Casual forum atmoshere?

roshan

It really just depends on the users - I'd really like to keep the casual atmosphere of the old boards, but some people just like to stir up trouble.  Hopefully that will be limited.

to give us some perspective, which old boards do you reference... seeing as how these is the first obsidian boards? there was the old ip boards that had many incarnations, and then there was the bis boards... and then a return to ip. personally, we thought that slyle and decamber did a pretty good job of things, but each board incarnation seemed to be treated different.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

hmmm

we not have many problems with the bis board before merger. there was some occasional situations that gives one pause, and occasionally the moderation seemed to have all the predictability of a lightning strike (e.g. the mysterious man banning, and the fallout that ensued,) but for the most part, as long as people maintained the board pg rating and avoided direct insults of ip/bis folks, things ran smooth 'nuff.

good luck... you seem to have work cut out for you following this weekend test run.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

except in the "i want to be a mod" thread, the athmosphere here was good, so far, in spite of the obvious lack of moderation (that now has ended. hi seraphim!). so, i'm convinced, these are going to be most pleasant boards. :)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

"except in the "i want to be a mod" thread, the athmosphere here was good"

am not sure that the obsidians would agree. as they said already, they want a teen rating. please note the following:

"Golden rule: Be nice, stay on topic, and everything will be fine."

am not sure what board you has been watching, but seraphim has been following this one it seems,

"Point taken regarding the 'old english', however I don't feel they're too restrictive. In fact, I don't think they're restrictive enough based on this weekend's activity, but that's not my call."

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of harsh rule (*cough*sorcerers*cough) and keeping this place friendly, enjoyable and most important casual with a bit of debate (the moderator thread notwithstanding) is something I'd definitely agree with. In reference to the 'sorcerers', I would say that it's hard to have a casual atmosphere with 'the police' breathing down your neck half the time.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Hey, the 'I want to be a mod" had a great atmosphere! Don't knock it until you get involved. It was good, clean wholesome fun. There was very little - if any - foul langauage - and we usually polite even as we argued. No one got hurt either so bleh.

These baords will rock!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Guest Mistress
I'm all for it. I'm not a fan of harsh rule (*cough*sorcerers*cough) and keeping this place friendly, enjoyable and most important casual with a bit of debate (the moderator thread notwithstanding) is something I'd definitely agree with. In reference to the 'sorcerers', I would say that it's hard to have a casual atmosphere with 'the police' breathing down your neck half the time.

I'm not a fan of harsh rules either. Sometimes they are necessary though - depends on what the owners want from the boards, what restrictions they need to apply based on the purpose of the boards and their audience, and the community. Some communities are fairly self-policing and can deal with any issues fairly well without too much intervention, others tend to need more of a guiding (slapping?) hand, as I'm sure we have all seen.

I think that from a community point of view, it is fairly important that the element that have known eachother for a long time, don't bring too much leftover baggage and niggles to the table. Bitching and picking is always going to happen, but bringing it in from previous boards and from other existing ones isn't too much fun.

It would be nice to see things stay fairly friendly, or at least pretty civilised, without admin/mods having to get heavy handed, as was the case at the end with the BIS boards and the IPLY boards.

It should be quite and calmfor some time unless any obvious trolls comes and knocks on the forum. It is not like anyone have anything to be upset about, and there is a great optimism that we will get some realy great game sometimes in the futur. :D

Yeah, take out all the cool peoples while the second coming destorys the armys of evil. When the smoke clears us cool peoples can come back and s**t, it'll rock.

I don't think censoring everyone with your horrible gaming preference will be very laid-back. Just silly. You horrible little man.

>*

Yeah, take out all the cool peoples while the second coming destorys the armys of evil. When the smoke clears us cool peoples can come back and s**t, it'll rock.

I don't think censoring everyone with your horrible gaming preference will be very laid-back. Just silly. You horrible little man.

If they break the rules of the forums they should be warned. If they break the rules of the forums severely, then they should be banned. Has nothing to do with my preference in games or anything else for that matter. There are rules of conduct on these boards and those rules need to be enforced. Enough said.

Not really. I find things like comparing Fallout Fans to the Taliban could be classed as a flame-bait. This is just the same as flaming somebody.

On the Interplay boards Fallout fans were treated like scum for no reason, I don't see why we should be treated the same here. I also dislike arrogant Interplay fans acting superior and somehow above the mods and shift the blame on Fallout fans.

shrugga. So long as it's fair, forum politics aren't usually intresting.

>*

Yeah, because we all know FO Fanatical fans don't act all superior. And, the Interplay baord emmbers had every right to treat the FO fanataics as they did as all I gonna say is that it isn't like the FO Fanatics treated the BIS board members even better. Just read a couple of threads at RPGCodex to see my opint. Every single thread that mentions the BIS boards uaully tends to ends up at 'BIS Board Members are retarded or some other insult". Yeah; but they have no reason to dislike the FO Fanatics. And, it's really no better at NMA.

To put it another way; Theyf eel that Shadow Paladin is the 'poster child" of the BIS Forums. Go figure. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

In line with the whole 'clean slate' proposal by Feargus Urquhart, I would like to recommend that Shadow Paladin NOT be made 'poster child' of the Obsidian Entertainment forums. That's the this place needs.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

I've had to point 2 people to the F.A.Q. in threads, and 3 more via PMs... thus far these boards are turning out to be a battleground, not casual.

Hopefully Seraphim (whoever, and wherever you came from :)) will keep things in line. Casual is fine, but having POOPERSCOOPER, "casually" throw the word "f*****" about doesn't make the forums casual, it makes them crass.

Not really. I find things like comparing Fallout Fans to the Taliban could be classed as a flame-bait. This is just the same as flaming somebody.

On the Interplay boards Fallout fans were treated like scum for no reason, I don't see why we should be treated the same here. I also dislike arrogant Interplay fans acting superior and somehow above the mods and shift the blame on Fallout fans.

shrugga. So long as it's fair, forum politics aren't usually intresting.

They weren't "treated like scum for no reason." The reasons were very good, and do not need to be discussed again. It wasn't the casual fans who were insulted either, at least none that I ever noticed.

I'm of the opinion that treating someone like scum because you feel you have a good reason is really no different than dropping to their level. Just not necessary.

Course, I know nothing of that situation because I didn't care for those boards and stopped following them after about 1 week. So my opinion needs to be taken with a grain of salt. :)

I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Yeah, because we all know FO Fanatical fans don't act all superior. And, the Interplay baord emmbers had every right to treat the FO fanataics as they did as all I gonna say is that it isn't like the FO Fanatics treated the BIS board members even better. Just read a couple of threads at RPGCodex to see my opint. Every single thread that mentions the BIS boards uaully tends to ends up at 'BIS Board Members are retarded or some other insult". Yeah; but they have no reason to dislike the FO Fanatics. And, it's really no better at NMA.

To put it another way; Theyf eel that Shadow Paladin is the 'poster child" of the BIS Forums. Go figure. ;)

Maybe that do have something to do with little SP and some other IP fanatics that actualy can be down right rude and insulting in discusions, and the less said about SP's arguments in these discussions the better. :rolleyes:

Anyway, a lot of the bad posts on IP have to do with some choices IP have done, like pulling the plug on FO3 and make bad console FO games instead, so the way things are on IP board hardly should be any supprise considering the feedback they have had during the years.