I have to admit... I am dissapointed by the interview news.

Tnecniw

24 minutes ago, Achilles said:

My recollection of the evolving thought process sounds something like, "we're not going to make part 3 until we understand why part 2 didn't sell" -> "we're not going to make part 3 until we feel like working on another Pillars game". I suspect that the latter will happen eventually, but only after the pain of the former subsides a bit.

Some leading devs of Deadfire stated on Twitter that they would be up for it - about a year ago or so. I guess if Microsoft gives a thumbs up we might actually see something like PoE3 (maybe a bit smaller) - Xbox Gamepass needs games! :) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

30 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Some leading devs of Deadfire stated on Twitter that they would be up for it - about a year ago or so. I guess if Microsoft gives a thumbs up we might actually see something like PoE3 (maybe a bit smaller) - Xbox Gamepass needs games! :) 

I also wonder how integral Josh and the rest of the Deadfire team are to the possibility of a Pillars 3 as well. Many of them were (and still may be) involved in developing other games, be it Pentiment, Grounded, Avowed or The Outer Worlds 2. I reckon we won't know for a while what the status on a Pillars 3 is whether there's plans on making one or not.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

2 hours ago, Wormerine said:

He did indeed say "very profitable".

Well, Obsidian, where is my PoE3? 😆 No excuses now.

2 hours ago, Torm51 said:

I was surprised when I read it too lol. Since the narrative for so long was that it wasn’t. Let’s go POE 3!! 😛

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Actually the game broke even after 18 months. It seems the game kept selling after that. Great. For all its faults PoE2 deserved better than it initially got.

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

My recollection of the evolving thought process sounds something like, "we're not going to make part 3 until we understand why part 2 didn't sell" -> "we're not going to make part 3 until we feel like working on another Pillars game". I suspect that the latter will happen eventually, but only after the pain of the former subsides a bit.

1 hour ago, Torm51 said:

100% agree.

50 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I would ADORE the idea of a PoE3.
If they came out like tomorrow and announced "Yeah, we are working on PoE3" or something I would instantly forgive EVERY single thing about Avowed.
Because then I would simple say "Yeah, that is an ARPG set in Eora, not directly relevant to the PoE series. That can exist on its own"
I would adore if we got a Pillars of Eternity sequel, an ending to the triology...
Where we maybe could have some grander endings?

Maybe something in the vein of, if you play a wizard for example you join the Circle of Archmagi.
If you play as a druid you form your own circle.
Grand "finishing" pieces of the game. You know? :)

I am just saying... PoE2, Deadfire confirmed a huge profit. As well as having built up a fanbase continuiously over the years since it has been out. (Hundreds of streams, hundreds of thousands of sales...)
I am sure they 100% could make it into a profit with the right marketing, and timing.

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

I guess if Microsoft gives a thumbs up we might actually see something like PoE3 (maybe a bit smaller) - Xbox Gamepass needs games! :) 

Or maybe Baldur’s Gate3 will do very well, and Microsoft will say: “Oi Obsidian, could you do for us a top down AAA Pillars of Eternity game?”

ah, one can dream. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Or maybe Baldur’s Gate3 will do very well, and Microsoft will say: “Oi Obsidian, could you do for us a top down AAA Pillars of Eternity game?”

ah, one can dream. 

Hopefully.
I can't stand most other CRPGs honestly... because they try way too much to just be DnD.
And that results in a clunky "random" system that just feels very "meh" to play.
While Pillars just felt as if they managed to perfectly boil down the elements into a great CRPG, smooth, quick, efficent.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, algroth said:

I also wonder how integral Josh and the rest of the Deadfire team are to the possibility of a Pillars 3 as well.

It sure seems like Josh Sawyer wants nothing to do with this series anymore, and given the amount of work he poured into it I can't blame him.

18 minutes ago, the_dog_days said:

It sure seems like Josh Sawyer wants nothing to do with this series anymore, and given the amount of work he poured into it I can't blame him.

I don't know. He worked on the Pillars TTRPG rules in his free time after Deadfire's release.

I haven't seen anywhere else about this game being solo only, except for this article (which is the only source so far).

This makes me sad as rumours of co-op have been around for some time, since a job opportunity for online multi-player developer was spotted on Obsidian careers.

Also, being a long time Obsidian fan, it's even more sad. These guys made terrific RPG games with co-op enabled in the past. 

Some of the most amazing RPG games out there feature co-op: divinity, Solasta baldurs gate, neverwinter nights, icewind dale etc etc

Skyrim together is another example, despite being a mod 

I just watched Obsidian part 1 documentary and you see those guys love playing together. What happened??? Avowed could be great if we could opt to play with friends 

Edited by rafoca

The online multiplayer developer could have been a new position on the Grounded team to be fair, since they also had a position for first and third person combat animator, which could also be Grounded.

Also, I note the co-op RPGs you mentioned are mainly top down, tabletop style games. I don't deny that those are suited to co-op play, but it seems obvious given their D&D roots. A more action oriented, story driven, first person RPG would not benefit from co-op in my eyes. Even though I've enjoyed myself, I've never been invested in the story of any co-op game since my mates are always there to pull me out of the experience by generally dicking around.

Edited by UrbaNebula

I don't think changing the game to first person view would make it less appealing in co-op. Most co-op games I've played are actually first person. 

The focus on story usually is that thing people say it's not fit for co-op, but I just shown it doesn't make sense. 

As for your mates, I totally get it. But it's the same thing when you try to play dungeons and dragons tabletop: it's about whom you play with. 

I finished divinity 2 in 3 players co-op and had a blast! 

Oh! And I definitely recommend Outward in co-op as well! Very fun game

Edited by rafoca

1 hour ago, rafoca said:

The focus on story usually is that thing people say it's not fit for co-op, but I just shown it doesn't make sense.

Well, no. From games you mentioned only Baldur's Gate1&2 has focus on the story.

There have been roumors flowing around that Avowed was meant to have coop feature, but it was scrapped when the game was rebooted. All very vague and unconfirmed so don't take it as a fact.

I am more than happy with Avowed being singleplayer. I really don't want another Redfall.

Don't won't to be too hostile, but I think you will find most of Obsidian's established fanbase to be resistant to the idea of coop play. Their games have been traditionally a singleplayer, story rich affairs, and that's what I am here for. Coop is all good (Larian makes excellent coop RPGs) but it is a very different experience. As such, I didn't care much for Divinity: Original Sin 1&2.

Edited by Wormerine

If it would be a multiplayer online game I wouldn't play it. I very much prefer single-player games - but if it had optional co-op (or hooks for modded co-op) I wouldn't mind of course.  

Edited by Boeroer

5 hours ago, rafoca said:

I finished divinity 2 in 3 players co-op and had a blast!

Well yeah, I've played it a number of times with one or two other players and we DID have a blast. Just don't ask me (or them) to recount any story beats or name any characters. We skimmed the dialogue and basically fast tracked to the fights or just murdered everyone we encountered.

• Like 1