The All Things Political Topic

Harris should pick Joe as her VP.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...We've never had someone serve as VP for more than two terms, right? I'm pretty sure we haven't...

(e): Nope: there have been seven VPs who have all tied for longest time in office at 2,922 days.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Harris should pick Joe as her VP.

That will be the next big question. Whitmer or Buttigieg? 

It will be interesting watching Fox News try and balance the sexism, racism, and homophobia without being blatant about it.

Whitmer has said she wants to see out her governorship.

Buttigieg for that extra wokeness, I guess? I do think the Dems' only play is to draw as much attention as possible to drive up turn out.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well done Biden. Its definitely the right decision in the best interests of the US, better late than never

Now it will be interesting to see who will be the Dems  new candidate

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

During times of crisis in the Roman Republic, the Senate would often appoint dictators to take supreme and direct control of the Republic, allowing them to bypass the bureaucracy, in-fighting, and intrigue typical to that time, springing the Republic into immediate and cohesive action in order to avert disaster. Once the crisis had been resolved and the dictator having admirably performed their duties, they would willingly give up their power and return to whatever position (or lack thereof) that they held before, allowing normalcy to resume. It was a system that worked well and saved the Republic upon numerous occasions...until it suddenly didn't. It takes incredible civic virtue to willingly give up power, a quality in dire lack across the world today, and I think there's a certain irony in the wildly corrupt Supreme Court having just enshrined absolute power into the position of President while the one currently occupying the position willingly relinquishes their hold upon it. No matter the impossible political climate and the issues of the day that he faced, may history remember Joe Biden fondly...especially if it results in our Sulla never returning to power.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

16 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

didn't court also decided that court can overrule agency like fda

regressive is not harsh enough word to describe the situation

Yes, the courts have license to overrule agencies and how they interpret the laws and statutes that give those agencies powers and duties. But given that Joe Biden currently is legally empowered to imprison and kill all of the judges that might disagree with how he might want those laws and statutes interpreted, I would place his authority as being higher than theirs...at least until such a time as that idiotic ruling is reversed. The scary thing about that ruling is that, depending on those who come into the office of President next, they may act to make sure that the ruling cannot be reversed. It's a Pandora's Box that no sane or stable country should ever open, which we clearly are not.

Edited by Bartimaeus

So this decision by Biden is by far the right one  and it doesnt really matter who the next Dem candidate is because the real concern was Bidens mental acumen which  was both a distraction and reality. You cant have the leader of the most powerful and influential country in  the world suffering from  the mental deterioration that Biden has, its not fair on him and its not fair on the USA

So this election will go back to what has characterized much of  US elections since 2016 and this doesn't apply to those people that take elections seriously. This is just what the attention will be on 

•  identity and personality politics
  • hyperbole and exaggeration from many media houses on both sides around policies and statements from the other side 
  • promises and commitments from candidates that wont be fulfilled or realized 
  • stupid and childish memes that will dominate SM

But it WONT be about Bidens mental state and thats a good thing if the Dems are serious about winning 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

During times of crisis in the Roman Republic, the Senate would often appoint dictators to take supreme and direct control of the Republic, allowing them to bypass the bureaucracy, in-fighting, and intrigue typical to that time, springing the Republic into immediate and cohesive action in order to avert disaster. Once the crisis had been resolved and the dictator having admirably performed their duties, they would willingly give up their power and return to whatever position (or lack thereof) that they held before, allowing normalcy to resume.

To be fair "the system" usually came with some specific goals as well as a time limit (typically 6 months or until crisis resolved, whichever one happened first). If needed for more than 6 months, it would have to be bestowed by the senate again for another period up to 6 months...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

One hates to be that guy (or do I?) but Sulla actually did resign his Dictatorship too. After rewriting Rome's 'constitution' and slaughtering a bunch of people etc, but he did resign, and retired to his villa to, well, give Tiberius, Caligula, Nero, Commodus and Elagobalus a few ideas for fun ways to pass the time before dying of liver failure; he was after all a well known Conservative politician. The issue wasn't really the office of Dictator, that just gave Sulla (et al) a facade of legality. His authority ultimately descended from the point of a pilum, not from the law. The root issue was that the Marian Reforms had changed the troops in the Roman Army from being small landowners loyal to Rome to being mercenaries loyal to their general. Which had to happen since said small landowners had basically been genocided by a string of impeccably bred incompetents feeding them to various hordes of wandering Germans. In an amazing coincidence a bunch of patricians got to own huge amounts of land after buying up parcels off destitute widows...

Anyway, got to give Biden credit for calling it quits; tempered somewhat by it being easier if you're going to lose if you keep running.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

You cant have the leader of the most powerful and influential country in  the world suffering from  the mental deterioration that Biden has, its not fair on him and its not fair on the USA

Well, same applies to Trump. If you listen to any of his speeches, this guy is just rambling random gibberish. Shame he won't just drop out, since he needs to be president to not go to jail.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Well, same applies to Trump. If you listen to any of his speeches, this guy is just rambling random gibberish. Shame he won't just drop out, since he needs to be president to not go to jail.

Sure Trump rambles and loves exaggerating and peddling fake news

But you not seriously comparing Trumps and Bidens mental acumen? Trumps vastly more mentally cognitive than Biden

Trump Im sure will end up like Biden but he is not at that level now 

John Milton 

41 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Anyway, got to give Biden credit for calling it quits; tempered somewhat by it being easier if you're going to lose if you keep running.

Yes and I want to give Biden credit and kudos for this decision. He has preserved his legacy and he served his country well in many ways for decades. He should be proud of his political career 

History IMO will remember him in an overall  favourable way 

John Milton 

10 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

unless project 2025 work and term limit are removed

wouldn't jail still await 4 year later

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/05/trump-project-2025-disavowal/

@Pidesco

We had this debate a few weeks ago and I said that the Heritage Foundation does not represent the official policies of Trump or what policies he believes in 

Im not sure if you aware this has been confirmed 

" As we’ve been saying for more than two years now, Project 2025 does not speak for any candidate or campaign,” the statement said, noting the project represents more than 110 conservative groups planning for the next GOP president. “But it is ultimately up to that president, who we believe will be President Trump, to decide which recommendations to implement.”

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Sure Trump rambles and loves exaggerating and peddling fake news

But you not seriously comparing Trumps and Bidens mental acumen? Trumps vastly more mentally cognitive than Biden

Trump Im sure will end up like Biden but he is not at that level now 

p0Bddbm.png

Dunno if he is vastly more mentally cognitive.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

is promising to perform biggest deportation in history after elected in a speech doesn't count as align with project 2025

pretty sure it was in there

the vp choice also claim to want end no fault divorce

was that in project 2025

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

As we’ve been saying for more than two years now, Project 2025 does not speak for any candidate or campaign,” the statement said, noting the project represents more than 110 conservative groups planning for the next GOP president. “But it is ultimately up to that president, who we believe will be President Trump, to decide which recommendations to implement.”

And you think Trump will never be persuaded to follow through with their "suggestions" ?

50 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

is promising to perform biggest deportation in history after elected in a speech doesn't count as align with project 2025

pretty sure it was in there

the vp choice also claim to want end no fault divorce

was that in project 2025

Thats not the point Im making, Project 2025 and the Heritage Foundation  has certain policies that are aligned to what Trump believes because its  a Conservative thinktank. Its  like liberal\left thinktanks have policies that the Dems support 

Its already been established that trying to deal with the migration crisis is one of them, this is not a policy that Project 2025 created 

Im saying the manifesto of Project 2025 and all its points is not the same as the policies that Trump believes in or supports 

John Milton 

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

And you think Trump will never be persuaded to follow through with their "suggestions" ?

No Im not saying that, I have said he does believe in certain of there policies because some of the policies are Conservative views

But Project 2025 is a 900 page document and I can guarantee he is not going to implement everything they think should be implemented

So we can be  specific about what you think he may or may not align with?

John Milton