Modern music has made a turn for the worse

Linkin Park's actually pretty innovative, but too often they get listed with all the pop fluff, because their music is a sort of hybrid. :p

I listen to almost all music, with the exception of pop, and most rap (I'll listen to a little Eminem once in awhile, but that's it). <shrugs>

Linkin Park is a very talented band. I wouldn't call them innovative. In the 80's the Beastie Boys wanted to combine rap and rock. Aerosmith and Run DMC combined the two. And many artists since then have waded in those waters. Linkin Park is just good at it.

It's like crediting Eminem for being innovative. He's not the first white rapper. He's just good at it, as opposed to many that came before him (Snow, Vanilla Ice, etc.)

Linkin Park's actually pretty innovative, but too often they get listed with all the pop fluff, because their music is a sort of hybrid.  :unsure: 

I listen to almost all music, with the exception of pop, and most rap (I'll listen to a little Eminem once in awhile, but that's it).  <shrugs>

Linkin Park is a very talented band. I wouldn't call them innovative. In the 80's the Beastie Boys wanted to combine rap and rock. Aerosmith and Run DMC combined the two. And many artists since then have waded in those waters. Linkin Park is just good at it.

It's like crediting Eminem for being innovative. He's not the first white rapper. He's just good at it, as opposed to many that came before him (Snow, Vanilla Ice, etc.)

This is true, it seems to me they ad several other genres at the same time though. (techno, etc.)

Metallica will always have a place that is held dear to my heart though. S&M WAS truly innovative. I don't think anyone had done anything like that before. B)

I can recall Guns and Roses and Smashing Pumkins both mixing classical orchestras with rock music before Metallica. Metallica just did a 2 CD set of it.

Metallica once was a great band, and S&M is their best recent release. But I consider Metallica to be the band that once was.

Linkin Park is a very talented band.

I don't know about their guitar/bassists... :o In one of their songs the guitarist actually needs to take out three of the strings so he can play the riff (only 3 strings are used). And the riff is about as hard as... start to fade to black? :p

The three most talented things I have ever witnessed a guitarist do:

Early Metallica footage: Cliff (now deceased) is on stage, and plays the guitar directly into the speakers creating feedback, but in a good way. It's one of the most unique sounds I've ever heard a guitar create, and is beautiful in it's own way. Hendrix used to do the same thing apparently, but I never saw Hendrix live since I'm only 26.

I saw a guitarist for Jonatha Brooke break a string in the middle of a song. He proceeded to rip the string off, and moved his hands at lightning speed. He continually retuned the guitar so he could play on 5 strings and not miss a beat.

While watching Gravity Kills, I saw the Keyboardist switch between drums, keyboard and guitar seemlessly while dancing like a madman on the stage. The keyboard was on this odd bundie apparatus, the guitar he wore, and he danced over to the drums and chimed in occassionally.

You call that screaming out obsceneties? Obviously you don't listen to death metal. I'd post some lyrics, but that would get me banned. Just search for, for example, Cannibal Corpse. Let's note that I don't listen to this total and utter crap, but I know because a lot of my friends do.

Anyway, I listen to whatever catches my ear. This reaches from Modest Mouse to The Beatles to Nirvana to Rammstein to Pearl Jam to Hammerfall to Taking Back Sunday to The Red Hot Chilipeppers. If I like listening to it, I'll listen to it. It's mostly grunge, nu-metal and I lost my girlfri- I mean emo, though.

On a side note, rap is crap. I don't know how anyone could listen to it. But I suppose a lot of people say that about my music.

Early Metallica footage: Cliff (now deceased) is on stage, and plays the guitar directly into the speakers creating feedback, but in a good way. It's one of the most unique sounds I've ever heard a guitar create, and is beautiful in it's own way. Hendrix used to do the same thing apparently, but I never saw Hendrix live since I'm only 26.

cliff played the bass, not guitar. most bass officianados would do bodily harm to you for referring to the bass as a guitar (even a 'bass guitar').

his solo, btw, was probably anesthesia: killing pain, which was on kill 'em all.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

See, what the hell is with these modern album titles of songs named "Kill 'em all" or "I have a gun and I must shoot" or a plethora of similarly violent and suggestive titles?

