Food Thread - Those that eat

Keyrock

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 1:08 PM, ShadySands said:

Been making sandwiches for lunch. I only eat lunch a few times a week at most but I've been enjoying the sandwiches I make and so has my wife. She always steals a half. 

#TeamMiracleWhipandSpicyBrownMustard

Yes, I vastly prefer the whip to mayo. Come at me bro, drone strike me IRL. 😛

You are dead to me... for the Miracle Whip part. I'm with you on spicy brown mustard.

There's a big BBQ/party coming up this weekend at my sister's (if the weather allows, it's looking like a potential wash out). The price of admission is to bring a side, so I decided I'd bring coleslaw, because what goes better with BBQ than slaw? The answer is nothing. Anyway, I hadn't made slaw in quite a while so I decided to do a trial run or two beforehand, not that slaw is hard to make. The first slaw I made was a pretty standard sweet-ish slaw, the kind you get from KFC. The only non-completely standard ingredient I added was apple, but that's not unusual for a sweet-ish slaw. It came out fine. Today I did another trial run and decided to go zesty instead. I did away with the apple and the sugar, the only sweet ingredient is carrot, and I added white onions, radishes, and chives, plus I increased the pepper content significantly. It came out awesome, probably the best slaw I've ever made, and it hasn't even had a chance to sit in the fridge overnight. This is the recipe I'll use for the batch for the party, provided it happens.

Disclaimer: No Miracle Whip came within 500 yards of the slaw during the making process.:-

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying out local hipster brews and one of them is "Pickle sour ale' which sends most confusing and mixed messages into my brain. On one hand, it's very refreshing and breezy, so good on a hot evening, on the other...well, it tastes like pickle marinate, i.e. the very thing you are giddy to find and drink next morning after heavy party. 😵‍💫

• 4 weeks later...

I got a Pepsi the other day and took a sip and was absolutely disgusted. I thought I had gotten diet by mistake but no, here they drop the sugar a bit and add some different sweeteners. I had to toss it. It's rare that we drink soda these days but I figured I was on vacation so why not live a little.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Ugh, Dr Pepper also has sucralose and ace K here.

Last night we went to a restaurant called Noa, I believe, and I had steak tar tar which was absolutely delicious followed by miso black cod that was also the bomb dot com. I only got to eat half of the cod because my sonathan was eyeing my plate so I shared it with him. The restaurant was great, right on the water looking out across to downtown and old town Tallinn.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

The local grocery stores and super markets sell shrink packed rubber mats. Looks like rubber mats, feels like rubber mats, tastes like rubber mats (don't ask). Problem is, they sell those rubber mats pretending they are "naan bread" 😖

Decided to try my hand at making my own for my curry chicken... cut a few corners by buying a herb mix to add to flour, yeast and Greek yogurt. The first few were for the rubbish bin, badly burnt, but eventually I got the hang of it. Making them deliberately "small", because I'm a single house hold and the leftovers have to fit in a container in the fridge 😝

The gross looking stuff in the large pot is just the curry, having added tamarind puree and coconut milk, but not stirred it yet (watching the naan bread on the pan like a hawk, needs flipping every 30 seconds to avoid burning)

The end result was decent enough thought 😋

meoIzQg.jpg

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein