Please make KOTOR 2 longer!

Was KOTOR too short?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Was KOTOR too short?

• Yes
    • No

KOTOR 1 was around 20 hours for me.  Though it had alot of replay value I thought.

Oh and I did all the sidequests.

20 hours AND doing all the sidequests?

I didn't think that was physically possible, considering movement speeds (even with Force Speed on all the time).

One thing that should be noted is that until the patch, you couldn't actually walk in the PC version, so those using the PC actually finished the game a little faster than average because they ran pretty much everywhere.

For what it is worth, I completed the game at 24 hours the first time having done 90% of the sidequests available (I know I missed swoop racing on the annoying fish planet, because I got exiled first-IE I was Darkside). It took me merely 18 the next time through, due to having discovered the wonders of both force wave (plain abusive) and destroy droid. It's worth noting I was one of the first powergamers that realised you could not bother levelling on Taris to massively increase your Jedi levels. With suitable numbers, and using a well optimised party, you can cleave through all the combat in this game in seconds. Even Darth Malak will die to a suitably cheesed up 18/2 Consular/Scoundrel in only a few minutes.

It is VERY possible to finish this game rapidly doing most things, especially the second time around if you know the order of things. You can also max out your dark side mastery by half-way through Dantooine, and the best I've heard of is just after leaving Taris.

So in short, I would DEFINITELY say the first game was too short, and I'd say it was because most of the challenges in the game were just a tad on the easy side.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

For what it is worth, I completed the game at 24 hours the first time having done 90% of the sidequests available (I know I missed swoop racing on the annoying fish planet, because I got exiled first-IE I was Darkside).

The swoop racing is considered part of the actual quests? Hmm, then I guess to this day i still have never finished the game completely. My computer was too stuttery (is that a word?) to be able to do the swoop racing, so I never even bothered after Taris.

Doing all quests and such, after I'd got the hang of the game, I usually finished it in 22 to 25 hours range.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For what it is worth, I completed the game at 24 hours the first time having done 90% of the sidequests available (I know I missed swoop racing on the annoying fish planet, because I got exiled first-IE I was Darkside).

The swoop racing is considered part of the actual quests? Hmm, then I guess to this day i still have never finished the game completely. My computer was too stuttery (is that a word?) to be able to do the swoop racing, so I never even bothered after Taris.

Doing all quests and such, after I'd got the hang of the game, I usually finished it in 22 to 25 hours range.

It depends, I wouldn't myself, but you do get some extra events and such when you do so. If you think of the game as completing everything you can, then the swoop races are an important part of that I guess.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

• 3 weeks later...
IMO. Going to the same place, doing the same thing, just with a different undertone is NOT replay value. It's redundant. In the end, KOTOR 1 left me wishing they had, in fact, simply made Morrowind with lightsabers. Heck, Bethasda included a consumer-friendly editing program so you could make your own quick and easy mods to the game. Maybe someone could just take that and make a Star Wars conversion. Okay, I kid. But the point is, KOTOR 1 lacked any real depth. KOTOR 2 needs to be done so that the two force sides and other things actually alter your progression, making you do totally different things. Then you could go back and play another way and experience new places, people, events. Otherwise, I see no point in not uninstalling a game after it's finished. But that's just me.

I agree with you there about there being very little replay value. I was expecting a much bigger difference if you played the dark side than what i got. Thankfully the glitches on Xbox helped to create more gameplay options. (There are gamesave devices that have even more options but i won't go into that here)

After awhile though i realized in this day and age that some people want the shorter and more compact storylines. I think Morrowind:GOTY edition has to be one of the greatest deals in the history of gaming and has provided me with 10 times the amount of playing time as Kotor but i admit that not everyone has the time or the patience to play a vast game like GOTY.

I guess it comes down to preference - Shorter but sweeter or Longer but really vast. I wish that Kotor2 could be alot bigger but i understand the technical issues that Obsidian would have to face so i'm content (for now lol). Hopefully, XboxNext will use disks with enough space for Kotor3 to be alot bigger. (Wishful thinking?)

It took me about 44hs to complete KotOR the first time, trying to do as many side-quests as possible, and i thought it was long enough, considering how the story developed along the line. Ofcourse i wouldn't mind the TSL being longer, FFX took me 130hs to complete (Thanks to the blitzball mini-game).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

SWKOTOR's length felt right the first two times I played it because I was engrossed in the story (playing LS and DS). But subsequent playings, it just felt too short. I managed to finish the game, doing all the minigames, visiting Yavin, in about 20+ hours. I guess I felt it was too short bcoz I wanted more character interaction time with my NPCs!

Do you think that TSL will we get to control our NPCs during their subquests without the PCs interference like when Juhani/Jolee had to break the others out of the holding cells on the Endar Spire? I think that would add to more gaming time.

It took me about 1

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A well calculated delay may highten the suspense if done right.

But in my world, "replay value" doesnt exist with RPGs. I have far too good memory to play them again, even years afterwards.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But in my world, "replay value" doesnt exist with RPGs. I have far too good memory to play them again, even years afterwards.

Same here, except it's the same for me with all games, I have a stack, but I'm sick of them all now. It's like a drug, I need a steady constant supply of games to keep me sane.

*On Topic*

KotOR was fine the first time I went through it, but it just gets shorter and shorter with each play through, and there are only so many play through's before you start thinking to yourself:

Hmmm I wonder what he's gonna say?

"Lord Malak was most disspleased when he heard you had escaped Taris alive........." <_<

• 3 weeks later...

The replay value for KOTOR is decent, but not fantastic, i have only fully beaten the game once to be honest (im not as Hard core as the 300 hour folk, but Kudos im impressed), and i only got up to the second or third worlds on my newer games (one reason i stopped on a new game was because i couldnt stand being dark side and i jsut lost interest even though their are some cool benefits and powers in dark side).

But i digress, I did not find the replay value to be OUTSTANDING because after solving the puzzles and knowing the plot, I lost some of my drive to play, and found myself playing only because i wanted to beat the game differntly (i.e. 2 sabers vs 1 vs DOuble edged, as well as consular, guardian, sentinal).

This is not really a bad thing, but After trying the game with the different classes and fighting styles i did not have the drive to complete the game; merely test it out.

and i hope u mean between 22 and 34 HOURS not minutes GoA...

EDIT: when i say i only fully bea the game once i mean that i beat teh game teh first tiem completeign about 90 % of the side quests (which i personally consider fully beating it sicn ei have low attetion span) After teh first beatign i jsut ran throught the game as fast as possible, had no interest in reading the plot or side quests, and only played because i was a differnt character.

P.S. The game is really not that short, i think its almsot the right length one more world would be ok but after that i woudl say no, the game is already fairly complex and has many a side quests and different options to keep many gamers playing for an average of 25 hours per play. A short game woudl be around 15- 20 hours.

THE FIRST TIME I PLAYED KOTOR I DID ALL THE SIDE QUESTS, I WAS LIGHT SIDE, THE DIFFICULTY WAS HARD, AND IT TOOK ME 65 HOURS AND I REPLAYED KOTOR 8 TIMES.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

THE FIRST TIME I PLAYED KOTOR I DID ALL THE SIDE QUESTS, I WAS LIGHT SIDE, THE DIFFICULTY WAS HARD, AND IT TOOK ME 65 HOURS AND I REPLAYED KOTOR 8 TIMES.

How did it possibly take you 65 hours to beat?

Even when I sat down and played hand after hand of pazaak and talked to every single person I could possibly talk to, the most it ever took was about 35 hours. That included all sidequests, exploring all areas, and playing pazaak with most of the pazaak players.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I guess I'll have to do it, Influence, you totally are no good and ah......... you probaly smell bad, possible like a fart

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

KOTOR 1 was around 20 hours for me.  Though it had alot of replay value I thought.

Oh and I did all the sidequests.

20 hours?????? Did you even read the dialogue?

You certainly couldn't have actually listened to it all....especially while doing all the sidequests.

20 hours???? On your first try????

You are the uber-gamer that has transcended into gaming lore.

I zipped through the game, without doing all the sidequests, and still took 30 hours.

I played through the game in just over 17 hours and I still managed to do around 75% of the side quests (not my first play through). Oh and NO I didn't listen to the dialoge I just skipped through it.

I think if they made TSL around 50 - 60 hours long it would be a length. I would just feel a bit more rewarding when it was finished. I know after I played KOTOR the first time I was excited until I realized that it had only taken me 38 hours to beat, I guess was kinda looking for having it take me more like twice that length.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I think the play time you spent on kOTOR is quite good! B)

Although I wouldn't mind 1-2 more worlds.

But the thing that definitely needs improvement is the movie you get after finishing the game. It was just showing some celebrations, a little more info on what the character did afterwards would be cool IMO!!!

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Yes the game seemed a bit short and simple to me..Find starmaps and kill Malak..WOW that is gonna be a tough one...I hope in KOTOR 2 there will be more to the game then just running from planet to planet trying to find the main bad guy...I hope there are no boring worlds like Manaan...I hated that world to death....