Music: Sharing and Listening - Where words fail, music speaks

ShadySands

19 hours ago, majestic said:

The German original is a retelling of David Bowie's Space Oddity, down to having the same Major Tom. With the reference to a guiding light the entire song can be seen as a metaphor for death (i.e. letting go). Major Tom is pretty dead, I would argue, or at the very least he is dying. Literally (it is all but explicitly stated in the text) and allegorically (journey into the unknown with no apparenty return while still "coming home").

I knew of the Bowie connection (and the later Bowie addiction allegories or some such). But I have the same issue w/Bowie's song - it's not actually explicitly stated what goes wrong, like a rocket exploded or another astronaut witness, it's simply implied/assumed because no one can contact him. In Schilling's version there's even the line about how no one knows he's still alive - which I took to be a "he's still alive floating somewhere, but not for long".

Maybe Major Tom is a Star Child.  :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

In Schilling's version there's even the line about how no one knows he's still alive - which I took to be a "he's still alive floating somewhere, but not for long".

The German version has a line "mir wird kalt" which means I'm getting cold. Like I said, it is all but explicitly stated. Pulled by a light through space, feeling colder and colder. Yeah, no, that's dead with a capital d. :p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

The German version has a line "mir wird kalt" which means I'm getting cold. Like I said, it is all but explicitly stated. Pulled by a light through space, feeling colder and colder. Yeah, no, that's dead with a capital d. :p

Every English lyric site only says floating/drifting/weightless, no mention of cold/pulled thru space etc. Hm. So, an inaccurate English translation = the destruction of even the remote survival dreams for poor ol' Major Tom? ;(

Maybe he just forgot to put on a sweater!

Ah well...that was my original belief anyway. So unless he became a Star Child - RIP!  :lol:

• Haha 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A UK export that was played a lot during my younger years. I never had any of her records (not sure why really), but the radios (over)compensated for that I suppose...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Oldies but goodies... 😎

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Watching Abba: In Concert (1979) in a live stream of our national public broadcaster. It being a somewhat strangely cut documentary style concert movie nonwithstanding, ABBA sure was a great group for mainstream music. Then again, back in the 70ies and 80ies mainstream music wasn't as awful as it is today. :p

edit: they streamed (and, well, broadcast) a number of concerts today, including Bruce Springsteen and the Bee Gees. Pretty nice for running in the background.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

17 hours ago, majestic said:

Watching Abba: In Concert (1979) in a live stream of our national public broadcaster. It being a somewhat strangely cut documentary style concert movie nonwithstanding, ABBA sure was a great group for mainstream music. Then again, back in the 70ies and 80ies mainstream music wasn't as awful as it is today. :p

edit: they streamed (and, well, broadcast) a number of concerts today, including Bruce Springsteen and the Bee Gees. Pretty nice for running in the background.

Nice! I recorded from BBC America an ABBA docu-concert some months ago. Maybe it's the same one.

I also recorded from a PBS broadcast a couple of days ago Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance" reunion concert from 1997. :)

Been listening to alot of Prodigy lately, so youtubes algorithm finally found me something nice;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D54jlarArrQ

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Me: "Oh, I remember this song from when I was a little kid." 
*off-key loud*
"SHE WAS BLINDED BY THE LIGHT! WRAPPED UP LIKE A ... dushin? ... ANOTHER ROAMER IN THE NIGHT, BLINDED BY THE LIGHT!"
"SHE WAS BLINDED BY THE LIGHT! WRAPPED UP LIKE A ... *du-mumble* ... ANOTHER ROAMER IN THE NIGHT...."

Me: "What the heck is he saying anyway? Probably 45 years hollering the 1st phrase but mumbling that one word. The internet exists now..."

Me: .... "Oh."

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2024 at 2:40 AM, Gorth said:

A UK export that was played a lot during my younger years. I never had any of her records (not sure why really), but the radios (over)compensated for that I suppose...

I said it once and I'll say it again. As a Tori Amos fan. I'm shocked I didn't caught onto Kate Bush quicker since they are so similar. Also

Why no wrestler of any stripe that I know uses Tori Amos as a walk out music baffles me. This Slayer cover proves that I would totally have used it if I didn't stop growing at 5'3"

• Like 1

A song from episode 11 of Frieren - Beyond Journeys End. Plays when the villain is defeated and a large pile of previously animated "puppets" (mind controlled people, bound into servitude in life and beyond death) now needs a decent burial, last rites and farewells by their relatives etc.

edit: from same Anime... the "action music", also composed by Even Call. Often plays during intense combat sequences. The sound track is generally good (imho)

• 2 weeks later...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra