The All Things Political Topic - Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you

Elerond

10 hours ago, rjshae said:

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it no longer matters. The orange troll deserves to die forgotten.

Maybe he'll fade from the collective memory together with twitter...

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

Maybe he'll fade from the collective memory together with twitter...

Gorthfuscious thats a terrible thing to suggest, how are you going to find out when  your favorite celebrities had a bad hair day or what treats they fed their Miniature Poodles?

Twitter is  critical to our survival as a society, remember before Twitter we use to use  smoke signals as way to understand people's personal and arbitrary opinions...I dont think we can go back to those days?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Elerond said:

Here elections are null and void if less than 50% of people vote.

Do you think that Russia, Iran and North Korea have democratic and fair elections as they do have elections where people get to vote and person with most votes wins the election? And do you think that Russian referendums on areas that it conquered from Ukraine were fair and democratic and showed real will of people when result that they want to join Russia was option that got most votes?

Elections in countries that are  free and fair should be  considered credible. Its not the fault of the outcomes if people dont vote

I dont consider  Russia, Iran or NK countries where elections are free and fair?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 11/20/2022 at 3:35 AM, BruceVC said:

Did you read the link? How is wearing a Blue Lives Matter shirt fascist leanings?

How is firing someone for Twitter Nazi comparisons fine but when someone else says the same thing about Trump supporters they not fired?

The article mentions real cases in the US of this inconsistency from the private sector. And  laws already exist in the private sector for  protection of   race, sex, and religion so why not political views?

Phrases like 'blue lives matter' and 'all lives matter' didn't exist until the phrase 'black lives matter' started to be used to talk about how black people were frequently killed by police without repercussions. Both phrases are intended not to try to highlight the plight of 'all' or 'blue' lives, but as a direct reaction against a group of people grieving that their lives are seemingly not valued as much as others around them.

One key difference between Pedro's comments and Gina's is that Trump is a racist person who made a number of racist remarks and attracted a disproportionately large number of racist followers. Among his supporters were:

Two men who beat up a Latino immigrant while saying 'Donald Trump was right.' https://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/16/us/trump-supporters-immigrant-beating/index.html (Trump's response was that his supporters were very passionate.)
Men who rallied shouting 'Jews will not replace us.' https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-protest-white-nationalist.html (Trump said there were very fine people on both sides.)

David Duke https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/1/31/neo-nazis-and-white-supremacists-celebrate-trumps-sotu

The Daily Stormer https://www.salon.com/2018/01/16/white-supremacists-to-trump-welcome-back-we-still-love-you/

Usually when people talk about conservative viewpoint being 'persecuted', it means something like 'when I express my horrible opinions, people criticise me.' Pedro's comparison is apt, Gina's is misguided at best, intentionally dishonest at worst.

Side note, and I am relatively confident that this will have been explained to you in detail before, but the concept of 'freedom of speech' refers only to the freedom from legal consequences from your speech. It has nothing to do with how a private company reacts to what you choose to say. A private company is allowed to use what you say to determine if your values align with their own, and that is as it should be. If someone decided to express their 'political opinion' that vaccines are a conspiracy run by a cabal of evil Jews who also control the weather, it should be totally fine to fire that person. (And it is.)

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Phrases like 'blue lives matter' and 'all lives matter' didn't exist until the phrase 'black lives matter' started to be used to talk about how black people were frequently killed by police without repercussions. Both phrases are intended not to try to highlight the plight of 'all' or 'blue' lives, but as a direct reaction against a group of people grieving that their lives are seemingly not valued as much as others around them.

One key difference between Pedro's comments and Gina's is that Trump is a racist person who made a number of racist remarks and attracted a disproportionately large number of racist followers. Among his supporters were:

Two men who beat up a Latino immigrant while saying 'Donald Trump was right.' https://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/16/us/trump-supporters-immigrant-beating/index.html (Trump's response was that his supporters were very passionate.)
Men who rallied shouting 'Jews will not replace us.' https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/12/us/charlottesville-protest-white-nationalist.html (Trump said there were very fine people on both sides.)

David Duke https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/1/31/neo-nazis-and-white-supremacists-celebrate-trumps-sotu

The Daily Stormer https://www.salon.com/2018/01/16/white-supremacists-to-trump-welcome-back-we-still-love-you/

Usually when people talk about conservative viewpoint being 'persecuted', it means something like 'when I express my horrible opinions, people criticise me.' Pedro's comparison is apt, Gina's is misguided at best, intentionally dishonest at worst.

