blades.

KOTOR poorly portrayed things with making everything so simple and easy to use, just  click a feat and there u go. But hey thats gaming for ya.

Exar Kun was supposedly the first dark jedi ever to use a dual bladed lightsaber.

Most jedi use a single saber most likely for the reason that it is so hard to master something like a dual bladed weapon. Particularly simply using it without lopping ur own head off in the process. Yoda & Duku focussed for years on single saber mastery and force mastery. Not to mention it would be rather hard for yoda to weild a dual bladed saber considering his small stature.

There are advantages to a single blade yes, but a mastery of a dual bladed weapon will probaly be more deadly, theres more to think about when using a dual bladed weapon that a single bladed weapon, one has more range of movement and more agility. The dual bladed weapon has more over all range, and better defensive capabilities aswell as the obvious dual blades which can strike more often then just one.

I use a dual bladed weapon because it looks cooler, it's more interesting, and I like the look of it.

The above is all my opinions and veiws and no offense is intended

I perfectly understand that a staff is harder to use, and has twice the amount of blades. But like you said, it's too easy to use in the game. Same thing for Jedi Academy. Since they have to keep the feats system, make it so that there are heavy penalties to use a staff. That way, it could be comparable.

Yes, the staff has more range, and the duals can strike more often, but the staff is a dangerous weapon for the wielder, and 2 sabers are hard on the balance. We saw this when anakin couldn't keep up with Dooku. In the game, however, they're exaclty like singles, except you hit more often.

I'm not saying Lucas created double bladed weaponry for the prequel, I'm saying he created the lightsaber staff for the prequels. That way, the fight would look more "epic". Well, I think (and I'm sure some people agree with me) that the Ep 1 duel is the worst. It's so artificial; there's absolutely no interaction.

The fact that an EU character once used a staff doesn't justify the fact that it's now in every "lightsaber" game. It all comes down to TPM.

Even though I would prefer a world of single blades, I understand the need of "cooler" stuff for games. I don't mind having staves in the game (especially since there's no MP, so I can just live in my own world (like my Ranger in NWN would get slaughtered by a lower level fighter with dev crits). In KotOR at least, my single saber guardian can live in peace without having to fight overpowered enemies), but I do think that some heavy tweaking is necessary. All the saber styles should be equal.

I think the best thing would be for them to force you to use u alot more feats to use double sabers, not have it be 3 more feats but more like 6 or 9

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I'm not saying Lucas created double bladed weaponry for the prequel, I'm saying he created the lightsaber staff for the prequels.  That way, the fight would look more "epic".  Well, I think (and I'm sure some people agree with me) that the Ep 1 duel is the worst.  It's so artificial; there's absolutely no interaction. 

I disagree. I thought the Ep.1 duel was the best of any of the movies (except for the novelty aspect of the Yoda duel). I thought Maul looked like a true Sith warrior who had perfected the art of the double blades and the duel between he and Obi-wan and Qui-gon showed that.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I disagree. I thought the Ep.1 duel was the best of any of the movies (except for the novelty aspect of the Yoda duel). I thought Maul looked like a true Sith warrior who had perfected the art of the double blades and the duel between he and Obi-wan and Qui-gon showed that.

I agree with this.

I mean Maul did kill a Jedi Master with that saber staff. He looked like he controlled it perfectly.

After playing through KOTOR for my 14+ time, I now lean towards 2 sabers, though I will always remain faithful to the classic single saber.

I'm not saying Lucas created double bladed weaponry for the prequel, I'm saying he created the lightsaber staff for the prequels.  That way, the fight would look more "epic".  Well, I think (and I'm sure some people agree with me) that the Ep 1 duel is the worst.  It's so artificial; there's absolutely no interaction. 

I disagree as well. I thought the duel between Obi and Jinn vs. Maul was outstanding. To me it was very nice seeing actual people dueling that fast and the fact that Obi didn't need a stunt double for the attacks as well as Qui Gon. The Yoda duel was ok but Dooku looked so fake because they did all that computer crap with his face.

I think the duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul was even better than the Yoda vs. Dooku match. Having Yoda bounce all around fighting an old man was cool because it was Yoda, but there was something about it that seemed wrong to me. Perhaps it was the editing the D Murda was talking about.

To be on topic, I prefer the single saber, but I am willing to use dual sabers. In KotOR, I never used the dual bladed saber. As a matter of fact nobody in my party used it once I was able to obtain spare lightsabers. I just didn't like the stances involved in it. Darth Maul was my only exposure to that weapon and I kind of hoped the game would show some of his stances with that blade. Holding it to the side just looked kind of lame.

I don't think making penalties on it will help, a simple feats system just doesn't seem realistic enough then again RPGs arent't the best for gameplay in my opinion. It's common in the newer star wars games because people like to use something besides a single saber which is a very old concept that has been used everywehre, seeing a dual bladed weapon or 2 seperate weapons used at once is a new thing for alot of people and it seems that they like it. All the more for variety.

I agree with the opinion above that the maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan was one of the best duals in the starwars films. Though the forcefields seemed out of place as did the pit, random forcefeilds and a pit, hmmmm what use do they serve, reminds me of a scene from galaxy quest... But none the less it was a great battle.

Ok, I guess nobody's on my side.  There seems to be a serious lack of SW purists here :)

Anyway, I'll shut up now  :p

Purists?

I'd consider myself a purist in terms of thinking the OT is better than the PT. However, that doesn't mean that I don't think the Darth Maul duel isn't the best of all the films.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You think its possilbe to have 2 double bladed lightsabers?

How about this?

I hope I never see anything like this ever in starwars, leave that to the mods and nothing else

I think the best thing would be instead of just allowing players to switch back and forth between the three styles simply by swithing weapons...make each one a feat pathway. For the single...have the lowest level requirments to go from one level to the next (allowing the player to be better than those using the other styles faster)...making gameplay easier for the single saber user (he/she will be a better fighter faster). (1st feat at lvl 1, 2nd feat at lvl 3, 3rd feat at lvl 5)

The dual saber is harder to master and more unweildy so the player should be a higher lvl when he can obtain these feats (1st feat at lvl 4, 2nd feat at lvl 8, 3rd feat at lvl 12)

The Saberstaff should be the hardest to master so it should require a higher level to get the feats (1st feat at lvl 6, 2nd feat at lvl 12, 3rd feat at lvl 18)

This will be in addition to the saber feats already in existance (the attacks, and dual weapon vs dueling). This way a player has to better optimize how they spend their feats.

Also, each saber should have its own pluses and minuses.

Single Saber: Better strength (give strength modifier) and best attack rating because it is easier to weild, hence should hit more often and hit harder. Less hits per round (only one blade). Less defense than the staff, but more than dual.

Dual Saber: Most hits per round (it easier to wield than the staff, and has 2 blades). Most Crystals (two hilts).

Least damage modifiers...its unwieldy and not supposed to be as powerful as the staff. (Those who have played Jedi Academy, the single in strong mode does the most damage, the staff is next, then the dual also has the worst defense but fastest attack).

Worst attack rating (unwieldy, but also less focus on manouverability and agility by user than the the user of the staff).

Saber Staff Best Defense (should give dex modifier). More hits than single but less than dual. More damage than dual, but less than single. Highest level requirment...and there should be a minimum dex requirment (14 or higher) because of the unweildy nature of the staff and the immense amount of agility required.

Only player with minimum proficiecy may be allowed to use the Dual and Saber staff (that is people must have the first feat in the pathway of that weapon) to use that particular weapon...otherwise they must stick to the single.