Random video game news... RNG says "Nope"

Azdeus

Legal Eagles take on the OGL 1.1 for anyone interested;

Even if you're not particularly interested, it's eyecandy 🤤

• Thanks 8

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 9/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, Wormerine said:

Huh… once it out, could someone do that to Thief1&2, Deus Ex and Systemshock2, please.

What a wonderful turn-key resource for stealing game assets, and creating fake in-game videos. :(

*Indisputably useful, fun, and neat, but it will definitely be abused.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:
critical role finally speak about the ogl situation

pretty pathetic statement

It's about as much as one can expect since they're probably contractually bound and/or under NDAs

Edit; Or rather a non disparagement clause.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

6 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It's about as much as one can expect since they're probably contractually bound and/or under NDAs

Edit; Or rather a non disparagement clause.

that is the excuse blind supporter are using

yes it is pretty obvious they try to say they support third party publisher and not wotc

no that is far from enough when millions sub to dnd beyond because of them

they are the one with real power against wotc

and they still read ad for dnd beyond last week

did they read the ad this week or will they for the next 2 month or entire campaign

while everyone else is shouting as loud as they can to get anyone they can find to unsub

22 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

that is the excuse blind supporter are using

yes it is pretty obvious they try to say they support third party publisher and not wotc

no that is far from enough when millions sub to dnd beyond because of them

they are the one with real power against wotc

and they still read ad for dnd beyond last week

did they read the ad this week or will they for the next 2 month or entire campaign

while everyone else is shouting as loud as they can to get anyone they can find to unsub

I would love to see them set Critical Role on fire, it'd be awesome, but the suit that'd follow would ruin the lives of the people behind it.

They prerecord from what I know, and it's likely they have a deal that forces them to read those ads.

I don't know if there is any contractual clause that would forbid them from encouraging people to unsub/not watch their content, but that'd also likely be shooting themselves in the foot. We'll know if they release any new books and see if it says OGL 2.0 in the back, or Orc.

36 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I would love to see them set Critical Role on fire, it'd be awesome, but the suit that'd follow would ruin the lives of the people behind it.

They prerecord from what I know, and it's likely they have a deal that forces them to read those ads.

I don't know if there is any contractual clause that would forbid them from encouraging people to unsub/not watch their content, but that'd also likely be shooting themselves in the foot. We'll know if they release any new books and see if it says OGL 2.0 in the back, or Orc.

they prerecord that is why it is called session from last week

critical role made a 11 million kickstarter 2 years ago

if they stand against wotc rally the dnd community like so many hoped they can easily get far more by asking for fan support

instead they are leading they blind follower astray right now

taking dnd beyond money and read their ad while the entire community fighting for its existence

how is this not going to cause a civil war within dnd community when unite against wotc are needed to most

Edited by uuuhhii

13 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

they prerecord that is why it is called session from last week

critical role made a 11 million kickstarter 2 years ago

if they stand against wotc rally the dnd community like so many hoped they can easily get far more by asking for fan support

instead they are leading they blind follower astray right now

taking dnd beyond money and read their ad while the entire community fighting for its existence

how is this not going to cause a civil war within dnd community when unite against wotc are needed to most

You really ought to read through their statement again, it's as much of a "**** you wotc" as you can give without breaking a no disparagement agreement. I don't know the truth of the statement since I don't watch critical role, but they've even changed terminology to ones not found in dnd. It doesn't really matter that they managed to do an 11 million kickstarter years ago, they've probably used up alot of that money, and what is left likely isn't enough to go up in a legal battle against a billion dollar company.

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

You really ought to read through their statement again, it's as much of a "**** you wotc" as you can give without breaking a no disparagement agreement. I don't know the truth of the statement since I don't watch critical role, but they've even changed terminology to ones not found in dnd. It doesn't really matter that they managed to do an 11 million kickstarter years ago, they've probably used up alot of that money, and what is left likely isn't enough to go up in a legal battle against a billion dollar company.

again it is pretty obvious they try to say they support third party publisher and not wotc

everyone can read that

and it is pathetic they can only say that

obviously they used that money to make the cartoon

but the point is if community are willing to give 11 million for a 6 episode show how much are they willing to pay for a war against wotc

a company can not lose more in court for more than its worth

even if they lose the entire company they have no trouble getting million and start a new one in days

the whole they need to think of the employee excuse also didn't work

all that statement show is they are more afraid breaking contract than they care about dnd community

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1428-a-working-conversation-about-the-open-game-license

another statement from wotc

still sound like they are going after 1.0a

update 

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1432-starting-the-ogl-playtest

yes they are going after 1.0a

https://gizmodo.com/critical-role-matt-mercer-marisha-ray-opendnd-dnd-ogl-1850019716

still very weak statement from critical role

Edited by uuuhhii

Just another bad JA game...

Wait, they have Ian Currie? Am I feeling a glimmer of hope? 

Ian Currie is a game changer. He created JA2. After Sir-Tech closed down, he ended up going over to Turbine and worked on Lord of the Rings Online for over a decade. Those are the two games I consistently go back to over the years. So maybe this new JA has a chance of being great. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 2

is it running on Unity? Looks exactly like Wasteland 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"