Side note, and I am relatively confident that this will have been explained to you in detail before, but the concept of 'freedom of speech' refers only to the freedom from legal consequences from your speech. It has nothing to do with how a private company reacts to what you choose to say. A private company is allowed to use what you say to determine if your values align with their own, and that is as it should be. If someone decided to express their 'political opinion' that vaccines are a conspiracy run by a cabal of evil Jews who also control the weather, it should be totally fine to fire that person. (And it is.)

I am talking about specific examples and Im not generalizing. I wouldnt wear an All lives Matter shirt because its obvious all lives matter. But if I was a US citizen I would wear a Blue Lives Matter shirt because I dont support the killing or defunding of the police, I have no issue if you want to wear a BLM shirt but how is it  reasonable if the same company allows one type of shirt and bans another. And its irrelevant when Blue lives matter came into existence because we all know it came about after BLM but thats not the point. You assuming that if I want to wear a Blue Lives shirt thats means I dont care about BLM or  unlawful actions by some police, thats not true as I explained. I dont tell people what SJ causes they can support as long as its legal 

And then are you saying by those links that highlight racist behavior that it represents what all Trump supporters believes so its okay to call them Nazi? We know that during some BLM protests there is looting and criminal behavior, does this mean its okay to call all BLM supporters criminals?

Because I dont believe that in the same way I dont believe all Trump supporters are racist or Nazi 

John Milton 

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

killing or defunding of the police

"Defunding the police" in case of America means to reassign funds to different branches, such as social services, which is much more helpful in half the cases. Besides, America's Police forces don't need more money. They already have tanks and military gear, what's next, cruise missiles? If at least the money was spend on better training, but clearly it is not.

I guess the slogan "defund the police" was badly chosen, since stupid people don't get it (or are getting intentionally misguided, I dunno).

That said, if I remember right, the statistics say that pizza delivery is a much more dangerous job than being a policeman, but nobody wants to give them more money. #PizzaDeliveryGuyLivesMatter.

/Edit: While we're at it, some funny meme.

Spoiler

Carefully Curated Crap, Volume 434

Edited by Lexx
  • Haha 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1123070/police-shootings-rate-ethnicity-us/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

https://www.odmp.org/search/year/2021

Note how almost no policemen die at the hands of criminals. Unless you count COVID, I guess.

So you can understand how people going "what about the poor dead policemen?" after black people point out that they are being killed at a much higher rate than other ethnicities by police, sounds a bit offensive. To add insult to injury, let's not forget that thanks to qualified immunity, the "bad apples" that are injuring and killing people, and found to be at fault, suffer little or no consequences for their actions. So people that talk about Blue Lives Matter are usually either ignorant, disingenuous, or practicing active disinformation.

By the way, just to makes things clear "bad apples" is in quotes because the problems that enable these bad actions by police, and keep them from consequences, are institutional and systemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Gasp! 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Elections in countries that are  free and fair should be  considered credible. Its not the fault of the outcomes if people dont vote

I dont consider  Russia, Iran or NK countries where elections are free and fair?

What does their elections not free and fair if you compare them to twitter poll that was run unannounced for couple hours and closed before original deadline? Where no one checked if people voted with multiple accounts and did bot accounts (which Musk himself says run rampant in Twitter). As you such poll was example of democracy where result is the only reason why people don't like it.

So is your reason why you think that Russia's Iran's and NK's elections aren't free and fair that you don't like outcomes?

I would remind that people running bot farms in Russia, Iran and NK were able to participate in Musk's poll, to give it that extra freedom of letting government supported trolls have their voice heard.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

"Defunding the police" in case of America means to reassign funds to different branches, such as social services, which is much more helpful in half the cases. Besides, America's Police forces don't need more money. They already have tanks and military gear, what's next, cruise missiles? If at least the money was spend on better training, but clearly it is not.

I guess the slogan "defund the police" was badly chosen, since stupid people don't get it (or are getting intentionally misguided, I dunno).

That said, if I remember right, the statistics say that pizza delivery is a much more dangerous job than being a policeman, but nobody wants to give them more money. #PizzaDeliveryGuyLivesMatter.

/Edit: While we're at it, some funny meme.

Reveal hidden contents

Carefully Curated Crap, Volume 434

I like those Legos memes :lol:

Do you know the majority  of black people in the US dont support defunding of the police and never have?

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/06/black-americans-overwhelmingly-oppose-defunding-police/

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

What does their elections not free and fair if you compare them to twitter poll that was run unannounced for couple hours and closed before original deadline? Where no one checked if people voted with multiple accounts and did bot accounts (which Musk himself says run rampant in Twitter). As you such poll was example of democracy where result is the only reason why people don't like it.

So is your reason why you think that Russia's Iran's and NK's elections aren't free and fair that you don't like outcomes?

I would remind that people running bot farms in Russia, Iran and NK were able to participate in Musk's poll, to give it that extra freedom of letting government supported trolls have their voice heard.

Fair enough, bots could have influenced the Trump vote on Twitter, I guess we will never know 

But we know elections arent free and fair in Russia, NK and Iran because people get arrested, poisoned or they dont have elections like in NK 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

28 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Do you know the majority  of black people in the US dont support defunding of the police and never have?

Luckily defunding the police is not about black people but the police in general, so it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Lexx
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Just now, Lexx said:

Luckily defunding the police is not about black people but the police in general, so it doesn't really matter.

:lol: 

Okay, thats the first time I have ever heard that perspective  before. Because the whole defunding the police became mainstream after the killing of George Floyd but actually  you right, its not about black people because its not what most black people want 

As the article mentions its espoused by a small but vocal group of self-proclaimed liberals and woke white people who speak on behalf of everyone else 

But you know what matters the most, some cities in the US have implemented degrees of defunding the police. Do you know of any benefits from these changes in any state or city, if you can find links that would be appreciated?

All I know  about is the real and perceived increased crime in the US and this gets both fairly and unfairly attributed to programs like defund the police and this is a negative outcome. So Im interested in positive outcomes from defunding the police?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Everyone must watch this video, its one of the funniest and accurate videos I have seen on a SJ topic 

Its about " how to be  a woke white person "  :grin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

*mutters something about rather driving rusty nails up his scrotum than clicking on a JP Sears video*

Its the first time I had heard of him when I watched this video but its hilarious even if he is infamous 

John Milton 

Huh, first time, his videos keep being posted by the reactionary twits on the board, and one is unfunnier than the next - and that was before the guy turned into a covid vaccine nutjob. Hard pass. :p 

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

JP Sears sucks. I've never loved his heavy handed videos in any case, but add in things like being an antivaxxer and... well it's kind of on brand for you I guess, Bruce ;)

Why am I not surprised you and Majestic dont like this video  :grin:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

20 minutes ago, majestic said:

Huh, first time, his videos keep being posted by the reactionary twits on the board, and one is unfunnier than the next - and that was before the guy turned into a covid vaccine nutjob. Hard pass. :p 

I noticed he has other videos on Youtube but I havent watched them and my views  on the virus and vaccine follow the science and doctors advice. Vaccines are the most effective way to prevent severe Covid symptoms and stop the spread and variants. So his view on that topic is meaningless  to me because it wont change my mind at all 

John Milton 

Well I know who JP Sears is now. Thanks for that I guess, in the off chance I happen to see a video of his in the future I'll know to close it immediately.

Anyways I think that by far the funniest thing about "defund the police" is that it never happened. The closest we've seen it happened is one major US city reducing the police budget by a whopping 1% (and that reduction may have been due to inflation rather than reallocation), with police still being the biggest thing the city spends money on. Yet there is such an enduring panic from people who simultaneously think that the gubbermint needs to spend less money. Between this, the CRT panic, the homophobic and transphobic panic, and concerns about election integrity you have a substantial number of people who are working themselves up to fascism (and a lot who are already there) over things that don't exist. This isn't going to end well.

Edited by Make a contract with KP

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Well, at least Bruce's not posting Prager U videos.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Well, at least Bruce's not posting Prager U videos.

Uh, why are you giving him ideas? :ermm:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 3
  • Gasp! 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just now, Bartimaeus said:

Uh, why are you giving him ideas? :huh:

As stolen from the YT comment, I'll just summarize them for him and everyone else

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra