New Planet...plus 2004 release rumor

Well feb is still winter hehe... darn. Btw I don't see any rush... Bioware has provided Obsidian with alot of the base work. The engine is already there. The things they are doing are minor upgrades to that engine. So I don't think they're rushing. Maybe they're just getting the hang of working with the engine and it is speeding up development... remember this is wishful thinking! Whateva if KOTOR is released this year nice... if early next year... nice!

Let me tell you story.

When KOTOR came out for PC, i posted my prdection for the release of KOTOR 2. I used the following assumptions

1)Xbox 2 would come out by 2006 so the game would have to come out before then if the 'buy a xbox for kotor 2' theory would work'

2) It would be financily sucessful.

3) Ign had posted the article, which was right after all.

I therefore said that the game would come out early 2005. It made sense. However other gamers had a cry bout that, it was all romours and for somereason needed the 'offical' statment.

Now KOTOR 3 will come as a realease title for xbox 2. Microsoft want it. Lucasarts can see the $$$ fir it now. A engine for the game is already underway most likely.

The moral of the story is that you dont always need offical annoucements to know if and when a game will come out. Just use logic and its all works out.

Will Bioware or Obsidian even consider working on a third KOTOR?? I know Bioware wants to do some work on their own "original" properties but KOTOR was such a great accomplishment... Obsidian I think wants to do it's own stuff too. Maybe a third developer will pick it up?

Well feb is still winter hehe... darn. Btw I don't see any rush... Bioware has provided Obsidian with alot of the base work. The engine is already there. The things they are doing are minor upgrades to that engine. So I don't think they're rushing. Maybe they're just getting the hang of working with the engine and it is speeding up development... remember this is wishful thinking! Whateva if KOTOR is released this year nice... if early next year... nice!

I remember saying the same thing to myself before Fallout 2 was released.

On release, Fallout 2 should have been renamed Dude, where's my car?

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Just thought I would take a moment to weigh in on this before too much guessing gets out of hand. It is true that the release date of the game may be in flux. However, it has no impact on when we at Obsidian would have to be done with our part. Our deadline to turn the game in for final approval is the same either way. It's more of a matter of Lucas Arts getting their part done in time (music, voice overs, marketing, etc.), as well as a number of other factors that determine when they think it would be best to release the game.

So a change in the release date will not affect the time we have to work on the game on our end. Just so everyone knows. :rolleyes:

-Akari

Maybe he has a beefy crystal in that saber, making it pack some more 'oomph'.

Dxun

This moon is one of four natural satellites of the planet Onderon, Dxun was the closest to the planet, and the home of the Dxun Devourers and Dxun Beasts. In a precise balance of nature, the Dxun moon orbits extremely close to Onderon on a regular basis. Its orbit is so close that the atmospheres of both bodies begin to mix, allowing the vicious beasts to migrate from the moon to the planet. For this reason, it was known to the Onderonian natives as the "demon moon." At the order of the ancient Jedi Master, Arca, a tomb for Freedon Nadd and his Sith artifacts was built on the Dxun moon of Mandalorian iron.

"You have offended my family, and you have offended the Shaolin temple." Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon

Just thought I would take a moment to weigh in on this before too much guessing gets out of hand. It is true that the release date of the game may be in flux. However, it has no impact on when we at Obsidian would have to be done with our part. Our deadline to turn the game in for final approval is the same either way. It's more of a matter of Lucas Arts getting their part done in time (music, voice overs, marketing, etc.), as well as a number of other factors that determine when they think it would be best to release the game.

So a change in the release date will not affect the time we have to work on the game on our end. Just so everyone knows. :rolleyes:

-Akari

Ok, good. Glad to hear it. ;)

Don't mean to doubt the folks at Obsidian, but I'm always leary when I hear a game has conveniently been pushed up to hit the Holiday season.....

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

So a change in the release date will not affect the time we have to work on the game on our end. Just so everyone knows. :)

-Akari

Slight whiff of publicity stunt by Lucas Arts imo:

'Lets change the release date from february to 'winter' - in fact not changing the date at all, making it more ambiguous. Those silly fools think it may be out by Christmas. HA! Let's rub our hands at all the press coverage we're gonna get and all the publicity also. Oh, might be worth releasing a few screenshots at the same time too, to get people excitable...'

:unsure:

On a more constructive note... the screenies look pretty good! The robes are certainly looking good, on both dark jedi and the PC. Some of those characters look truly evil. Battling the the evil dark jedi triplets looks fun.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/608/608569/img_2173946.html

OH, Is that a laser sight in one of those piccies, or just a laser blast??

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/608/608569/img_2178765.html

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I thought it was a nice preview so I thought it'd do no harm if posted again:

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/starwar...sithlords.phtml

Two pages and a few screenshots. Quite a lot of facts, although they may be known for all you fanatics already :unsure:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I thought it was a nice preview so I thought it'd do no harm if posted again:

http://www.actiontrip.com/previews/starwar...sithlords.phtml

Two pages and a few screenshots. Quite a lot of facts, although they may be known for all you fanatics already :p

Woah... nice stuff. It's nice to see a greater range of party members.

Oh, but my main point is: who is that person wearing the Star Forge robes?

A two or three month swing isn't huge. So long as the game is finished properly, I don't care when it's released. And while I think there is going to be a big push for console and PC sales during the holidays, I don't think sales for the game would be greatly increased by a Holiday release.

The game is hyped enough that it will sell well at launch regardless. Waiting until just after the holiday increase of console sales however could boost sales of the game.

Whoa, those screens from Dxun look pretty ugly to say the least. But as already stated, the new innovations that Obsidian implements in KotOR II are the animations, not the graphics.

And about the releasedate, when was the last time a game got finished prior to its original deadline?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually, the "fat" lightsaber phenomenon - I noticed this often in KotOR I. when a lightsaber light is added to a light behind it, the two lights sort of blend. I'm guessing if we saw that in real time, the waterfall would be something of a light source because of how white it is. Just a guess, but it sounds realistic.

I'm glad you weren't right, Ivan :unsure:

That says to me, though, that they're closer to release than I originally thought... which could be bad or good, no way to know. I guess at this point it doesn't mean much of anything, and I'm sure the dev's are sweating their asses off right now :)

To respond to craftsman's comments:

With the low resolution and the small screeny size, it doesn't say much about how the game will turn out. Besides, wouldn't it make more sense to add the finishing touches later, after the game is pretty much established with what they want in? I can imagine that would put off a lot of bugginess.

The res doesn't look any worse than the KotOR I X-box shots, though. Just less fuzzy and more pixellated. To me.

I thought Dxun's art version was really breathtaking; I hope the Devs make it just like that.

When I saw the lightsaber, I just assumed it was some sort of buff. Maybe for higher strength/damage. :shrug: