Modern music has made a turn for the worse

I used to be heavily into industrial/EBM/IDM whatever, and still have a ton of CDs that I never listen to but can't quite bear to get rid of. When I pretty much got out of that area it was becoming nauseatingly stagnant and dull, and no better than mainstream crap in terms of creativity and innovation that it was 10-15 years ago.

Hah! Me too! I can't give them away, or throw them away, or sell them, but I never listen to them anymore. They're all organized and packed away, but, for me, Industrial died 10 years ago, and listening to them would be like digging up my grandfather.

While watching Gravity Kills, I saw the Keyboardist switch between drums, keyboard and guitar seemlessly while dancing like a madman on the stage. The keyboard was on this odd bundie apparatus, the guitar he wore, and he danced over to the drums and chimed in occassionally.

That guy (whose name currently escapes me) was awesome. Are you referring to the 360 degree device that he would spin his keyboard around and play it at odd angles, or some other device?

i listened to that stuff when i was a bartender... good rhythms for getting into a groove... particularly when you're in the weeds (buried beyond belief with more customers than humanly possible to serve with two people, let alone one).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Well guys, the worst is yet to come. Paris Hilton now has her own CD and record label. <shudders>

Paris sizzles at party

launching her new CD

It's the singing life for Paris Hilton, who toasted her new CD on her very own record label at a party in the Hamptons last night.

The hotel scion and TV reality show star celebrated the launch with her beau Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys.

"The reason I started Heiress Records, my own record company, is to have control of my own company," she said. "I'm looking to discover other young singers and to promote new talent."

"The Simple Life" player counts herself among that crowd.

"Although I love acting, I always knew in my heart, since I was a child, that I wanted to be a singer. My new CD ("Paris Is Burning") is a combination of Blondie and Madonna with a little bit of hip hop thrown in. I love writing songs and I wrote most of the tracks."

But can she sing them?

Her producer, Robb Boldt, said she sounds just fine.

Hilton looked good, too, sashaying down the pink carpet at PlayStation 2 in Bridgehampton in a Tracy Feith dress and about $1 million worth of bling bling from Jacob the Jeweler.

Rachel Hunter and Lizzie Grubman were on hand to be dazzled.

LINKAGE

war, death, and drugs. WTF? Sing about something happy please, like the blooming of dandelions in the month of may, or a sale going on a JC Pennies down at Atlantic City featuring midriffs for only $19.99!

...why? First off, there's plenty of happy music. The Flaming Lips have a huge amount of songs that are utterly blissfull.

Second, what does that mean? Hmm? We all know blooming dandelions are all fine and dandy, but what does that tell the listener? The way I see it, when someone's listening to your music, you have the stage, so why not use it to teach something to that person? Metallica's song 'One' is utterly depressing, but it gets the point across: War is bad. What's the point of blooming dandelions? Okay, they bloom. Hmm.

...why? First off, there's plenty of happy music. The Flaming Lips have a huge amount of songs that are utterly blissfull.

Second, what does that mean? Hmm? We all know blooming dandelions are all fine and dandy, but what does that tell the listener? The way I see it, when someone's listening to your music, you have the stage, so why not use it to teach something to that person? Metallica's song 'One' is utterly depressing, but it gets the point across: War is bad. What's the point of blooming dandelions? Okay, they bloom. Hmm.

The world is a better place because dandelions bloom. Think about that for a second. Hmm, if there were war, would the dandelions still bloom? Maybe they would, saying that nature cares not for the petty conflicts of men. Or maybe the dandelions would wilt and die, showing our petty conflicts are killing the very world we stand on.

Don't even get me STARTED on sales at JC Pennies and Zen Buddhism.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

The world is a better place because dandelions bloom. Think about that for a second. Hmm, if there were war, would the dandelions still bloom? Maybe they would, saying that nature cares not for the petty conflicts of men. Or maybe the dandelions would wilt and die, showing our petty conflicts are killing the very world we stand on.

Don't even get me STARTED on sales at JC Pennies and Zen Buddhism.

Well, IMHO, it would depend on what type of weapons were being used in said war. If we were using any types of WMDs, Napalm, etc. I'd say that it's pretty safe to say those within range would die off. But if it was a strictly guns an tanks type of war, I'd say the dandelions are pretty safe. Unless of course they get caught under the treads of the tank....Hm. ^_^

The way I see it, when someone's listening to your music, you have the stage, so why not use it to teach something to that person?

that's not really it... music, and art in general, is about expressing your feelings. if this is what they're feeling and thinking, this is what they sing about. musicians that think about dandelions sing about them (and probably indulge in waaay too many hallucinagens...). musicians that are worried about political things sing about them.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I tend to like musicians that have strong lyrics, strong music and strong messages. I like hard music not pop, short for popular, most people don't know that, pretty sad.

