Bridging the Gap

I've given it some thought, and I've been thinking about how KOTOR I will affect KOTOR II.

In KOTOR II, you tell how KOTOR I ended. Well lets say that you decide that Reven turned dark and took control of the Star Forge. Well, there are several things that could have happened to it, and none of them are all to appealing.

A) The Star Forge is destroyed between the games. This make the first game somewhat pointless. If the Star Forge was so powerful and so important, how could a weak Republic destroy it?

B) The Star Forge is around during KOTOR II but not causing you trouble. But if the superweapon is still around and not causing you trouble, then it detracts from it's power, which makes you wonder - why did you spend the first game looking for it?

C) The Star Forge is around during KOTOR II and causing you trouble. Didn't you handle this in the first game? And if it's causing that much trouble, it would really affect the game if you said it was destroyed the first game (I say that because I don't think the game will have paths this diverse, so i don't think "C" is really going to be in KOTOR II)

Any thoughts?

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

I think it's safe to assume the Star Forge WON'T be in KOTOR:TSL. I'm pretty certain Obsidian will want to create their own "threat to the safety of the galaxy" rather than reuse Bioware's.

IMO, it's not that big of a stretch to eliminate the Star Forge from the story, even if you assume a DS ending with Revan being in control of it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

As I said before, I just thinks it detracts from the first game to have the ultimate weapon destroyed by a weak Republic that couldn't destroy it in the first game.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

As I said before, I just thinks it detracts from the first game to have the ultimate weapon destroyed by a weak Republic that couldn't destroy it in the first game.

who says the Republic destroys it? a few suggestions on this forum have already brought up stuff like perhaps these Sith Lords disputed Revan's claim as Sith Lord and fought him and destroyed the Star Forge in the process. Or Revan himself destroyed it so that no other Sith Lord could have it. Don't forget the whole "if you have knowledge of a powerful secret/weapon and you are going to die, do you pass on the knowledge?" and the Sith answer is no.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Or Revan himself destroyed it so that no other Sith Lord could have it. Don't forget the whole "if you have knowledge of a powerful secret/weapon and you are going to die, do you pass on the knowledge?" and the Sith answer is no.

You (or whoever said that) hit the nail on the head. I believe that is how the Star Forge would be destroyed if you say Reven took the dark path.

My theories about the Star Forge are simply that it is either:

A: Currently in use by the most powerful of the Sith lords who managed to take it over after Reven took off

B: Destroyed by Reven and the Republic

C: Sabotaged by Sith in their constant infighting.

Betting on C because it would make the most logical sense if Obsidian wanted something new.

TripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

This is a good question. But it's not just the Star Forge that's the problem, it's the entire Dark Ending. I just replayed the game as evil (finished it tonight), and after watching the Dark Ending again, I'm not sure how they could allow you to choose that ending.

I mean, the entire Republic fleet is pretty much gone, and the final scene shows hundreds and hundreds of Sith capital ships. So even if the Star Forge was somehow destroyed, there's still all the ships to deal with.

It seems to me that any way they could come up with to deal with this situation will feel a bit contrived.

no offense anyone, but these are discussions that have been long exhausted in the threads of the remote past. Speculations actually get tiresome in time, due to lack of information, and the sheer impossibility of anyone 'divining' the complete story, based on small local questions -which is all we're able to ask.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

I mean, the entire Republic fleet is pretty much gone, and the final scene shows hundreds and hundreds of Sith capital ships. So even if the Star Forge was somehow destroyed, there's still all the ships to deal with. That's an alternative, at least.

I'm not so sure. If there was a "civil war" among the Sith when the sith Lords turned up and opposed Revan, then if many enough went over the two sides could've had equal forces when they fought, thus most of the ships would be destroyed as it is now...

As for the Star Forge itself, I can think of plenty of things that might have happened to it. Perhaps it still exist in the Revan-dark-side-path, but Revan managed to disable it before he fled, by taking out some vital part of it or something like that, thus the Sith Lords are unable to use the Star Forge now...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

I mean, the entire Republic fleet is pretty much gone, and the final scene shows hundreds and hundreds of Sith capital ships. So even if the Star Forge was somehow destroyed, there's still all the ships to deal with. That's an alternative, at least.

I'm not so sure. If there was a "civil war" among the Sith when the sith Lords turned up and opposed Revan, then if many enough went over the two sides could've had equal forces when they fought, thus most of the ships would be destroyed as it is now...

As for the Star Forge itself, I can think of plenty of things that might have happened to it. Perhaps it still exist in the Revan-dark-side-path, but Revan managed to disable it before he fled, by taking out some vital part of it or something like that, thus the Sith Lords are unable to use the Star Forge now...

I got the impression that through the darkside the Star Forge was somehow alive. If you removed something vital, wouldnt that result in death?

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I got the impression that through the darkside the Star Forge was somehow alive. If you removed something vital, wouldnt that result in death?

I'm not sure. I think I remember that Malak said that "in some ways, the Star Forge is almost a living being"... But exactly what did he mean by "almost"? That's the big question, I think, at least if related to your question...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

I can promise you, KOTOR II will not feature the Star Forge. In order to make this idea of allowing you to choose KOTOR's ending plausible, they have to make sure that the end result of both Light Side and Dark Side endings are reasonably close to one another so they don't have to make two different games: the Star Forge is a massive obstacle in the way of that idea.

Thus, it will have suffered one of the following fates:

- Destroyed by the rogue Sith Lords in order to try and kill Revan on it, and also to remove his source of power.

- Disabled by Revan him/herself before he/she fled into exile, for reasons that will be explained. My explanation: as the computer on the Rakatan planet makes clear, the Star Forge makes already bloodthirsty people even worse, possibly even making them incapable of choosing a good strategy over a bad one if the bad one causes more death and destruction (See: Malak at Taris.) Thus, in order to retain his/her sanity, Revan destroys it.

- Destroyed by a surprise Republic attack. Unlikely, but possible.

There are other possibilites, but if I were an Obsidian Designer (and I'm not), I would use one of the above.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I can promise you, KOTOR II will not feature the Star Forge. In order to make this idea of allowing you to choose KOTOR's ending plausible, they have to make sure that the end result of both Light Side and Dark Side endings are reasonably close to one another so they don't have to make two different games: the Star Forge is a massive obstacle in the way of that idea.

besides the Star Forge fulfilled its role as the Death Star clone, and that's it; it can't be allowed to dominate the second game, which it would one way or another, if it survives.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

besides the Star Forge fulfilled its role as the Death Star clone, and that's it; it can't be allowed to dominate the second game, which it would one way or another, if it survives.

True, and this game's supposed to be mroe like ESB than anything else, or so I heard. In KOTOR 2, I think that just like the Empire had many superior advantages in their battle against the Rebells in ESB, the Sith has many superior advantages as the story begins... But for now they don't have a "Death Star"...

True, and this game's supposed to be mroe like ESB than anything else, or so I heard. In KOTOR 2, I think that just like the Empire had many superior advantages in their battle against the Rebells in ESB, the Sith has many superior advantages as the story begins... But for now they don't have a "Death Star"...

Until KotOR III... :ph34r:

manthing2.jpg

In all fairness, Darth Vader's task force in ESB was a WHOLE lot more intimidating.....and effective. :p

An armada of capital ships that can't find or destroy a single vessel can be called many things. 'Effective' is not one of them.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?