I mean, is there nothing else to sing than capping the other guy with a glock, yo?

I find this message on today's society both depressing and demoralizing.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

a.) kill 'em all is not modern. well, it was released over 20 years ago...

b.) the "message" in the phrase kill 'em all is not about "capping the other guy with a glock, yo." it's a metaphor for "damn, we slayed 'em at the concert tonight. the fans were totally into us!"

c.) metallica's next three albums actually took on a socio/political significance that most people miss... particularly war, death penalty and drug addiction.

ya gotta know a bit about what you're referring to when you condemn something whitemithrandir.

taks

a.) kill 'em all is not modern. well, it was released over 20 years ago...

b.) the "message" in the phrase kill 'em all is not about "capping the other guy with a glock, yo." it's a metaphor for "damn, we slayed 'em at the concert tonight. the fans were totally into us!"

c.) metallica's next three albums actually took on a socio/political significance that most people miss... particularly war, death penalty and drug addiction.

ya gotta know a bit about what you're referring to when you condemn something whitemithrandir.

taks

a.) okay

b.) okay.

c.) war, death, and drugs. WTF? Sing about something happy please, like the blooming of dandelions in the month of may, or a sale going on a JC Pennies down at Atlantic City featuring midriffs for only $19.99!

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

not everyone should blow smoke up our collective arses just because it's "nice" or "fluffy." we can't just turn our heads and pretend there are issues that the media, music industry, film industry, et. al shouldn't be covering. music serving as a socio/political platform is not just a trend of the new age. music, nay art in general, has always tried to make a statement about society (at least the artist's view of society).

though i don't necessarily agree with many of metallica's viewpoints, i fully appreciate the fact they're willing to make such statements with their music. note, too, they aren't out making stands like the hollywood elite... their approach is much more subtle and broad, i.e. war is bad, death penalty is bad, drug abuse is bad, etc.

taks

I can recall Guns and Roses and Smashing Pumkins both mixing classical orchestras with rock music before Metallica. Metallica just did a 2 CD set of it.

Deep Purple's Gemini Suite is, to my knowledge, one of the earliest (1970) and most interesting attempts at rock-orchestral fusion.

Anyhow, there's a rather strong anti-hip-hop bias on these boards. I, for one, find most hip-hop and rap far more interesting than the metal that predominates most of these discussions. It's a matter of cultural background-- you prefer the style of self expression that speaks the language of the culture you're most familiar with (I'm probably equally distant from both hip-hop and metal culture, so I'm only going by personal taste).

What the hell happened to music in the last few years? Now it's all bang boom WAHALALALLALLALALALAL :: Scream :: bimdouche bimdouche dernnnnananananana :: sensual female cry :: yo let's bang some ho's yo got them pimps out in da back yard, yo :: random guitar solo ::

If you do not like what the artists have to say, why not listen to Jazz or Classical. No distastful lyrics, just good music.

I lost a small bit of my respect for Metallica when they cut their hair, then lost more respect when they released LOAD, then lost most of my respect when Lars made an @$$ of himself with the whole issue about Napster, then lost ALL respect for (the band that used to be) Metallica when they released St. Anger (or St W@nker if you wish...)

Bands I listen to: MOTORHEAD, W.A.S.P, Judas Priest, Slayer, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Tankard, Manowar, Running Wild...no coincidence that most of these bands are older than 20 years ;)

van halen just released another single, btw... i liked it. it sounds like old eddie!

load was a load. reload was, well, the same load as before, just served with a different garnish. st. anger was... well, i suppose i didn't get it as lars stated in an interview.

ahhh judas priest. unfortunately, i cannot help it, but yes, most of halford's songs did suddenly take on a whole new perspective after he came out...

taks