What type of engine is Project X using?

Does anyone know what engine they are using?

Did OE create their own engine, or are they using a pre-existing engine?

Is it first person view or third person isometric perspective?

3D or 2D pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D models?

Just curious if anyone knew, so I can get an idea of what gameplay would be like.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Well I think it can't be first person view, since Project X is an RPG game. Don't know about the backgrounds and models though, sure would like to know that as well.

While I am not particularly fond of first person perspective (Outcast is an Exception) RPGs kan be done in first perspective with rather good results. (morrowind, Deus Ex, etc)

I want it in isometric 3d with the ability to zoom, pan and lock the camera in different views.

If the game is in fact KotOR 2, it will probably be using the same engine, most likely just a tad upgraded.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well, if it's anything BUT KOTOR2 I hope it to be an adjustable 3D based isometric view engine. Like have clear zoom and 9 different camera angles or something like that!

Phil

NWN's engine would be suitable, if it had tons of tilesets and way better character uh...."avatars"

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Well, I haven't played KOTOR yet (but I will), and I'm not a big fan of the NWN engine, which I thought they used for KOTOR. So, I'm hoping it's something else. But, I can accept the engine if need be.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

KotOR used what was clearly a modified NWN engine. I hope they can do better on "project X"

If by modified, you mean "barely recognizable base code," yeah modified.

Ok, heavily modified :)

I';m with Karzak. I cna't speak for the "base code'; but it surely feels and acts like the Aurora Engine except with a vastly weaker rules system; but better graphics. It's too bad having a strong rules base is more important than having better graphics. Though; I personally liked KOTOR more than the NWN OC it had quite a few weaknesses.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I';m with Karzak. I cna't speak for the "base code'; but it surely feels and acts like the Aurora Engine except with a vastly weaker rules system; but better graphics. It's too bad having a strong rules base is more important than having better graphics. Though; I eprsonally liked KOTOR more than the NWN OC it had quite a few weaknesses.

I liked KotOR WAY better than NWN OC, but you're right... And yes, it does 'act' like the NWN injine.

Agreed. I would like to see a better engine than NWN or KotOR. THe pics I saw of the Jefferson engine were pretty impressive and I would like to see a CRPG using an engine similar to that. Lets keep first person view and over the sholder out of the next game.

By the way Deus Ex was a Shooter with RP elements, not a CRPG.

KOTOR's engine can't be directly compared to J's because we're looking at characters/items much more closely compared to the much smaller J things.

Remember the blown up characters on the VB start screen weren't much better compared to KOTOR's fare.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Only on the surface, Karzak, but if you take a look at he behind the scene coding you will find it quite different.

Yea, easy to say, so get me a copy of the source code of both and I can check for myself.

Otherwise, from what can be observed they are very similar versions of the same engine, the only major difference is the removal of the modding/online play.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

You can get a decompiler from starwarsknights.com, the source code is very different from that of NWN, if you do any moding you will realize this

The method of modding isn't that dependant of the source code. If you haven't doen a review of both engines source code then you don't realy know, do you?

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

hmmmpff, f*ck all the 3D engines...the best RPGs used some kind of izometric engine, you know, fallout, infinity games...... all the 3D sc*m is useless...dont care about system req., the most important thing is gameplay and thus in NWN, KOTOR (cause is is multiplatform game/ controls etc.) is very hard to find...

i wish obsidian would bring the noise with some kind of 3D izometric RPG...

i really do...

simply dont want to forget about JEFFERSON... :ph34r:

I also thought the isometric view was way better and above everything else on the market. But then along came Deus Ex (which, by the way, is a CRPG, if you want it to be), Gothic and Morrowind and changed my opinion about game engines. Now every RPG I play feels unfulfilling to me, because the immersiveness I experienced in the Gothic games just can't be touched by a pre-rendered 2D world.

I seem to be quite alone in this, but I really hope their next project is a full 3D-game, featuring a huge world with physics and all. If it's possible to play it as a FPS (like Deus Ex was), fine! That works for me too! Two games in one must be better than just one, right? :blink:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!