My two favorite bands are also some of the most political bands I have ever heard, and the fact that they rock is good stuff too. People that don't like modern progressive music will become dinosaurs, avoid that and embrace innovation. Be like Ewen McGregor and choose life, leaving Punk Rock and Iggy Pop in the past where the belong.

I bought the new Skinny Puppy album and think its awesome. I have heard a lot of people say that this is not Skinny puppy, but their dinosaurs. Skinny puppy has evolved, and with it so has their chaos on voice distortion, doing some stuff I have never heard before. That is what muscicians should do instead of rehashing the same stuff they were doing 20 years ago. Hence, why I like the drugged out Beatles way more then the teenie bopper beatles.

Well guys, the worst is yet to come. Paris Hilton now has her own CD and record label. <shudders>

Paris sizzles at party

launching her new CD

"The reason I started Heiress Records, my own record company, is to have control of my own company," she said. "I'm looking to discover other young singers and to promote new talent."

I really wish people would stop giving attention to this vacuous twit.

I surmise that Paris Hilton doesn't even know what a "record" is, and that she only used the word as part of the company name because that is what she has seen used by other (legitimate) record companies.

I note that Paris Hilton manages to exemplify all three of the standard definitions for "vacuous". Even the quote referencing swine eyes seems to fit like a glove.

vac

Skinny Puppy have a new album?!

The Greater Wrong of RIght. I think it came out last month.

EDIT: Its getting really good reviews, the only marginal reviews are from heroine addicts that are still living in the past in their own self angst, just kidding...

I haven't listened to them in years. I'd imagine the album follows in the footsteps of The Process?

It sort of does in the sense their voices are much less distorted. However, its not like the Process in quality. I think its a whole heck of a lot better. Probably a bit sell-outish, but not nearly as bad as NIN.

Some people say they miss the Goettel, but for crissakes that dude just did the beats! The band has always been ohgr and cevin and I think this album really shows that they have matured musically. Actually I just read a thing about guitar's, what guitar's? Well one of Skinny puppies greatest songs, TIN OMEN, had guitar's. Like I said if you appreciate good industrial music, you might want to preview it.

BTW, its a lot harder, IMO then Frontline Assembly, Civillization.

Actually I just read a thing about guitar's, what guitar's? Well one of Skinny puppies greatest songs, TIN OMEN, had guitar's. Like I said if you appreciate good industrial music, you might want to preview it.

BTW, its a lot harder, IMO then Frontline Assembly, Civillization.

I've been a fan of SP for ages; I've got nearly everything they've put out (I'm sure I'm missing some esoterica somewhere) and have seen them live twice, as well as going to one of Download's first shows. So, I'm certainly a fan. I really liked The Process, and ever since I heard the song Ode To Groovy I'd been wanting Ogre to do unprocessed vocals.

I'll have to pick up the new one and check on on the myriad other side projects, see what's going on there (I had heard rumblings of a new Tear Garden album).

Is there also a new Back & Forth? I remember reading quite a while ago that another installment (#6 I believe) was coming out.

newlogo.gif

So, am I therefore to assume that Ritalin is defunct, since ogre is back with Skinny Puppy? Also, is Frontline Assembly still making albums? The last that I heard of them, they had morphed into Equinox and had released "Holon".

Oh, yeah, tri--I'll probably be castigated for this, but IMO Trent's best album was "Broken". TDS was a bit too pop, PHM was too personal, and The Fragile was just too bad.

I think Ritalin was inteneded only as a one-off. Rarely does Martin Atkins dedicate himself to an ongoing project unless it's Pigface or his record label.

Bill Leeb will keep FLA going until he drops dead, I suspect. Never cared for them that much. Tactical Neural Implant was good and they had some decent songs here and there, but I always thought they were quite over-rated.

newlogo.gif

FLA came out with Civillization earlier this year. Fairly mild, I can work to it so thats good, kind of ambient. Hell truth be told, I can work to anyting... As for the side projects, the have so many its hard to keep track, I think he will be doing more of everything.

I do not know much about how records are produced, but only cevin and others were part of the actual production of the album, even though the music was skinny puppy, which is now just ohgr and cevin? :blink: Anyhow, what I think I mean to say is that I think Ohgr will have time to do his other things.

And yeah, Broken was Trents best work.